1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Corvette SS?

Wow!

650 HP? Damn! Here's hoping the hood scoop is just covering up something that's more integrated into the hood.

·
Registered
337 Posts
That hood scoop is just there to cover up the supercharger for now, its just a powertrain mule. The Blue Devil/SS/Z07/Stingray is supposedly going to go 0-60 in less then 2.5, weigh less then the Z06, do something special at 140 and 190, have a top speed over 200 mph, and probably run a sub-10 sec quarter mile, all for the low price of 100 grand. Veyron who?

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Some dude in a stock Z06 is running 10.85 in the quarter mile. It's on YouTube. At this point, more power is just ridiculous. I look forward to it!

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
:drool:

·
Registered
820 Posts
not only is the power ridiculous but the handling is nothing short of spectacular. Almost best in class everything, braking, straight link acceleration, skidpad, slalom. Car is just an engineering masterpiece. You would think a different company made it to tell you the truth. With all the other pieces of shit that chevy puts out. Maybe they should take the hint that's been obvious for year, people do not want to but a FWD automatic sports car.

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Now if only Chevy would put this much effort and quality control in their other cars, they would probably do better in the market place.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I have read on the Z06 forums about how horrible the quality of the car is, one guy even had his roof completely fall off on the way home...

But from a performance standpoint, a 10.85 stock car is crazy, and its only going to get better...

If Chevy bring out a production 9 second Vette they have a serious problem...

And the crazier thing is that the car can go around a track as well...

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
Now if only Chevy would put this much effort and quality control in their other cars, they would probably do better in the market place.
[/b]
Actually the "quality control" on Corvettes isn't that great *cough*roofs-peeling-off-at-speeds-over-100mph*cough*. Great race engineering, great effort at producing a superbly-performing car for such a great price, but not so great at producing a realistically daily-driven sports car.

Now, if GM would put the same effort in quality in their regular lineup that they put into engineering on the Corvette, then they might get somewhere. But they'd also have to jack the price of their cars up quite a bit. What you pay for when you buy a Corvette is lots of engineering effort -- the components of the car itself are cheap. You're paying a $15-20,000 premium over cars with the exact same drivetrain (like the GTO or the upcoming Camaro) for engineering effort.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
not only is the power ridiculous but the handling is nothing short of spectacular. Almost best in class everything, braking, straight link acceleration, skidpad, slalom. Car is just an engineering masterpiece.[/b]
A lot of that comes from the low curb weight. I was so damn happy when I heard about the aluminum frame of the Z06. The tire-to-weight ratio of a car is a good indicator of total grip, and the Corvette has a tire-to-weight ratio as high as a Lotus Elise.

Braking, however, will never match a mid or rear engine car- so let's not go overboard and say the Z06 is the best at everything. The weight distribution of a rear-engine Porsche is what gives it best-in-class braking, and it will not ever be beat by a comparatively front-heavy car on similar tires. Still, a 50/50 car like the Z06 can be darn good.

The only thing a Z06 needs from a handling standpoint seems to be downforce, particularly in the rear. I've read quite a bit of testimonials claiming that the car gets downright dangerous above 150mph. It needs a big tacky wing, ugly or not.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
nothing a wing won't fix

never driven the new c6 but from everything i've read, even though its exetremely fast its also scary to drive. Chassis is numb and is very unpredictable at the limit.

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
Some dude in a stock Z06 is running 10.85 in the quarter mile. It's on YouTube. At this point, more power is just ridiculous. I look forward to it!
[/b]
+1 :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
ha ha ha
nothing feels sturdy at speeds that high

best in class braking... i bet it does, i have z06 brakes on my TA and every time i hit the brakes all day long from very very high speeds its like im dropping an 800 pound anchor out the back of the car... ive actually gotte small cuts on my shoulder from the brakes grabbing too hard. and i have no paint on my front bumper down low from the nose touching the ground. my friends posrches dont out brake me at all... so believe what you want im just telling you form what ive seen on multiple occasions.

and for 100k you will outrun 350k and 550k carrera gts' and ferrarri's

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,553 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Any vehicle brought to a Goodyear tire shop for service will catch fire. That guy didn't deserve to own it if that's where he takes it.
[/b]
Agreed! :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
The story behind the burning bush, err, Vette was the dealer had just finished installing a new exhaust system and notice it's the rear half of the car that was on fire. Though in this day and age where body parts are literally flying off vehicles (C6 roof flying off, Civic's side windows falling off), who knows the real truth behind why it burned?

·
Registered
704 Posts
The story behind the burning bush, err, Vette was the dealer had just finished installing a new exhaust system and notice it's the rear half of the car that was on fire. Though in this day and age where body parts are literally flying off vehicles (C6 roof flying off, Civic's side windows falling off), who knows the real truth behind why it burned?
[/b]
Vipers had that problem of the exhaust catching the rear bumper on fire. They just don't make them like they did 30 years ago. Oops I forgot about the Pinto. :nana:

·
Registered
826 Posts
I would get a pinto and soup it up if it was in any way remotely possible. Then try to street race. Unfortunately that dream will never be realized because I'd have to kill myself if I actually did spend money on a pinto.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts