Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I test drove a 6 for the first time a couple of days ago, and I'm thinking of buying the one I tested later this week.

2004 Mazda6 s

It's a silver 6s w/ MT, and it's loaded with nearly every option. I've had the hardest time finding a 6 with a stick to test drive, then this one suddenly popped up in my home town. Seems like a great deal ($1,000 under Edmunds), and while I'd like to drive a few other cars (Altima SE, Accord EX), I'm concerned that this 6 won't stay on the lot very long.

My last car was a '00 GTP, and while I loved the torque and the powerband, I just can't handle the slushbox anymore. The 6 definitely doesn't have the same low-end power as my GTP, but I figure after a CAI and maybe a catback the total power difference will be negligible. Plus the 6 handles better, and I'll have a stick again, which is delightful. Oh yeah, and I flat-out don't think there's a prettier car on the road than the 6.

Any advice on things I should look for on this car? Any common problems with the 6's that I should keep an eye out for?

Thanks for any advice. I'm looking forward to becoming part of the 6 community!

·
Registered
542 Posts
WOw thats the same color and options as mine!! Trust me you'll love it!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Looks like a pretty clean car from the pictures. It is very similar to my 03. If the car looks good with no damage I would try to negotiate maybe $1000 more off the listed price. So far my car has been solid. One thing to watch for is the 6s tends to have a weak clutch which many people have had to replace with even under 20,000 miles. So far I have not had problems with mine, but it is something to be aware of as most places will charge around $1000 to replace it. Also on the V6 keep the oil topped up and check it on a regular basis since some people have had problems with the PCV valve failing and sucking oil out of the pan. If this isn't found early on you could run low on oil and spin a bearing. Other than those known issues I don't know of anything besides the few tiny things that can happen with any vehicle.

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Test the Altima and Accord if you can. That way in the end you won't have any regrets on whatever you do end up buying.

·
Registered
978 Posts
silver036 covered it well. personally, i'd ask for a little more off than 1k (i think new 06 models can be had similarly equipped for about 19.5-21k) so 14 to 15k seems about right. nice looking car though! good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts