Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what would be the ideal drop i looked into a 1.4 2.4 drop but i know everyone says not to heat springs but im considering trying just to see how it comes out and if it messes up ill just buy the aftermarket springs so what inch drop should i do?

·
Registered
809 Posts
if you MUST do a homemade job, do a heatless cut instead of torching them. It screws with the integrity. and will make all the cambers all different and just all sorts of unpleasant things. Just spend the 2-250 bucks for some good lowering springs that wont rape your shocks (too much)

edit: just to make it clear: the heating messes up the integrity and throws off camber. A heatless cut should be ok, but you still risk your shocks because they are shorter than they are designed to be with the same about of give.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Agreed. Spending the cash on a nice set of springs is a well worth it investment. So many to chose from and without all the work. Unless of course making your springs is a personal goal or achievement then go for it and let us know how they feel. I personally havent heard of someone doing that before so it does strike my curiosity.

B

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well my dads from the old school and they use to do it on trucks and cars all the time so he knows what hes doing so ill just see what happens

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
:facepalm:

WHY must people always cheap out???? Think about how many thousands you spend to purchase your car.....and you're seriously going to cheap out over a couple hundred bucks on a vital component of your car's suspension? For christ's sake!!!!!!!!! :slap:

·
Registered
900 Posts
Really? BUY SPRINGS! Lots of them out there. What happens when you heat coil springs is that it fatigues the metal. They will break. It might make you wreck and/or wreck someone else! At least I'm not down south around you. Wow.

·
Registered
440 Posts
QUOTE (Drake @ Feb 4 2010, 07:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634906
i didnt really ask for yall to run mouth i just asked for how many inches drop[/b]

Ha ha hes fiesty yet fair. That was his original point. I will say that I will have a 1.4 F and 1.5 R drop soon (hopefully this weekend!) with my Eibach's which I have heard from ALOT of ppl is just fine. It really is something of preference and consideration of other components your adding in. Like alot of us at least have a drop of 1in along with braces, bars, sway bars, special shocks etc. Like you said your gona just have to do it and try it out. When your ready to buy those aftermarket springs let us know or go to the suspension thread. Theres a sticky about spring setups.

B

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
QUOTE (Drake @ Feb 3 2010, 10:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634680
so what would be the ideal drop i looked into a 1.4 2.4 drop but i know everyone says not to heat springs but im considering trying just to see how it comes out and if it messes up ill just buy the aftermarket springs so what inch drop should i do?[/b]
Depends on what you are doing with the car.I need more info to properly answer that question.

QUOTE (Drake @ Feb 4 2010, 12:04 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634696
well my dads from the old school and they use to do it on trucks and cars all the time so he knows what hes doing so ill just see what happens[/b]
Back then you could get away with that because the suspension was archaic,how did they fix leaf springs back then? Heat them up and re-arch them......Step into the new millennium,buy a set of springs that will work for what you are trying to accomplish.

QUOTE (Drake @ Feb 4 2010, 06:31 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1634906
i didnt really ask for yall to run mouth i just asked for how many inches drop[/b]
I answered earlier....I need more information.....

If you are trying to look cool,buy coilovers and set the car on the ground,that way when you decide you don't like the way it rides you can adjust it back up to something functional.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Don't!

/thread

........or drop it 2.5" and post some pics. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts