Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if it's any harder to steal a GT because the engine isn't supposed to be able to start without the presence of the intelligent key in the car?

If I can find documentation, I'm going to see if I can get an additional insurance discount.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Dunno, but if the real professionals want your car, "they is gonna get it"!

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Ummm You aren't able to "turn" the ignition w/o the key.... Doesn't the standard version have keyless entry... i'm pretty sure if they set off the keyless alarm by breaking into the vehicle ... it disables the ignition...

if not.. then that WHOLE setup is worthless.... Just about EVERY stock alarm / keyless entry setup does 3 things... Keyless entry... Entry Point monitoring (the doors basically)... and ignition kill if it gets set off....

I added impact sensor and motion sensor to my speed6 because the stock alarm doesn't go off if they break in throught the windows... and it doesn't do anything if people are "fucking" with your car in one way or another....

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
all M6s are equipped with PATS (passasive anti-theft system), a key transpsonder/steering column reciever systems. this makes any car with PATS hard to drive off without the key. as 62 mentioned, anyone who really wants your shit will have it. that being said, i wouldn't lose any sleep of your ms6 driving off. you're much more likely to have a window broken out & belongings stolen.

·
Registered
117 Posts
you're much more likely to have a window broken out & belongings stolen.
[/b]
These kinds of cars are typically of little interest to a thief! Basically, you either steal a car and resell (usually abroad) or hack it and sell it in pieces. Because of limited production numbers and the fact that they are not really selling too well, niether one of those is a real motivation. Teh underlying irony: MS6 is selling for the same prices as the loaded Mazda6 even though they have much more content. If the dealers cannot move them off their lot, how hard would it be to sell a stolen one?!

There are other things that could happen: theft by folks taking it for a joy ride or real dumb person who does not know the difference between MS6 and regular Mazda6.

Bottom line: stealthy characteristic within this facet too.... yet another advantage for the MS6.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I think the phrase most ppl will recognize is "engine immobilizer." It works as stated before, but that's the most common term for a system requiring the physical presence of the key in/around the vehicle for the engine to turn over.

From mazdausa.com:

*Engine-immobilizer anti-theft system Standard (SPORT) Standard (GT)*

Looks like you won't get any further reduction for having the GT, as the system is the standard in both cars despite the different keys

·
Registered
940 Posts
As was said, if someone wants it, they will get it. Low popularity means that nobody is as likely to steal your car unless they need some parts for an MS6 project car - therefore, the people on this board are more likely to steal your car than anyone else. ;)

·
Registered
413 Posts
You could steal one from the lot of any Mazda dealer. They have plenty of them gathering dust, they'd never miss one. They'd probably be glad to be rid of it so they can order a car that people actually want to buy.

·
Registered
815 Posts
You could steal one from the lot of any Mazda dealer. They have plenty of them gathering dust, they'd never miss one. They'd probably be glad to be rid of it so they can order a car that people actually want to buy.
[/b]
Isn't the weather getting cold for you now that you are living under the bridge?

·
Registered
413 Posts
Maybe the humor was too subtle for you....
Question: who lives under bridges
Answer: Trolls

Your welcome :)
[/b]
No, it was just the extremely poor grammar. Learn english and you'll find that your insults will be easier for people to understand.

·
Registered
978 Posts
immobilzer keys are not necessarily complete protection...just an excuse for insurance companies to not pay up if your car gets stolen.

pinch my ride: wired

·
Registered
829 Posts
No, it was just the extremely poor grammar. Learn english and you'll find that your insults will be easier for people to understand.
[/b]
actually, you're just not very used to the internet. change "know" to "now" and it makes more sense. May not be perfect grammar, but yeah, think harder moron.

·
Registered
286 Posts
immobilzer keys are not necessarily complete protection...just an excuse for insurance companies to not pay up if your car gets stolen.

pinch my ride: wired
[/b]
Very interesting article. I agree that no system is unbreakable. It's just the matter of how much the car is worth to the thieves and how easy it is to steal. No one would steal a Kia if they can steal a luxury car with the same effort. Cars are stolen everyday, houses get broken into everyday, people get jacked everyday, you can only do so much about it. As long as our system is as good as Mercedes and BMW, I'm not too worry about the car getting jack. I would be more worried about some junkie breaking my window for change or mini-van dinging my car. Why don't we be positive and worry about how to spend the money if we win a lottery?:D

However, I do like to know how the intelligent keyless system works as compared to the chipped key. Does the keycard send out signal constantly or only when the car signals the keycard to do so? I do notice that when I press the request button, the little light on the keycard will blink and the car is unlocked. I'm not sure if the keycard does the same thing when I push the ignition knob and turn. I'll find out after work today. If that is the case, someone would have to be really close to me when I enter the car in order to copy the code or he/she would need the keycard in possession to do so (valet, repair shop...)

The part with pumping handbrake is pretty funny. Is this Contra? Do I get 99 cars? It is pretty stupid for manufacturer to create back door after all the effort in creating a security system. I would rather lock myself out than leaving easy access into my house without the key.

·
Registered
815 Posts
actually, you're just not very used to the internet. change "know" to "now" and it makes more sense. May not be perfect grammar, but yeah, think harder moron.
[/b]
Thanks for the correction - that is exactly how it should read. I need to remember that most trolls rode the short bus and sometimes have a hard time seeing out from under their helmet...original post edited for easier troll comprehension.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think we have a scarcity of trolls here in Michigan, this is probably due to the lack of bridges. :D

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
However, I do like to know how the intelligent keyless system works as compared to the chipped key. Does the keycard send out signal constantly or only when the car signals the keycard to do so? I do notice that when I press the request button, the little light on the keycard will blink and the car is unlocked. I'm not sure if the keycard does the same thing when I push the ignition knob and turn. I'll find out after work today. If that is the case, someone would have to be really close to me when I enter the car in order to copy the code or he/she would need the keycard in possession to do so (valet, repair shop...)

[/b]

I doubt that the key transmits constantly, you'd run out of batteries too quick. From a design standpoint it makes much more sense to put it in standby mode, waiting for a signal to activate the logic circuits and send out a signal of it's own. Now, theoretically, if someone wanted to steal your car, they could bring a laptop to your car, hit the request button so that your car sends out a signal. The laptop could then be used to capture that signal and duplicate it. Now if that person were next to you, and sent the duplicated car signal, your key would recognize it and send out it's own signal, and the laptop could capture that too. Now he goes back to your car and sends your key's signal to the car and *pop* the doors unlock.

·
Registered
59 Posts
[/b]
Here we go again !!

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here we go again !!
[/b]
Sorry. Always on my threads. This is so much better than watching crappy reality tv.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts