Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, well I don't know if this ever happened to you guys, but I'm beginning to think I bought the wrong car! Early yesterday morning I was doing about 190km/h on the highway, when I saw a flash in my RVM. Not bothering what it was, I pressed on to about 205km/h and the bastard still managed to close in on me. Eventually I had no choice but to make way at 200-205 and, guess what: a freaking Hyundai Accent! Yes, I was outdone by a car 2/3 my engine's size and half as expensive!
I spent the whole of Tuesday thinking about how this might have happened, but couldn't think of anything that might have helped him manage to outrun me, except that perhaps he was in my slipstream. But then again, he was too far back when he flashed me, and when I moved over to the right, the damn Accent still kept on.
What happened this morning, however, would've been funny if it weren't so ridiculous. The same scenario all over again, except this time it was a battered late 90s 626! Yes, I did reach a little over 205 km/h, but the 626 still outran me in both acceleration and speed! Sorry to have to say this, but now I'm seriously considering jumping ship! Don't get me wrong: I love the 6, and I think it's probably the best-value car on the market today, but this? I feel I ought to rethink my whole motoring philosophy!

Shady

·
Registered
793 Posts
LOL, you'll still out handle both cars regardless of the straight line speed, thats why i love my 6.

Its funny cuz some daym accent did the same thing to me a few weeks ago. We were at a light and both took off on green. It was pretty even all the way up through 2nd which is about 80mph on the atx. You could tell it was modded somewhat, at least an intake but common a Hyundai Accent.

Who would of thought!

Its time to start the serious mods!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Who would of thought!

Its time to start the serious mods!
[/b]
Amen to both!
like I said, I do love my 6 regardless of the twin setbacks. I love it so much, in fact, that I'm considering leasing a second one, this time with a manual. The dealer gave me a very good (but not as good as I'd like) offer on leftover loaded 2005's with the MTX. It's the same as my car sans the sunroof. Problem is, he's quoting me the same price as a comparable 2006! and the latter has a 6-speed MTX, traction control, memory seats and - most important - a much-needed dose of low-end torque!
As for mods, however, I'm not sure they'd be that much useful with the car being an ATX. As you might have guessed, my main problem with the car's performance is the lack of low-end torque (and the unavailability of a V6). I'd probably start with removing the air box and running a cold air intake. I would consider chipping or an exhaust, but I wanna keep things a little civilized. Moreover, I'm not inclined to spend too much on a leased car before I own it up.

Shady

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Who is it say what mods they may or may not have had, if they were stock i would say your car has issues, but if the accent had a 50 shot and the 626 had a KLZE swap then they are both capable cars....

·
Registered
542 Posts
He has the 4 cylinder since the V6 is only available in north america..... and he is from the middleeast.
I think the most feasable option is to trade your car in for a mazdaspeed 3. It would probly run cirlcles around most cars that you would encounter.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
You have no idea if the Hyundai or 626 were stock, so don't get down on your car too much. But it is QUITE well known that the 6 -- even the V6 version -- is NOT a 0-60 car, so the acceleration shouldn't be a surprise.

Oh, and are those speeds legal in Saudi Arabia? If so, I may have to volunteer for a deployment! :)

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
You have no idea if the Hyundai or 626 were stock, so don't get down on your car too much. But it is QUITE well known that the 6 -- even the V6 version -- is NOT a 0-60 car, so the acceleration shouldn't be a surprise.

Oh, and are those speeds legal in Saudi Arabia? If so, I may have to volunteer for a deployment! :)
[/b]
What are you talkin' about !? Car & Driver had it runnin 0-60 at 6.4 sec. & 15.1 at 93 MPH on the quarter mile with the v6 :yesnod: in 2003 .... not bad at all for a heavy (see below) FWD 4-door

For your sad dilemma , six-wheeler - I say it has to do with weight .... the 6 is a heavy car weighing 50 kilos more than my v8 fully loaded Mustang Cobra ! and your little 4 cyl. is struggling in the weight to power ratio against those modified Accents & whoever else likes to drive as fast as you - are there a lot !? - I mean driving an Accent at that speed ; it's gotta be modified !!

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I have the 2.3.
The issue was not as much the acceleration as it was the top speed. it just wouldn't go further. And I believe both cars were stock, because the Hyundai was brand new and showed no sign of modification (you know, hub caps and all) and the 626's doors were practically falling off!
I shouldn't be so sad, though, because I regularly take on V8 Crown Vics - and win hands down :)
Oh and no, those speeds aren't legal. In fact, I should set a budget for speeding tickets (though I haven't had any this year, knock on wood!) :sarc:

Shady

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
What are you talkin' about !? Car & Driver had it runnin 0-60 at 6.4 sec. & 15.1 at 93 MPH on the quarter mile with the v6 :yesnod: in 2003 .... not bad at all for a heavy (see below) FWD 4-door
[/b]
Not bad for a 4-door family sedan, but not exactly drag race material either. Stock -- not a drag racing car when compared to other options out there. Especially the 2.3.

I have the 2.3.
The issue was not as much the acceleration as it was the top speed. it just wouldn't go further. And I believe both cars were stock, because the Hyundai was brand new and showed no sign of modification (you know, hub caps and all) and the 626's doors were practically falling off!
I shouldn't be so sad, though, because I regularly take on V8 Crown Vics - and win hands down :)
Oh and no, those speeds aren't legal. In fact, I should set a budget for speeding tickets (though I haven't had any this year, knock on wood!) :sarc:

Shady
[/b]
Are the speed limiters set to 120 mph for 6s in Saudi? They are for those in the US, but not those in, say, the UK....

·
Registered
898 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Actually... one month after I got the car, I was arrested for speeding. I was doing 180 in a 100 zone. I tended to get more tickets in my Benz, but for lesser speeds.

I don't think so. My car has a 240km/h speedo and I have done as high as 223 (with a slight downhill or some back winds).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts