Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was exactly 6 days and 3 hours ago that I drove off the lot in my 2006 Black Cherry Mazdaspeed 6. Lets go back a bit further...

Back in the middle of January, I was coming back from a ski trip, when I lost control of my truck, and immediately forgot everything I ever learned about driving in the snow. I did the exact opposite of what I should have done in a high speed skid. Instead of hammering the clutch and letting the truck's momentum straighten itself out, I jack the brakes and cut the wheel about 2 revolutions, so that when the wheels finally do catch, I find myself in a vicious spin, which I have no chance of catching. And heading off the road...

I ended up rolling the truck over, and bouncing it off a rock wall on the side of the highway. It landed on it's side, and when it came to rest, I climbed out, relatively unscathed, save for a slight concussion and a few bumps and bruises.

I was OK. After getting over the emotional distress that comes with a near-death experience, I ended up pretty stoked when i realized I got to get a new car. I love cars. I love getting new ones.

The insurance company took really good care of me...I bought the Taco new in october of 2005 for $25,800, which was invoice on a double cab TRD stick. I wrecked it in january of 2007, and they gave me $25,000. Plus 5% sales tax. Sweet deal...I only owed about 13k on it, so I had some cash to play around with.

First I thought I wanted an FJ Cruiser...the TRD SE version, of which they only made 2500. I ended up finding, and putting a deposit down on, one of those a few miles from my house. Black roof, BFGs, intake, exhaust...it was pretty sweet.

But it was 2 weeks from the time I signed on that until I got my insurance check. So it gave me some time to think. And by think I mean second guess myself.

Then it was a new maxima. Found an 06 SE with a 6speed on the lot kind of near where I work (07's don't come with stick, only CVT).

Then it was a used 330xi.

Then it was a used A4.

Then it was a MS6. Which I ended up getting. It's faster than the 330, A4, and doesn't have the torque steer that the maxima had. Waaay cheaper than all of them (ended up paying 23,9 for a GT with roof.)

Drove it off the lot this past saturday.

It's fun to drive...I've never driven a turbo car before. I like how when you get on it it just pulls and pulls and pulls and pulls harder. Very fun. Not quite as fast as the G35 coupe I used to have, but close. Clutch will take some getting used to, but overall it's good.

Then it snowed.

I went outside to clean off my car, so I go to open the trunk to get my brush. I open the trunk, and a freaking buttload of snow falls in, covering the shoes, clothes, and work papers I had in there. So that sucked.

Then I couldn't shut the trunk, until I cleaned out the snow and ice from the jam. Also sucked.

Then I tried to drive in the snow on the stock Potenzas. Decent? Not so much...I'd lean more towards horrible. I have a set of Pirelli Assimetricos on Benz rims that I had bought for the G, but they didn't clear the Brembo's. I'm heading to my parents' house tonight to see if they fit. If not, tirerack, here I (and my $1300) come.

Overall, I like the car. The black and white leather is starting to grow on me, but I'm nervous that it'll get way too dirty, way too fast.

I've had it for 6.125 days now, and so far, so slightly-above-average.

thats all.

-MyNameIsTim

Attachments

·
Registered
358 Posts
This is exactly why I keep my snow brush in the passenger compartment. If you open the trunk of most any car the snow will fall in. You should also keep it in the car because trunks can often freeze shut.

And as far as summer tires not being good in the snow......I don't know what to say except for Duh! :slap:

Welcome to the club, enjoy the car! :drive:

·
Registered
851 Posts
why does it look like that van plowed into a embankment

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Then I tried to drive in the snow on the stock Potenzas. Decent? Not so much...I'd lean more towards horrible. I have a set of Pirelli Assimetricos on Benz rims that I had bought for the G, but they didn't clear the Brembo's. I'm heading to my parents' house tonight to see if they fit. If not, tirerack, here I (and my $1300) come.

Overall, I like the car. The black and white leather is starting to grow on me, but I'm nervous that it'll get way too dirty, way too fast.[/b]
Get yourself some decent winter tires for the car, and you'll be amazed by it's ability in the snow. My MS6 and my former car (Audi S4) are simply the best winter weather vehicles I've EVER driven. I would take a good-handing AWD car with winter tires over any truck or SUV, unless I needed the ground clearance for something extreme (like 3+ feet of snow).

For the leather, I recommend the Zaino Z-9 cleaner, followed up by the Z-10 conditioner. You won't believe the dirt the Z-9 can remove from the white leather. You can find those products on the Zaino Web Site

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Hell...even the all seasons Make a World of difference on this car.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get yourself some decent winter tires for the car, and you'll be amazed by it's ability in the snow. My MS6 and my former car (Audi S4) are simply the best winter weather vehicles I've EVER driven. I would take a good-handing AWD car with winter tires over any truck or SUV, unless I needed the ground clearance for something extreme (like 3+ feet of snow).

For the leather, I recommend the Zaino Z-9 cleaner, followed up by the Z-10 conditioner. You won't believe the dirt the Z-9 can remove from the white leather. You can find those products on the Zaino Web Site[/b]

just bought some cheap 17" rims and some Toyo snow tires. They'll be in tuesday...on the ms6 by wednesday.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.