Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a 1998 Z3. I've heard water pump is the only issue with older model Z3s. However, this has an Active Autowerke supercharger in it. It only has 58,000, should I be worried about the engine with a supercharger. What in particular should be a concern with a supercharger.
I've never had a supercharged car, or even a bmw for that fact, so your comments and opinions would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
990 Posts
In general, I'd never buy a car that was modified by somebody else. You never know what short-cuts they took....or the quality of the install.

Particularly on a BMW...if something goes wrong you're looking at big $$.

How much is this one going for? Is it the 1.8L or one of the I6's (2.8 or 3.0L in the M)?

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
I dig Z3 Coupes.

However, resale value of BMW's is so good (especially considering their reliability), I'll probably never seriously consider one. I don't think they're a good value on the used market.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The supercharger is a $6000 kit. Don't think they'd drop that kind of monay and be taking short cuts. It also has m-z3 seat and all options.

What should I be weary of with superchargers?
Anything under the hood I should be checking?
Any issues people experience with them?
Will I have to run 91 or 93 octane?
What should I be looking for on the test drive?

Thanks everyone.

its also a 2.8

·
Registered
86 Posts
the supercharger itself won't be a problem. i don't know the boost tolerance for a stock block but on the Z's you can't run more than about 7-8 psi safely without forged internals. You should look into that (forged internals) and find out if they got it done and what boost they are running at.

Watch out for any strange ticking, knocking, etc. It should be smooth with the whine of the supercharger.

You should always run 93 octane :D Besides, where in Southwest VA can you get 91? Everywhere I have seen is 87 89 and 93.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts