Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
695 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From a interview today:

"Asked if options included planning for a nuclear strike, Bush replied: "All options are on the table. We want to solve this issue diplomatically and we're working hard to do so."

Speculation about a U.S. attack has mounted since a report in New Yorker magazine said this month that Washington was mulling the option of using tactical nuclear weapons to knock out Iran's subterranean nuclear sites."

Scarry indeed.

John :cool:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Uh, guys, that's standard issue political indecisiveness. The backlash of actually using tactical nukes on Iran would be catastrophic. However, letting Iran know that they'd never do it would be equally damning. Thus, "all options are on the table."

As for gas, gas is more expensive right now because of the push to switch over to biodiesel and E85. E85 in particular is expensive simply because it forces all the stations that will carry it to flush and clean out their underground gas tanks to remove any buildup that petrol leaves and that the ethanol would strip off and install filters on the pumps tp make sure no sh!t makes it into the engine and kills your car. Unfortunately, transporting all the E85 around in trucks when there aren't enough trucks (shortage), plus refitting fuel stations to carry the blend (investment in capital), costs money. Oil companies are still business, and so to deal with the added higher costs of Congress' pressure to kick our oil dependency, have to raise their revenue to cover the costs. They do this by raising prices, which are estimated to go up another 25 cents or so by August then drop down again (though probably not too much).

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Uh, guys, that's standard issue political indecisiveness. The backlash of actually using tactical nukes on Iran would be catastrophic. However, letting Iran know that they'd never do it would be equally damning. Thus, "all options are on the table."
[/b]
You think 'W' really gives a shit what others think?

As for gas, gas is more expensive right now because of the push to switch over to biodiesel and E85. E85 in particular is expensive simply because it forces all the stations that will carry it to flush and clean out their underground gas tanks to remove any buildup that petrol leaves and that the ethanol would strip off and install filters on the pumps tp make sure no sh!t makes it into the engine and kills your car. Unfortunately, transporting all the E85 around in trucks when there aren't enough trucks (shortage), plus refitting fuel stations to carry the blend (investment in capital), costs money. Oil companies are still business, and so to deal with the added higher costs of Congress' pressure to kick our oil dependency, have to raise their revenue to cover the costs. They do this by raising prices, which are estimated to go up another 25 cents or so by August then drop down again (though probably not too much).
[/b]
It's expensive because of speculation in the commodities market. That's why Oil is up. That's why Gasoline is up. Speculators are driving the entire market and have been since the Iraqi invasion - with help from the oil companies, of course. The big companies drill the oil, pump it, sell it on the commodities market where they bid on their own product against the speculators, buy it back from themselves (and from the speculators they sold it to), refine it and sell the gas on the commodities market where they then have to purchase it back for their wholesale divisions - once again competing against speculators. In the end it gives them record profits and they can shrug and say "it's all market driven" with a straight face.

It's all bullshit.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
congress doesnt just say, hey, we need money, raise gas prices, they dont pass different gas taxes every day.
[/b]
I wish they would! More gas tax = more transportation projects = more work for me!

Bush is an idiot though. I'll just leave it at that.

·
Registered
444 Posts
bush is gay bottom line

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
people who say bush is retarded and bush is stupid are dumb and stupid themselves.

dont say anything unless you actually have input. the whole bush is dumb and an idiot was during the campaign for presidency like forever ago, so? your still bitter? your not helping acting like a moron and just saying "OH , BUSH is STUPID."

the president of the united states doesnt have all the control you might think. you think he controls gas prices? no. so stop complaining.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
E85 is 15% gasoline. There is no such as petroleum contamination.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
people who say bush is retarded and bush is stupid are dumb and stupid themselves.
dont say anything unless you actually have input. the whole bush is dumb and an idiot was during the campaign for presidency like forever ago, so? your still bitter? your not helping acting like a moron and just saying "OH , BUSH is STUPID."

the president of the united states doesnt have all the control you might think. you think he controls gas prices? no. so stop complaining.
[/b]
+1

It never ceases to amaze me how many people have an opinion without giving a reason why. Critisism of government is healthy, but if it isn't constructive (or at least well-researched) critisism, then it's just childish name calling.

It's expenisive because of speculation in the commodities market. That's why Oil is up. That's why Gasoline is up. Speculators are driving the entire market and have been since the Iraqi invasion - with help from the oil companies, of course. The big companies drill the oil, pump it, sell it on the commodities market where they bid on their own product against the speculators, buy it back from themselves (and from the speculators they sold it to), refine it and sell the gas on the commodities market where they then have to purchase it back for their wholesale divisions - once again competing against speculators. In the end it gives them record profits and they can shrug and say "it's all market driven" with a straight face.

It's all bullshit.
[/b]
Why would the oil companies continue to sell and buy back their own product? The oil refineries are very competitive with each other. Heck, that's one reason the refineries all operate at their peak capacity- surplus, unused capacity costs money. The market is simply too competitive to tolerate such behavior. What is your source for this information?

If one were marking up their own product several times, distributors would just buy elsewhere- unless they themselves are the speculators. And, if that's the case, wouldn't that imply that there is growing deposit of unused oil somewhere? The speculators aren't actually consuming it, thus supply is increasing. If you are right about speculators bidding up oil, that should eventually result in prices going down (or rising more slowly).

