Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My question is dumb but I honestly cant find it online.

I am guessing this is a tranny cooler except the fluid in the line was nasty and looked more like old oil. (my tranny fluid is pink on the dipstick) and everything I am reading shows the oil cooler looking completely different and they say the tranny cooler, if it has one, is inside the radiator. (maybe a power steering?)

Just trying to confirm what this cooler is for :) Where it connects to the radiator the hose is split and I just moved the clamp further back a few months ago, finally have warm weather again to fiddle with it. Wanting to replace the hose with the correct hose is all. (and size if anyone knows it offhand, although a fuel hose would probably work fine and its probably 5/8s like most hoses) Thanks so much for the input! I couldnt find it in my manual and it doesnt appear to be a replacement part as I cant find anything similar to buy online. Its probably like 5x8 baby radiator.
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Automotive wheel system Gas

Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is to cool the power steering.
Thank you! Gah, my power steering fluid looks much better further up! Its downright nasty looking when I replaced the radiator. Replacing the tube that connects to the radiator from it as its split. No need to drain the radiator atleast this time :) and it leaking fluid will be a boon! It needs replacin anyway.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That is to cool the power steering.
Do you by chance know, this hose doesnt need to be a hydraulic hose does it? I know further up in the system with pressure it probably does but down there I was not sure(lower end radiator connection) The current one on my car is probably heater hose and I had planned to replace it with the same but im reading PS fluid is no good for heater hoses.
(This may explain why the current hose is splitting and falling apart tho)

·
Rally Racer
2004 Mazda 6s Wagon ATX
4,443 Posts
My question is dumb but I honestly cant find it online.

I am guessing this is a tranny cooler except the fluid in the line was nasty and looked more like old oil. (my tranny fluid is pink on the dipstick) and everything I am reading shows the oil cooler looking completely different and they say the tranny cooler, if it has one, is inside the radiator. (maybe a power steering?)

Just trying to confirm what this cooler is for :) Where it connects to the radiator the hose is split and I just moved the clamp further back a few months ago, finally have warm weather again to fiddle with it. Wanting to replace the hose with the correct hose is all. (and size if anyone knows it offhand, although a fuel hose would probably work fine and its probably 5/8s like most hoses) Thanks so much for the input! I couldnt find it in my manual and it doesnt appear to be a replacement part as I cant find anything similar to buy online. Its probably like 5x8 baby radiator.
View attachment 246413

Thanks for the help!
Coolant hose is no bueno for oil.

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Gas Electrical wiring Machine

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Coolant hose is no bueno for oil.

View attachment 246427
I think the line from the bottom of the radiator went to that little finned radiator but it was 100 out and 4 hours into that dang radiator repair so I may of been off and it went to the PS. It looks like in your image that is the power steering line to the bottom of radiator.
EITHER WAY :) I will get an oil rated hose not coolant hose.

Now to google for the hose diameter :D Thanks again!

edit
Im going to have to get under there and see which one its clamped onto so I get the right hose! Yay memory :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts