Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I may have found a very rare, one of a kind find that I just can't pass up.

A Camaro? No. A Mustang? No. A Mustang modified with Camaro body parts? Not quite. It is a 1974 AMC AMX Pierre Cardin edition. One of 4,152 produced. It either has a 360 or 401 V8 underneath the hood.

The picture above is just a representation, I am just following the rumor mill, I have yet to see the car for myself. My co-workers know my need to be unique and drive unique cars, modify uniquely. So when one of them found out their uncle had a recently purchased 74 AMX, he took a quick look over and reported it back to me.

It needs some work, a little body rust, could use fresh paint, needs a tune-up, but it runs, it drives. It has headers on it which resemble Hooker Headers ($500+ headers) and an aftermarket 4-bbl carb, it is a 3-spd manual. The most important detail was "the funky striping on the seats" and some strange person's name on the car. I did some quick research and found that strange person was 1970s French designer, Pierre Cardin, he lent his name to only 4,152 Javelins and AMXs, it was an interior upgrade with L-shaped striping on the seats, headliner and inserts and the seats recieved a satin-like material.

I don't know the color, but Pierre Cardin only put his name on Javelins and AMXs that were Trans Am Red, Snow White, Stardust Silver, Diamond Blue, Wild Plum and Midnight Black. Only 12 Midnight Black Pierre Cardin editions were made. The interior upgrade cost the buyer $80 back in 1972 to 1974, nowadays it easily adds 10% to the asking price.

Here is once in a lifetime chance, he paid only $300 for it from an old man, the chance of me picking it up for $800 or less is very good. In the condition it is in, it probably could go for $1,300 easy. In good condition, $7,000 to $11,000.

·
Registered
788 Posts
it's cool ... and a smart buy ... my parents owned a 1970 Grand Prix SJ and I can remember beiing 10 years old in the back seat listenting to manford man ... those were the days ... here is a representation:
http://www.dealsonwheels.com/database/cars/107173big.jpg
I would like to get one for cheap!!! This car was designed by John Delorian himself!!! Good luck - Go for the purchase - it's a no brainer!!!

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Believe or not this was the very first car I ever owned. It was a brown Javelin SST with the same type of stripes. It had the 360 motor and a 3spd auto tranny, with the inverted U shaped shifter. I forget which model year, something like '71 or '72 or so, but it was the 2nd generation, with the Coke body narrow waist. I was 17, and I bought it in late 1976. I upgraded the shocks on the car and ended up starting to punch a hole through the floor of the trunk (well the raised area behind the rear seat and at the front of the trunk), where the upper shock mount was. Seems that AMC used the soft metal of the floor as a mounting point for the shocks, which was not a good idea. There was only an extra flap of metal welded in place to serve as some reinforcement.

It was my juvenile attempt at being "cool" by having a "muscle" car. I kept it for a year until I traded it in for a '75 TR7.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Good luck - Go for the purchase - it's a no brainer!!!
[/b]
Thats for sure! If you can score it and the body is straight, do it.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,533 Posts
Very cool!

Pick it up, if you can. It's a rare find, for sure, but since some musclecars are hitting SEVEN figures at auction these days, I wouldn't be surprised if the value of that AMX took off in a few years, despite the fact it's a '74.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I may have found a very rare, one of a kind find that I just can't pass up...One of 4,152 produced.
[/b]
How can it be one of a kind, if 4152 were produced? :headscrat:

Here is once in a lifetime chance, he paid only $300 for it from an old man, the chance of me picking it up for $800 or less is very good. In the condition it is in, it probably could go for $1,300 easy. In good condition, $7,000 to $11,000.
[/b]
Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but that is the lure of all vehicle restorations. "I can fix it up and make a mint!" Most vehicle restorations are a money-losing proposition. You'd better do your homework and crunch the numbers first. If you're buying it to drive and enjoy, by all means do so. You'll have something unique you can take to car shows and talk about. If you're buying it as an investment...well, good luck. Btw, I have some beachfront property in Kansas I'd love to talk to you about...

·
Registered
788 Posts
Dude (above) you must be in your teens...A fine automobile like this appreciates in value even just rusting in the garage...your mazda lost 33% of its value in less than 12 months...chrunch...If you bought a 1987 GNX for 30K you could sell it now for 3 times the price!!! The REAL problem is any car produced prior to say 1980 has a past that can not be easily idenified...Carol Shelby proclaims that there are so many fake GT 350 / GT 500 Mustang's even he can't tell a clone from an orginial!!!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Dude (above) you must be in your teens...A fine automobile like this appreciates in value even just rusting in the garage...[/b]
:laugh: You think I'm 19? Oh, that's rich! :laugh: :laugh:

You keep believing what you wrote. I'll give you another name for most vehicle restorations. Unfinished. Why? MONEY PIT. 'Nuff said. Believe what you want. A car is worth only what someone will pay for it. The '71-'74 AMXs were really only Javelin trim packages anyway. The more desirable AMXs were first-gen ('68-'70). And those are going for about only $12,500 in restored condition on ebay anyway. So, as an investment, it ain't going to bring home much money. But as a daily driver, who knows? That's how most cars should be considered anyway.

Btw, the LITTLE bit of web researching I've done seems to indicate that the Pierre Cardin edition was a special edition Javelin, not an AMX. And it would be a '72 or '73, not a '74.

http://www.javelinamx.com/JavHome/basics/basics.htm#1972

And this is what it looks like:

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
.If you bought a 1987 GNX for 30K you could sell it now for 3 times the price!!! [/b]
Wow... 300% in 20 years. So, even if you had the foresight to pick a car that was going to be worth money in 20 years, which is a complete crapshoot, you still only stand to make about as much money as you would if you put it in a mutual fund (300% in 20 years is only ~11% per year).

Wooo. That's something worth three exclamation points!!! Factor in depreciation and you only doubled your money in 20 years. Not counting what it cost you to store and maintain it for a substantial portion of your entire life. Big whoopty-doo. And that's worth celebrating as some massive return? You've got a 50/50 chance of picking a stock that will outperform the return (how many non-exotic car models have appreciated a penny in 25 years with zero miles -- no more than a few, for sure), and it's not like you can even enjoy the car in the mean-time because the only way to make it worth anything is if you just garage it.

Cars are money sinks 99.99999% of the time, even "collectible" ones. And the chances of this car appreciating in value in any significant matter (more than a couple % a year, if at all) is really small. A production of 4,152 in collectability terms might as well be 400 hundred-thousand. It's too common to really gain value. Now, if it was one of those 12 Black ones, that might be worth something. And even that changes day-to-day. One day your car might be "worth" $2 million (like '71 Hemi 'Cudas). The next day it's only "worth" $500,000; it entirely depends on the market for these cars which is so small that, when one guy drops out, your car's value falls in half.

Oh, and BTW, I dunno about yours, but my Mazda6 took a full three years to lose 33% of what I paid for it.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
And to add to Sigma's argument, you're hardly comparing apples to apples by including the GNX. For one, only 547 of those were made and only in one model year. They were highly sought after from day one because that car is quite special (I've never even seen one!). The original sticker was $25,000, but I can assure you the vast majority, if not all the original owners paid above that. There was huge hype when that car came out. And if you still think I'm 19, :laugh: I was 22 when the 1987 GNX came out. Funny, though, that the Grand National, on which the GNX is based, are dime-a-dozen.

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
How can it be one of a kind, if 4152 were produced? :headscrat:
Not trying to rain on your parade or anything, but that is the lure of all vehicle restorations. "I can fix it up and make a mint!" Most vehicle restorations are a money-losing proposition. You'd better do your homework and crunch the numbers first. If you're buying it to drive and enjoy, by all means do so. You'll have something unique you can take to car shows and talk about. If you're buying it as an investment...well, good luck. Btw, I have some beachfront property in Kansas I'd love to talk to you about...
[/b]
My uncles made a pretty good living off it.

(thtas my mom in the second to last pic, sorry...

He's got about 12 other muscle cars and a roadster. Thats all he did when worked for a tool and die company. Now that he had to retire early due to his back and something with a disx in his spine. He makes money showing them.

That is the exact Vette he said will get passed down to me. (rumour has it it's going to be my wedding present from him in April) It was my Grandpa's and after he died my Uncle decided to fix it up in memory of him. as well as the Roadster he just finished. (When he passed away they nominated him in the sprint car hall of fame)

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well it is midnight black :D I have still yet to see the car for myself, mainly because I have been working 17 days straight without a day off and most times getting off of work really late. So my co-worker peeked and asked a little more. He told me it looks like original paint or someone did a really good paint job and aged it. Paint in the door jambs and usual spots where most painters usually skimp or don't do their best, match the exterior paint perfectly. They also have the title and want $2,000 for it, but may take less because no one in this town knows what an AMC is, let alone wants one. He knows he has something with the obvious emblems and striping, but doesn't know exactly what he has.

So only 11 other midnight black Javelin AMX PCs in the world, is that a little closer to your definition of one of a kind, toyoguy? :D

There seems to be some disinformation and confusion going around, some AMC sites I visit say there were no more PC editions in 1974, others I visit say it was the last year of the PC. So I am going to see if my local Waldenbooks can get me the Illustrated AMC Buyers Guide, to see how much that midnight black Javelin AMX PC really is worth.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts