Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need some advice...I have been thinking about getting the 6s but I have been reading a lot about people experiencing rattling noises with their cars....is this a problem maybe owners of the 6 have been experiencing with their cars? Since it is a new model there hasn't been many bad reviews about the car..just positive ones..just wondering if the rattling would be a problem in the future...? Also, I was considering the legacy SE as well any thoughts on the legacy's when compared to the 6s? Thanks!

·
Registered
322 Posts
Reading Topic: Thinking about getting a 6s but..

The rattling was in the 4cyl 6i, not the 6cyl 6s. And I think it's turned out to be the heat shield being loose... not 100% sure on that. I have the 4cyl and not heard a single rattle, but other ppl have complained and I think most of them have it fixed now with the fixing of the heat shield.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Thinking about getting a 6s but..'

Originally posted by bru
Also, I was considering the legacy SE as well any thoughts on the legacy's when compared to the 6s?  Thanks![/b]
The Legacy is on my short list as well, although not in SE trim, nor in its current guise. I am waiting for the rumored introduction of the new redesigned Legacy with available 2.5 turbo. Mmmmm, turbo.
If you compare the current Legacy to the 6s:
The 6s has a definite power advantage 220/192 vs. 165/165
The interiors I would call a wash, with perhaps a very slight nod to the Legacy.
The Legacy has AWD of course, which is an advantage for many, but a hindrance to some.
They are both great handlers, but the 6s probably has the nod here; at least in good weather. In inclement conditions, the Legacy wins hands down.
Looks, I'd say the 6s wins going away. Although the Legacy is a nice looking car - the 6 is just too sexy.
Now if you add a redesigned Legacy with better steering, suspension and brakes, plus a turbo AWD powertrain with a rumored 250+hp...

·
Registered
268 Posts

My 6cyl 6s rattles when accelarating...especially when the engine is cold. After the engine warms up completely the rattling is fainter and at a higher rpm. Sometimes its not audible at all. I still love the car though.

Originally posted by Rainchild

The rattling was in the 4cyl 6i, not the 6cyl 6s.  And I think it's turned out to be the heat shield being loose... not 100% sure on that.  I have the 4cyl and not heard a single rattle, but other ppl have complained and I think most of them have it fixed now with the fixing of the heat shield.[/b]

·
Registered
111 Posts

if youre considering the legacy, why not check out the new Impreza WRX STI version? it looks sharp, and has quite a bit of kick to it.

i've had a 6s for 3 weeks now, and I absolutely love driving it. The handling is amazing. Compared to the legacy (i test drove the legacy a few times while car shopping); i tihnk the 6 handles a bit better. of course, the 6 is FWD. with the traction control, FWD, and ncie braking system on the 6, i would say the gap between the AWD legacy and the 6 in snow isn't as big as one might think. I live in Maryland, and we have had a lot of snow recently. Haven't slipped yet.

Personally, i think the looks of the legacy aren't even comprable to the looks of a 6 with sports package. I can't count how many people give me thumbs up on the road, or ask me about the car whenever i get into/out of it.

I like the interior of the legacy better. I'm not a huge fan of the brushed aluminum look mazda decided to put into the huge center console in the 6. it's a bit much IMO. Takinhg in the all of the good things about the 6, though, it was an item I was more than willing to overlook.

As per the rattles, I get some rattles in my back seat. Also, when I have my bass up pretty loud(on the most excellent bose system); my front doors rattle. ii'm not sure what that is.

anywho, that's my 2 cents. personally, i liked the legacy, but fell in love with the 6.

-Eric

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I took a brief look at the Legacy. I'm no speed demon, but 165hp on that heavy of a car is pushing it. The AWD is real tempting. When is the next Legacy due?

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Originally posted by applejax
           I took a brief look at the Legacy.  I'm no speed demon, but 165hp on that heavy of a car is pushing it.  The AWD is real tempting.  When is the next Legacy due?[/b]
That's where it gets sketchy. The redesign is due for the USDM 2005MY, but several sources claim that it will be released a year early. The reason for this is that Subaru will be (allegedly) putting on a turbo blitz this year. They will be putting out turbo versions of the Baja and Forester. Both are supposed to be using detuned versions of the 2.5L turbo engine in the upcoming WRX STi. If they do that, then the top versions of each model in the Subaru model could look something like this:
Impreza WRX: 227bhp 2.0 liter turbo
Impreza WRX STi: 300bhp 2.5 liter turbo
Forester: 225bhp (specultated) 2.5 liter turbo
Baja: 235bhp (speculated) 2.5 liter turbo
Legacy Outback: 220bhp 3.0 liter NA
Legacy GT: 165bhp 2.5 liter NA

You can see that with this projected lineup, the Legacy is left as the red-headed stepchild of the lineup (as it has been for several years). Could Subaru execs introduce high powered versions of the Forester and Baja and leave the Legacy in the dust? Well of course they could. But if they're smart, they won't.

The redesigned Legacy is due to hit the JDM market this summer (just after the summer bonus season over there); so it's not impossible that they could launch it concurrently in the US. All of these turbo models may make their debut at the Chicago show in a week, so keep your eyes peeled. I will update this thread as soon as I have confirmation one way or the other.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

That sounds good, Kenoka - keep us informed.

Oh, and I see this "JDM" all over the place. Excuse my ignorance, but what is "JDM"?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

Japanese Domestic Market (give/take afew letters :)) - mening the home market of Japan.

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Here is a thread at NASIOC, the North American Subaru Imprez Owner's Club. It details the latest rumors regarding the turbo lineup allegedly coming from Subaru.

Pay special attention to posts by "shirokuma". His name is Paul Hansen, and he is as reliable source as you can find on the internet. He writes a website called apexjapan that has news and reports about Japanese cars. He has real inside info at Subaru, and has contacts at STi as well.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

I quote

"as Subaru of America sets it's sights on a full perfomance sedan lineup."

Am I just optimistic, or does anyone else read this as "a bunch of AWD sports sedans are going to kick the sh** out of the market?"

Oh, geez, a true performance sedan with AWD - oh, yes YES YES. Too bad it'll probaby be out too late. They stated July which is probably out of our market timeframe. No Mazda hatch, no AWD performance sedan.

:(

·
Registered
20 Posts

It is obvious that Soob has really been on the cutting edge of car design / sales. First to offer AWD in the Outback, one of the first anti-SUV's to hit the market, First to make and sell a decent looking estate, or combi, or station wagon (whatever you call it in your neck of the woods). First to offer a true pocket turbo performance car in the last 10 years that was affordable (WRX).
Now it seems AWD is all the buzz with makers such as Toyota, Ford, Jag, BMW, Volvo, etc. all jumping in with AWD examples. I have read that the 6 will be offered in Europe with an AWD option later this summer. If true, how long will Mazda North America allow us to wither on the vine while market share for this segment gets eaten up by other companies?
I have a Legacy wagon, with some simple bolt on upgrades that car will run the twisties with a vengence, it will not blow anyone off the line but when you have to turn, it is all there.
The aftermarket kits and bits for the Legacy are readily available vs. waiting a couple of years for a full selection of after market parts for the 6 (which I am sure will come in time).
Good Luck,
Tim

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Update on Turbo Legacy Speculation

Okay, the first part of the speculation has come true. The turbocharged Forester 2.5XT is a reality. That means that the turbo Legacy is one step closer to reality. At NASIOC, some guys from Alaska have seen a mysterious Legacy wagon being cold weather tested. The mystery wagon was surrounded by other wagons, and even had a car cover on. The intrepid guys got some great pics showing that the car is some sort of test mule for a turbo engine. Check out this article from Cars.com that confirms that the 2.5XT receives the stronger engine internals of the USDM STi:
But the big story is the turbocharged 2.5-liter engine. The horizontally opposed four-cylinder is a typical Subaru power plant, but this model uses a more rigid “semi-closed deck” block design than the one equipped in the base Forester. The engine internals feature aluminum-alloy pistons, forged high-carbon steel connecting rods and sodium-filled exhaust valves. Borrowing the variable valve technology — called Active Valve Control System (AVCS) — from the Impreza WRX STi, the Forester 2.5 XT produces 210-horsepower, but the 235 pounds-feet of torque at 3,600 rpm will deliver the punch needed in most real-world driving conditions. Subaru says the turbocharged Forester 2.5 XT will not only run with larger displacement six-cylinder competitors, but it also offers a performance advantage at higher altitudes. And it still qualifies as a Low Emissions Vehicle (LEV) like its normally aspirated kin. Electronic throttle control adds another degree of refinement and performance.[/b]

1 - 16 of 16 Posts