I say: it's a global market. China's rising consumption is to blame for gas prices. It's China that is driving up demand and bidding against America for gasoline. India isn't far behind. If you want to reduce gas prices, nuke China. Gas prices will drop in half.

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
It goes to Global Consumption, as Stretch stated, the Chinese, along with India have gotten rid of their bikes and are now driving cars. There is also other factors as well, Katrina still is having an effect on refinery production, There has not been a new refinery built in the US for over 25 years, EPA has a lot to do with that, clean air standards and the like.

So it is a number of factors that have the price of gas skyrocketing, one man has no control over it, it is a global issue of supply and demand. Iran produces less than 7% of the worlds oil, it will have an effect on prices, but not to the magnitude that people believe.

·
Registered
206 Posts
No, but Congress does push the companies to accelerate plans to make E85 a viable option and that once again costs money that the comapnies have to regain through one means or another. And sadly the easiest way to do so is to push the costs off onto the consumer. I'll give that a lot of the market is influenced by speculative bullsh!t, but the fact is that shifting over to E85 is and will cost money and modifications to current fueling stations. E85 is 15% gasoline, but the 85% ethanol strips away contaminants that current gasoline leaves in tank bases and sides and those can cause damage to modern engines. If people think I'm making this sh!t up I encourage you to go pick up the Wall Street Journal (I think it may have been yesterday's that had the article).

As for the "Bush is a moron, gay, stupid" comments, I'm not even going to respond to garbage like that. If that's how you chose to express your maturity, then congrats. He is still our DEMOCRATICALLY elected president.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I apologize for not having the exact numbers on me, but this is another outstanding point: the Middle East produces only somewhere around 20 percent of the world's oil. It's oil is the least crude if I'm not mistaken, but only a small percentage of our oil actually comes from that part of the world. A greater percentage comes from countries like Venezuela. Last I checked, we weren't invading Caracas. China is also having a drastic effect, and will most likely be consuming more petrol than we are in the next decade.

·
Registered
444 Posts

[/b]

as a non american, i dont like the way Bush treats the world. he thinks he is the master of the world.

Everyone should follow his words or he will invade them, attack them, "ambargo" them...
Kennedy and clinton were more peaceful presidents, those are the people that I admire.

and it is amazing how you go around the world and people ask you where you from: I answer from Canada, and my friend from America, and youd be amazed how people treat us differently, they treat me as a friend. All that because we have more peaceful foreing policies.

there's a problem somewhere when the majority of the world hates america... and it is not because of you americans, but because of the person who represents you.

but this is so out of topic... so im going to stop here

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
I guess I can clarify beyond idiot as well. It has nothing to do with Oil prices even though Bush is partly responsible seeing as how prices are up due to turmoil in the Middle East. Also the potential of Chad to cut off all exports until money is released to them.

He's an idiot for taking away citizen's rights in the name of 'terrorism'. Starting a war based on faulty intelligence. Placing the country into ever increasing debt. Shall I go on?

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
He's an idiot for taking away citizen's rights in the name of 'terrorism'. Starting a war based on faulty intelligence. Placing the country into ever increasing debt. Shall I go on?[/b]
Please do.

In regards to the faulty intel, there is absolutely no way you can pin that on Bush. Suddam's own military officers thought Iraq had weapons of mass destruction. Suddam was bluffing, and everyone- from his own troops to America- bought it. Why wouldn't we have? He obviously used to, and he wasn't letting inspectors in.

You can speculate on the economy all you want (while I agree he's spend-happy, he did inheret a recession), but Bush has pushed for the two huge things to improve it that congress has stopped: ending social security and creating a line-item veto. Blame congress and their political ambitions for their failures.

I think the press is to blame for this one-sided view of Bush. Can you really blame him for believing Saddam's own officers? Can you really blame him for all of the spending? Perhaps you can put a lot of blame on Bush, but not all of it. Yet, the media (thus many Americans) has picked one man as their universal target for everything bad. The assertion that Bush has control over gas prices is one made out of bias, not fact nor evidence.

·
Registered
490 Posts
From a interview today:

"Asked if options included planning for a nuclear strike, Bush replied: "All options are on the table. We want to solve this issue diplomatically and we're working hard to do so."

Speculation about a U.S. attack has mounted since a report in New Yorker magazine said this month that Washington was mulling the option of using tactical nuclear weapons to knock out Iran's subterranean nuclear sites."

Scarry indeed.

John :cool:
[/b]
Well, the 1st BS I disregard is: " New Yorker Magazine " . That tear even backed the idiotic theory of 911 being setup by the U.S. intellegence group.
And they were 1 of the backers of the " person " whom brought records up of Bush's National Guard time. And THAT was proven to be false.. Can you say retired Anchor person!? Plus CFO replacement.
I have 1 question:
Your nieghbor is driving on your lawn and in your shrubs. They are KILLING the yard. You are on a fixed income. If you must use more money to redo the yard and you have to stop paying for cable TV or HI speed internet and go back to phone line.llllll IS that YOUR FAULT??? Or your nieghbors?
As for IRAN and the relationship to the world(including the relationship of the U.S.), it is a LONGggg Story. More than the History books or the Discovery channel has told or can tell. :(

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
About this Discussion
49 Replies
19 Participants
ZoomZoom Diva
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing