Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's a lot I didn't notice or expect in the car when I bought it. You'd think I didn't even look at the thing before I bought it. What have you noticed about yours?

I like-

The 4cyl engine. It seemed average when I bought it, but at 875 miles it has WAY more power than when new. Most cars have a minor gain when broken in, but the gain in the 2.3l plant has been incredible. And it's not just the power, it's the way it sounds, too.

The overhead lights. There's two in the back! I didn't realize this until I had curious friends back there.

The doors. When opened beyond half way, they will never try to "snap" into opening further. This makes it much easier to not ding another person's car!

The gas mileage. I'm getting better mileage (30mpg) in the city than my old Celica... which had a 1.6l engine! I doubt the '6 will eclipse it highway mileage though- it got 40mpg.

The Stereo. It still sucks, but sounds much better then when new now that the speakers have been broken in. New speakers are on the way...

The Controls. The car says "hello" accross the LCD screen. The defroster automatically switches the climate control to taking in outside air rather than recirculating. Thank goodness it doesn't automatically turn on the A/C, I hate that about Accords.

I dislike-

The sunglasses holder. It rattles from vibrations every know and then- very sporatically- and opening/closing it always fixes the problem. At night, with the rear-view mirror flipped to the tinted position, the plastic from the holder casts an annoying reflection in the mirror.

The differential. The tires seem to break very easily, and usually it feels like a one-wheel spin.

2nd gear. I wish 2nd gear was lower. When I want to gun it out of a intersection, 2nd gear is too tall to be in the power band and I'm always too reluctant to drop it into first if the car is already moving.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Things you like or dislike that you didn't notice before buying the car.'

Not much so far, since I only have the car since yesterday... But I don't like the bright green "headlights on" indicator. It's way too bright and distracting among the all-red gauges.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Things you like or dislike that you didn't notice before buying the car.'

There is about a 1.5" x 2.5" vertical section of the windshield right of center that is missed by the overlap of the wipers. Would never had noticed it but it's winter and the road salts leave a white patch.

Tires are too small for the rim. They mount the same 205/60-16 on the 5 inch steel rim. A 7" rim deserves a wider tire and so does the car.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Reading Topic: Things you like or dislike that you didn't notice before buying the car.

Mmm, likes and dislikes....

Ok I agree with you mostly :)

I like -

The 2.3 4cyl engine too - I've only gone 1000kms but the engine is nice and smooth, and much faster than my old car (2.8l 6cyl). I haven't been getting as good milage as I am suppose to get though (getting 12.0/100km in city when they said 10.0??)

The stereo... I freakin' love the bose stereo... also the reaction I got from my friend when I turned it on - the instead of "hello" it says "bose sound" or similar. And my friend exclaimed "holy shit, you have bose in your car??" hehehehe priceless :) And it does sound really good too. Really really good. Actually so good that I'm having to replace all my burned-from-MP3 CD's with proper audio cds to enjoy the quality :)

The activematic transmission... it's nice having the liberty to shift your own gears when you want, yet the ease of automatic when the city traffic sucks.

The service... my Mazda dealer has been really really friendly, hell they even gave me free breakfast (cereal/toast) and tea/coffee while I was waiting for my car to be serviced!!

The sunroof... never had one before and it's really nice to have the roof open and the fresh air and sun coming in :)

The looks... and it's even sexier now that my rear spoiler is fitted :)

Giving a thumbs-up to other M6 drivers I've seen about the place and having them grin back. Also pedestrians/ppl waiting at bus stops checking out the car as I drive by.

I dislike -

The in-dash stacker loading controls... when I want to swap a CD I have to press eject, wait, take the disk, then press load, wait, and insert the next disk.

The automatic transmission shifting from 4th to 3rd when I slow from 62km/h to 60km/h ... I guess it gets to too low rpm or something and shifts up.

The looming date of my first repayment :p
(hey everyone wants something for nothing)

-- Rainchild

·
Registered
220 Posts

There are so many things I really like about my Mazda6s, the heated seats, the beautiful V6, the comfort, the fit and finish, the sound the door makes when I shut it, etc.

On thing that I am disappointed with is the headlamps. For all their power I can't see anything off to the side of the road like I could in my Protoge. This is really, really bad as winter darkness has us in it's clutches for about four months of the year and there are a LOT of moose on the highways.

Perhaps the only other issue I might have is that some of the electronic features our European friends get (fuel usage and MPG/KPL measurements and, perhaps, Stability control) aren't available on the USA models. Not to mention the Diesel engine options.

It's nice to see that Mazda is producing cars with all the innovative features that have been found on VW's for the past couple years (though of higher quality on the Mazda) there are still features that VW does better than anyone: "pinch protecting" windows, Lock means closing all windows and sunroof and the intermittent wipers on VWs are a work of art-meets-engineering. VW's intermittent wipers are rain sensing or programmable ... with Mazda you have to guess with a predefined selection.

The Mazda 6 is a superior car to the VW Jetta in many ways and is comparable or better than the Passat in several others. The Mazda6 drives better, costs MUCH less to operate, is easier to insure and is also beautiful to look at. Still, Mazda could really "WOW!" the world with some of these types of conveninces through-out their entire product line.

·
Registered
136 Posts

I agree with Rainchild regarding the tallness of second gear.

It really annoys me, that when slowing down to about 15-25kmh and you lightly touch the accelerator, there is no power there. U have to floor it and then first gear kicks in and the revs scream and everyone around looks at you :-( Is this a typical Mazda thing, or does the Camry do the same?

MM6

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by CzechMate

Not much so far, since I only have the car since yesterday... But I don't like the bright green "headlights on" indicator. It's way too bright and distracting among the all-red gauges.[/b]
Is this the high beam? And are you sure it's a headlight indicator? Just curious, because green is an odd color for a headlight indicator, methinks.

·
Registered
212 Posts

Originally posted by applejax
Is this the high beam?  And are you sure it's a headlight indicator?  Just curious, because green is an odd color for a headlight indicator, methinks.[/b]
Here's a pic... it's the light to the right of the speedo. The colors on the pic are way off, but that indicator is lit bright green whenever the headlights are on. This is not the high-beams indicator. It's not a big deal, but I just think it's a bit annoying. I may be the only one, though :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Reading Topic: Things you like or dislike that you didn't notice before buying the car.

I am too annoyed of the bright indicator "Cruisecontrol" ... the bright yellow one.. i dim the light in the gauges when i drive a long distance after dawn, and it's a bit annoying with that superbright yellow indicator.. but nothing i cannot live with! :)

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Yes, the pic conveys it well. The green does look out of place. I guess they want you to notice it. Don't know why, though.

·
Registered
32 Posts

Things I noticed:

The V6 also needed a good break-in. I'm approaching 800 miles on my car and it's remarkable how much smoother, powerful, efficient and better sounding the engine is. The car is just now starting to rip.

The "command center" display reflects at the top of the windshield. If you adjust the dimmer. it's not a big deal, but they should have hooded the display a little more deeply.

The Bose stereo does change the "Hello" text scroll to "Bose Sound". The Bose absolutely kicks ass with dynamic, bass-intensive music. The highs are still the best part of this system, so clear, you can hear the pickwork on acoustic guitars easily.

The sunglasses holder is very cheap, especially compared to the smooth unit in my 02 CR-V.

The car has not developed any rattles, and it's still very quiet. I don't know why some magazines have complained about the interior noise level of the 6, to me it's pretty low.

The rear seats are slightly canted towards the center of the car. if you sit back there for a while, you'll notice it.

The trunk is huge. Bigger than I've ever had a need for.

The doors are still very tight. You really have to slam them.

The heated seats are a Godsend and turn themselves off once the heater kicks in. Contrary to some other's opinions, I appreciate this. nothing worse than seats that get too hot.

·
Registered
71 Posts

Agree with little to bright cruise control indicators, but fortunately
we Europeans don't get that green indicator "head lights on".
Imagine, we have to use head lights on at any time here in Latvia.

·
Registered
391 Posts

I don't have my 6 yet but there's 3 things I don't like about it :

-the rear up-door is a head knocker, it goes down to much.
-the passenger seat is not electrical (that's stupid I find)
-the glasses holder is cheap, really cheap...

That's it for the bad, everything else looks fine for me...

M

·
0 Posts

Things that I dont like with the new Mazda 6 :
1. The doors can't be closed when it is cold (-15 C) can be fixed by changing the greese in the lock)
2. The heating system is really bad
3. It turns to the right when you take your hands of the steering wheel.
4. The head lights is worthless
5. It is noicy inside the car

beside that it is a really good car ;-)

·
Registered
117 Posts

Things I like

- fantastic handling and the feeling of the car sticking to the road like glued
- sound of the engine (2.3l)
- traction control (had a chance to see it working when accelerating on wet concrete)
- no rattles/buzzes in interiour (very quiet)
- sexy design of exterior/interior;
- high attention to details (little buffer material on latch mechanisms in armrest compartment);
- black leather interior with yellow exteriour :D
- the closing handle in the trunk lid
- huge trunk
- soft black plastic covering the dashboard
- the feeling of brake handle and its quiteness during operation

Things I dislike (nothing I can't live with)

- cold start rattle from exaust (goes away when RPMs drop below 1800)
- gas mileage has not been higher than 22mpg (4cyl + AT) in what I call mixed driving
- the fact that low fuel lamp lights up after travelling 270mi :(. Filling up the tank reveals that about 4 more gallons are still there.
- in manual shift mode sometimes it is hard to shift up from 1st gear. It only happens when the car is accelerating and RPMS are below 2000
- broken fuse panel cover (the one next to your left leg) that is being backordered for about a month now.
- looks like I'll have to trust the oil change to dealership. Can't find the location of the oil filter.

Overall I don't regret for a second buying this car. No car is perfect after all ... but this one is the closest I could find after 1 year research (Maxima, Jetta, Passat were my other alternatives). This car won my heart after first test drive.

-Bob

·
Registered
432 Posts

Originally posted by stretchsje

The defroster automatically switches the climate control to taking in outside air rather than recirculating.  Thank goodness it doesn't automatically turn on the A/C, I hate that about Accords.[/b]
Actually it does turn on the A/C, it just doesnt display it. I used to think the same thing until I read it in the manual.

·
Registered
432 Posts

Originally posted by MAZDA 6 FREAK

-the glasses holder is cheap, really cheap...[/b]
If you think its cheap, you would hate the one in the Altima. Ive seen several brand new ones with broken sunglass holders.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Things you like or dislike that you didn't notice before buying

My likes:
Handling (Im convinced this car could outhandle my old Talon AWD)
Gas mileage
Size (just right: not a barge like the Altima, but not cramped either)
Interior/exterior styling
Red guage illumination

Dislikes:
The way the engine sounds when cold
No auto up power window (easily fixed with aftermarket switch though)
No remote-linked power windows

·
Registered
67 Posts

Everything (almost) and having everyone look at you wondering what the hell kind of car that is.

Dislike(s):

The green "headlight on" inicator mentioned before (annoying as hell)
No underhood light (hopefully I'll never need one)
Big-ass chrome strip in Grille (easily fixed)

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'Things you like or dislike that you didn't notice before buying

Cons
- Heating is bad.
- The hood, when opened is supported by a cheap metal stick.
- Doors difficult to close when it's cold.
- Not-so-good turning radious
- Bend on exahaust pipes - difficult to mount chrome pipes.
- A little scratch on the hood on delivery. We never noticed it but BVS (the place that did the paint protection) saw it and fixed it.
- The radio display reflecsts in the Windows at night.

Pros
- The storage compartment where rich people :D have the nav system is absolutly totaly amazing :D Easy to reach, while it still contains the things even on bumy roads. It also has some kind of cloth on the bottom, so I can but my shiny cellphone there without risc of getting any (more..) marks on it.
- Sound system is amazingly good :) I'm not an audiophile by any means, but I like it when I can play as high as I want and get a clear and nice sound.
- The brakes are realy realy good. I felt when driving a Volvo V40 2.0T that I almost had to slam the brakes when trying to brake as I did on the 6, and the V40 just kept rolling :( The driving instructor was not happy :)
- Engine is very strong. The low gearing can be fixed by staring on second instead - the engine can take this and more.
- Friends like it when they see it (thought they would tease me cause I liked a Mazda :)).

1 - 20 of 45 Posts