Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ill be going to the track in a few weeks for fun and a couple grudge runs.

my toughest run will be against a local fox body stang with a mild cam and exhaust.

for those of you who have been to the track before, I have a few questions:

what rpm did you launch at?

what were your shift points in each gear?

did you go into 5th or ride out 4th to get the best time?

should i brake bost the car at the line? (if that's not the proper term please correct me). im referring to holding the rpm, letting out the clutch, and standing on the brakes to keep the car from moving forward, yet still build boost.

how hard did you shift into 2nd gear? thats the only tricky shift for me as it is so notchy.

should i take a practice run, then immediately run the mustang? i read a topic recently where one poster said his best tiems came when he ran the car back to back

how long should i let the car cool after the 90 minute drive to the track? should i ice down the TMIC?

this will be my very first time at the track with any car at all. what other advice can you give me specific to the MS6??

thanks in advance. ill have a video of the run...im hoping to hit between a 13.9-14.2 @ around 96 mph

·
Registered
870 Posts
There are quite a few threads in dyno and track & section about this.

For me 4500rpm yields the best launches. 1.7xx 60' times. Slip the cluch until you get forward motion then dump it.

My best runs were back to back because I'm warmed up from the previous run :)

Shift points 6200, 5700, 5700 seems to work best.

It seems riding out 4th gear is the best thing to do. I believe every who's gotten a 13.7 has done so.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i thought only one person had achieved a 13.7 at this point?

thanks for the info, you were the poster i was referencing :)

ill check out the other forum as well.

anyone else?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Should i brake boost the car at the line? (if that's not the proper term please correct me). I'm referring to holding the rpm, letting out the clutch, and standing on the brakes to keep the car from moving forward, yet still build boost.

[/b]
This is usually done with an automatic transmission on a turbo'd car. I don't have enough feet to do it with a manual transmission (brake, clutch and gas pedals).

Your car will build boost fast enough. I wouldn't worry about trying to make more at the starting line. Concentrate on getting a clean start and shifting.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i knew that it was usually used in roll racing, didn't think of it in an auto tranny though.

in theory though, couldn't you slip the clutch until the car was just barely moving, switch your left foot over to the brake and keep the car from moving while keeping the revs consistent with your right foot?

probably wouldnt be too good on the transmission though...

what about using the handbrake? has anyone actually tried this or is it better to be safe and just worry about it building boost on its own once moving.

i've let it rip in 1st before a few times ;) i know how quickly it builds boost...this car is a lot of fun :)

·
Registered
788 Posts
The main instance I can see for using the brake would be if you were trying light up the tires, but since we have awd, I don't really see how thats possible and if it was lighting up stock tires would actually make you slip even more being that they aren't slicks...the car launches mean enough with the above advice, i really don't think you need to do or try anything else...

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
what about using the handbrake? has anyone actually tried this or is it better to be safe and just worry about it building boost on its own once moving.

[/b]
I believe when you accuate the handbrake, it disconnects the rear diff.....

·
Registered
721 Posts
IMHO... stock launch rpm will be about 4K. If you have an intake and exhaust setup, you can drop that to 3400rpm. stock shift point should be 6K, 5.8K, 5.8K. modded will be higher at 6.5K, 6.2K, 6K.

slip the clutch off the line and dump it once you have the hole shot. don't worry about building boost, there is plenty there. as far as the 1-2 shift is concerned, don't be afraid of it. you literally have to slam that thing in there or you will grind. Same with third.

good luck.

·
Registered
240 Posts
A fox body mustang with a cam and exhaust isn't fast........ they run mid 15's stock. Those cars only put about 160-170 to the wheels in stock form. I've absolutely annhilated a stock 5.0 with and exhaust on a lighter Mercury Capri.
My friend has an 87 GT Convertible that is fully built (forged internals, heads, cam, intake, headers, exhaust, ecu tuning, etc etc) and the best that car has done is a 12.9. The best my friend has run in it is a 13.58 with Nitto Drags on the back.... this is after about 7 mid 14 second passes.
You shouldn't have any problem with a fox body mustang unless the guy driving is absolutely amazing and you suck. And since you're getting good advice from these forums you shouldn't do too bad. :D
I would get a practice run in to get a feel for your launch and shift points and then go head to head on your second pass. You'll definitely out launch him unless he's on drag tires. You should pull a 1.8 60' to his 2.0 ish so you'll have a nice head start. Stay into the gas during the 1-2 shift because if you let off fully it'll take awhile for boost to build in 2nd gear.
Most importantly, have fun!!

·
Registered
788 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to discount fox body mustangs, if the suspension is setup right with a cam, intake and exhaust they can be very quick, but the likely hood that this fox body is what I am describing when I say "setup right" is pretty slim, so have fun and kill the mudstain, lol...

·
Registered
270 Posts
experience from my days driving around camaros/firebirds:
if anyone were to take the time to remove the heads and intake to replace the cam in a 5.0 they would also probably at least get the heads worked a little and the intake port matched. Like platinum said, they can be very quick. without much work they can be in the mid 13s. however they never seem to get much faster than that unless they get extreme or force fed.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I wouldn't be so quick to discount fox body mustangs, if the suspension is setup right with a cam, intake and exhaust they can be very quick, but the likely hood that this fox body is what I am describing when I say "setup right" is pretty slim, so have fun and kill the mudstain, lol...
[/b]

In no way am I discounting fox body mustangs as a whole. I get down to the track about every other week so I've seen plenty of fast foxes.

However, without nitrous or a supercharger, they generally aren't something I'd be afraid to run against. The built mustang my friend owns is on Eibach Sportline springs and I don't think he knows anything about suspension (he didn't build the car) so I doubt the suspension is tuned for a great launch. However, the kid that built the car ran a 12.9 in it on street tires.... Aron, my friend, couldn't back up his 13.58 with the Nitto Drags on it. It all comes down to the driver.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
d'oh, i forgot that engaging the handbrake disconnects the rear diff...

im willing to slam 2nd as long as im not limping back to the starting line after fuxing up my tranny. i rememebr from doing some research on the mazdaspeed protege's that they had problems with a speedy 1-2 shift as well.

mustang mods:

"3.73's, al d/s, BFG Gforce KDWs, TFS stage1 cam, full roller rockers, and my 20 hp adding steeda triax...oh, and a couple other things..."

i think itll be a damn close driver's race. im hoping if i jump him off the line ill be able to hold out through the length of te 1/4. again, this is his frist time going to a track as well as mine. im not owrried about my 2-3 shift or 3-4 shift, ive been punching it lately from a roll and practicing and i think ive almost got it down to a science

im so excited i cant wait to get some times for this car...i hope i can come back and say i'm the proud owner of a 13 second car :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
d'oh, i forgot that engaging the handbrake disconnects the rear diff...

im willing to slam 2nd as long as im not limping back to the starting line after fuxing up my tranny. i rememebr from doing some research on the mazdaspeed protege's that they had problems with a speedy 1-2 shift as well.

mustang mods:

"3.73's, al d/s, BFG Gforce KDWs, TFS stage1 cam, full roller rockers, and my 20 hp adding steeda triax...oh, and a couple other things..."

i think itll be a damn close driver's race. im hoping if i jump him off the line ill be able to hold out through the length of te 1/4. again, this is his frist time going to a track as well as mine. im not owrried about my 2-3 shift or 3-4 shift, ive been punching it lately from a roll and practicing and i think ive almost got it down to a science

im so excited i cant wait to get some times for this car...i hope i can come back and say i'm the proud owner of a 13 second car :)
[/b]

A fox body with a manual (You said you installed a Tri-axe so it is) with a TFS stage 1 cam, and stock E7TZs with stock intake, and exhaust, should lay down close to 250rwhp and 280-300rwtq. With 3.73s and good tires, if you beat him, its only because he doesnt know how to drive.... But that being said, your AWD is going to be a lil easier to get the hang of specialy if he has never raced before....I suspect that he will not break a 14.2 @ 97mph, and you will be a 14.1 @ 96mph (these are my predictions)

·
Registered
803 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
that's what im looking for. i know i can hit somewhere between a 14.2 and 13.9 in theory.

i'd be overjoyed if my baby could touch 13's stock, but a low 14 is 350z territory so i'd be happy with that as well.

weather is cooling off up here so im psyched. tonight i was rowing through the gears and getting on the throttle a lot more than usual and i can tell the car likes it a little better when its 60 out as opposed to 90 and muggy :)

hopefully the temps will continue to lower and when we run itll be a good crisp 55-60 or so. ill keep you guys updated. seems to be pretty split down the middle in terms of who thinks who will beat who acording to everyone i've talked to/posted for.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Its definitely a driver's race no matter what race it is, lol...someone misses a shift, launches late, etc... the hp numbers are not great enough to make it a complete blowout on either side...

·
Registered
113 Posts
A fox body mustang with a cam and exhaust isn't fast........ they run mid 15's stock. Those cars only put about 160-170 to the wheels in stock form. I've absolutely annhilated a stock 5.0 with and exhaust on a lighter Mercury Capri.
My friend has an 87 GT Convertible that is fully built (forged internals, heads, cam, intake, headers, exhaust, ecu tuning, etc etc) and the best that car has done is a 12.9. The best my friend has run in it is a 13.58 with Nitto Drags on the back.... this is after about 7 mid 14 second passes.
You shouldn't have any problem with a fox body mustang unless the guy driving is absolutely amazing and you suck. And since you're getting good advice from these forums you shouldn't do too bad. :D
I would get a practice run in to get a feel for your launch and shift points and then go head to head on your second pass. You'll definitely out launch him unless he's on drag tires. You should pull a 1.8 60' to his 2.0 ish so you'll have a nice head start. Stay into the gas during the 1-2 shift because if you let off fully it'll take awhile for boost to build in 2nd gear.
Most importantly, have fun!!
[/b]

Mid 15s stock?? You clearly have no clue.

·
Registered
240 Posts
That's a little harsh Sweet35th............... :-/

From my experience at the track 15.2 -15.5 is a normal time for a stock 87-93 mustang. I'm sure with a good driver better times are easily attainable but I was speaking from my personal experience at the track. You don't have to be a dick and say I have no clue, you could easily just say you've seen better times out of a stock car. What's the fastest you've seen a stock fox body run??

·
Registered
113 Posts
That's a little harsh Sweet35th............... :-/

From my experience at the track 15.2 -15.5 is a normal time for a stock 87-93 mustang. I'm sure with a good driver better times are easily attainable but I was speaking from my personal experience at the track. You don't have to be a dick and say I have no clue, you could easily just say you've seen better times out of a stock car. What's the fastest you've seen a stock fox body run??
[/b]
Damnit, well you didnt have to make me feel so bad about saying it......

How bout a hug?? :D

15.2-15.5 would be norm for a 2.73 gear AOD fox body. In the hands of even some of the most modest drivers, a T5 fox is generaly in the 14s. I have gone 13.7s in an 89 fox with just gears and cold air intake.. I will pat myself on the back and say I can drive better than most, but as I said in my post. I agree its a drivers race, but only because the fox car should beat the MS6, and its going to have to mean the MS6 driver is a good driver, and the fox driver a poor driver to make the differance.

·
Registered
566 Posts
One of the car magazines was getting 250 hp out of an 86 with pulleys, K&N, Mobil 1. With the better rear gears they were definitely down in the 14s (eg, no visible changes). Very much down to the driver I'm sure.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts