Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m looking at a 2004 Mazda 6. It has the 3.0 litre v6, and the price is $2800. Is this a good price for that car, and how many miles do they typically last?

·
Registered
680 Posts
I’m looking at a 2004 Mazda 6. It has the 3.0 litre v6, and the price is $2800. Is this a good price for that car, and how many miles do they typically last?
There's a lot of different factors involved, but that price is a bit high IMO. How many miles on it? What body style? Any disclosed issues with it? I have an '04 for my daily driver with almost 170k miles that is still running strong although it does use oil.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My fault I meant to include the mileage in the original post. It has 143,000 miles, and says it’s a Mazda s sedan. The ad does not mention any issues. They say it’s in excellent condition. Are there any common problems with these cars that I should look for specifically during a test drive?

·
Registered
680 Posts
If it runs and sounds fine, it likely is fine. If it has a CEL on I'd avoid it. But if it's not rusty and you do buy it, it's a good idea to replace the spark plugs, coil packs and PCV right off the bat if they haven't been replaced recently.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I had an 04 Mazda6 with the 3.0. I sold it with 170,000 miles and the last time I googled the VIN, it had over 350,000 miles. I replaced the coils, one at a time which was an expensive way to go about it.

I had a bad mechanic not do a few oil changes that I paid for and ran it with old low oil for a while. As bad as that sounds, it didn’t stop it. Mazdas are great vehicles.

·
Super Moderator
17,363 Posts
Open up the engine bay and stick your head under the car - look for oil leaks/cleanup. The V6's most prominent issues are oil related and you can tell if someone had issues and had to replace stuff.

Some of them run for hundreds of thousands of miles, but a good amount of them have an issue with debris from the catalytic converters behind sucked back into the engine and eating themselves alive. A replacement engine is about $800 if the worst were to happen.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts