Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m wondering if my TB is starting to go, and am thinking about jumping the shark before I end-up pulled-over on the side of the freeway. Before I shell out the money for the optimzed, I’m curious if others symptoms were the same as mine.

In the last 2-3 weeks I am getting a surging when at cruise. Can be 20mph, can be 35mph, can be 55mph. OCCASIONALLY I get a slight idle drop from a bit too high down to a correct range when pulling to a stop. Acceleration from a stop is good, so I’m thinking it’s not the tranny acting-up. EGR is clean as can be. No vacuum leaks I can find. Does it even when cold so I’m ruling-out a spark plug heat range issue following my header & intake installs. I don’t believe it’s the issue, but I will clean the MAF sensor, just in case.

My throttle body is a supposedly good ‘BB’ model. And I am getting zero CEL codes of any kind at any time. If I use the TPS readout on my ScanGuage the reading remains dead steady when at cruise even though the car is surging. I’d think if it was the TPS I’d be seeing the numbers for it all over the place. I’m wondering if it a different electronics issue within the TB.
Curious what others have seen.
Thanks

--edit-- what I'm looking for is if anyone has had their TB go bad without codes and was fixed by installing the optimized. I'm pretty certain that's my issue, but I'm not certain. with zero codes it's hard to tell.

·
Registered
781 Posts
personally i did not see a huge difference, but i had installed mine the same time a put my cpe intake in. so i had a huge difference from the cpe.
i do know that twowheelin raised the price a lot from where he used to be, think he's charging close to $400 now...

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, my issue is I may need a new TB because I feel mine is going bad. If I do, for the extra $30 or so over Mazda OEM, I'm thinking it'd be smart to go with the optimized.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well, it's not the plugs. Took out the Bosch Platinum 2 and replaced them with NGK G-power. Zero difference in how the car runs, idles, etc.

This is getting annoying. And starting to point more and more to a TB issue that simply isn't throwing a code.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Last night after the plugs and new intake gaskets it didn't improve.

Later on I decided to clean the MAF, even though I'd done so just 2 months ago when I put the MazdaSpeed intake back on. I didn't drive it afterwards.

I also figured 'What the heck' and gave the EGR a couple of good whacks with a screwdriver handle this morning after I started it.

Now, on the way to work this morning it was 100 times better. Wasn't gone completely, but nowhere near as often and nowhere near as severe.

Tonight I'm thinking I'll hose down the EGR with carb cleaner and then take it for a drive. If that doesn't cure it, I may put the factory airbox back on and see what happens.

And still not a single code.....

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If the WeaponX coils do not do anything drastic for my 16.5-19.5 MPG, I may revisit the idea of an Optimized TB. Not for the 'optimization' part, but simply out of curiosity if my TB is the source of my problem. I've been over everything else in this car and nothing improves the MPG.

·
Banned
538 Posts
INFO

Karl, the only thing I did with mine was cut one side of throttle body butterfly shaft down. I re-used screws (they said re-threading it may damage it or put it out of alignment). I did not knife or bore it. Below I did some previous research with clips about this and Steeda spacer.

I have the tuneable Mafci system and the spacer leaned out my A/F ratio another .4 point and got rid of my bouncing idle for the most part (side effect of a bored/optimized TB) I can further lean it out if need be using the tuneable feature.The stock MAP that comes with the Mafci is a good one but not for everyone trying to get the most out of their car.

It will work just fine on the non-tuneable,grdrail82 was the first one to use this and he had the non-tuneable Mafci and he loved it.He even picked up a little mpg with it.

When I first modded my TB I polished the entire bore, but only increased the diameter of the "horn"area. I noticed more low end torque after that mod. After I bored the entire unit another 4mm the low end torque went away, but I felt top end gain. I think the effect of a TB spacer might be exactly the same....higher velocity, lower density. It wasnt dramatic, but it was noticeable.
i have one on my 6, the difference i feel is off the line i get a lot more wheel spin.

Two wheelin doesnt make the throttle body bored anymore, just optimized. I got my optimized throttle body and the throttle body spacer, and i'm happy. So I think you will be happy either way

but has anyone seen an increase in fuel economy with this?
Avg of 1-2 mpg increase for me since install

Power wise is there any difference? maybe when I get on it it seems to accelerate into the upper rpms faster, but without a way to really test it I cant verify that.
The only thing I noticed is with my optimized throttle body the opening in the spacer seems a touch smaller the fins especially if I open the plate while its reassembled I can see them protruding. I might down the road get a few new sanding drums for my dremel and match the spacer opening to the gasket diameter.

The "chirp, whistle, hisssssss" is normal and can be heard btwn 2800-4600 RMP (for me anyway). The TBS fins help to swirl the air for (better?) combustion and the whistle is a by-product of this. Yes they do protrude into the airstream a bit, but not enough to make a difference, especially with the optimized TB.

I have a optimized TB w/ spacer and the noise is loud but sounds great IMO. Sounds more like a loud sucking sound then air hissing or blowing out. It aint bad.

Well Dave found SPACER to lean the A/F ratio .5 which is good considering our cars run pig rich. Other than that smoothed idle on bored/optimized TB's, a little whistle/chirp sound under acceleration around 3k I believe, maybe some performance benefits but it was never dyno tested.

Does anyone feel that the throttle response is better after the installation of the spacer, or am I the only one. Yeah i haven't thrown any codes either. 2005 Mazda6s 3.0L V6 (MTX)
likewise on the codes, or the lack there of.

I just installed the steeda spacer and the optimized TB, and let me tell you that hissing noise sounds great, it goes real good in sync with the Injen CAI. I noticed right away a smoother idle and better response off the line as well as better drive. I cant tell you whether the
spacer was a large contributer over the optimized TB, but that spacer sounds great!

I've been driving around with SPACER for almost a month. At first, I thought there was better throttle response, but now I think that can be attributed to just resetting the computer when I disconnected the battery. The sound is bordering on annoying. I think someone mentioned that it sounded like a BOV on a turbo. It doesn't sound like that at all for me. It's a long squeal just after hard acceleration.

SPACER made the throttle a little better but 1-2 hp is something hard to notice!! But overall I would buy it again just make sure you have no leaks!! I installed it and then redid it making sure the gaskets were properly seated with no leaks!

Ok, now to true gains from this thing. SPACER leans out the air/fuel ratio an average of .4 across the rpm range with a peak of .7 at 6400rpms. I verified this with one of the tech's scan tools. I really don't know if this increases any whp,but SPACER does improve my idle and got rid of the bouncing idle of the BORED TB.However, butt dyno says I lost a little on the bottom end.Overall,I am satisfied with my purchase

I've got T.B. mod on my 6 and I agree with everyone here, it's a great mod. It gives much better throttle response but as for gains, I think it's a +5hp gain. Not %100 sure though. Much more airflow than the crappy Throttle Body our 6's came with.

i Replaced the tb with a new otb from cordova. and i noticed quite the throttle lag and it felt like my motor mounts were going bad. so i replaced them for awr mounts and things got a little better. Now my issues are throttle lag and when i put the clutch in to start slowing down my engine almost dies and the automatic choke kicks in (or whatever kicks in) and revs back up to 1500-2000rpms then drops back to 700 idle. So I'm debating on getting the software up grade for the new throttlebody for 95 bucks if its going to even do anything?
Response:
see idk about that issue.... replacing the throttlebody with the one from cordova fixed most of my issues ... i mean yea i know my trans slipps a little bit every once in a while but i have 122,000 miles on my car ... bit idk why it would do that on a maual car ... check your clutch fluid that might be one problem ... or maybe just your pedal isnt adjusted correctly if you put in a new clutch

The stock CFM flows far and above what either the naturally aspirated 4 or 6 cyl engines need. A crappy 55mm TB (probably like ours), should still flow at least 350 cfm, and some of the quality aftermarket ones at 55mm flow more like 850cfm. That is what 5 liter & up V8 guys are using; you don't need anywhere near that amount. Certainly not with a a non-turbo/non-supercharged 4 cylinder engine. Clean-up some of the crap interior finishing and get rid of that 'ledge' 3/5 the way in and you'll almost certainly feel a difference in response, but I even then doubt you'll see any HP gains.

I ordered the optimized throttlebody from twowheelin, and installed it about a week ago. I have a 06 6i atx, and at first I noticed a great increase in throttle response. Along with that increase in throttle response I noticed that the car was idling differently. A week later I noticed the more i drove the car the smoother the drive became (assuming the ecu adjusted itself) but there has been a decrease in throttle response. I was curious if this is normal?
I also noticed that the throttlebody itself makes a buzzing noise while idling. I was wondering if this was normal as well
Response:If it is buzzing at idle then chances are it is not sitting right. Whenever someone touches the TB that is the risk they take because it can take quite a few attempts to get the gasket to make a proper seal once the bolts are tightened. Did you tighten the bolts in an X-diagonal method? Opposite tightening allows the TB to be seated evenly onto the gasket.
In addition, I hear some refer to high idles. I havent experienced any because we have a Steeda TB Spacer as well and makes the whissh sound when accelerating.

just recieved my optimized throttlebody. It took about 10 minutes to install and what a difference. Not only is the idle alot smoother but i do notice a power difference. Not sure how much really but the throw the head back in the seat effect when punching the throttle is greater than stock. Very much worth it.

I got a chance today to run to the shop and install my new PulseStar spark plugs. While I'm at it, i also replaced my old TB with the new optimized throttlebody and Steeda spacer. After everything is done, i started up the car and instantly got a CEL. So i ran to AutoZone and got the code pulled. While driving there, I experience some weird stuff with the throttle.. Every time i hit the gas, it would take 1-2 seconds for the car to actually "pulls" and for RPM needle to go up... weird.. Im not sure what those code means but im sure its something related to the new optimized throttlebody i installed. At first i was thinking something wrong with the spark plugs cause i heard many people got CEL from installing the new PulseStar spark plugs but turn out it was not
There are dozens of the 3.0L optimized TBs installed with 0 problems reported. Please double check your gaskets, hoses and electrical connections.
well i got the CEL clear and took out the TB to make sure everything is good. Put it back on and no CEL came on so i guess everything is ok now...

You will enjoy the smoother idle with the grounding kit.Mounted at throttle body

From what I see here it looks like the optimized TB is good for 1-3 HP gain across the rev range with a peak value that is about 2 HP higher than my highest stock run. The torque curve shows a little stronger gains for the optimized TB across the rev range with a peak of about that is almost 5 Lbs. higher. DYNO RESULTS FOR 4 CYL: The Bored+Optimized showed a slight 1/2 HP peak gain over the optimized but a slight decrease in peak and lower RPM torque. I think the results could have been a little better for both the optimized and bored if the ECU had a few run cycles to get calibrated. Unfortunately, the guys at the shop were getting fidgety to put there latest turboed Vette back on the rack

:search: :leghump: :rofl:

·
Registered
585 Posts
If the WeaponX coils do not do anything drastic for my 16.5-19.5 MPG, I may revisit the idea of an Optimized TB. Not for the 'optimization' part, but simply out of curiosity if my TB is the source of my problem. I've been over everything else in this car and nothing improves the MPG.
Karl, you've verified the MAF sensor reads correctly at idle and 2500 rpm? (~3.7 g/s at 700-800 rpm and ~11 g/s at 2500 rpm)

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Karl, you've verified the MAF sensor reads correctly at idle and 2500 rpm? (~3.7 g/s at 700-800 rpm and ~11 g/s at 2500 rpm)
Not recently with the meter; it does seem to set and behave correctly based-on the generic reading through the ScanGauge.

I probably should throw the meter on it again..... Good point

·
Registered
585 Posts
Yeah, you gotta have something wierd going on. The fact that you've never tripped a CEL with your headers and original O2 sensors/locations still has me scratching my head. :huh: I'd almost leave well enough alone.

·
Registered
2,907 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I know... I know... it makes ZERO sense. The secondaries should be tripping when they see no change in my levels from what the upstreams read.... But a year later and not a single code.

I do wonder what will happen when I get the WeaponX coils. They mention a change in air/fuel possibly occurring.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Go with the 3.7L TB. Running the thing for over 400 miles w/o a CEL. I'm running the optimized one and justin's TB spacer and still way under what a new OEM TB costs.
I'm guessing you have an aftermarket intake? Was it difficult or expensive to find a coupler for the step-up between the existing intake pipe and 3.7L TB flange?

The 3.7L TB is drastically cheaper than a 3.0L TB as a replacement for a bum TB, but my stock intake pipe would have to be replaced - ideally with a MAFci combo - at handsome expense. :(

·
banana boat.
6,987 Posts
wasn't expensive at all........ gave SURE performance a reason to develop an intake for me(and in the future everyone else)

I could have made my AEM intake work and there are ways to make the stock accordian work, but I hate that damn thing anyways so it was a good time to replace it. specially when I get more new parts :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts