Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THE V6 is actualy a Mazda engine not a Ford like it states in car and driver and some other articles

ok i dug around, and found out that the ford duratec engine is actualy not a ford engine in a first place. it is a mazda engine originaly, so i am not sure why all this magazines are saying its ford duratec engine. i am guessing they didnt research it well enough or just dont know their business to well heh.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'THE V6 is actualy a Mazda engine not a Ford like it states in car and driver and

Duratec originally a Mazda? That would explain a lot...

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'THE V6 is actualy a Mazda engine not a Ford like it states in car and driver and

Oh...really?? Interesting.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Can this fact be externally verified?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

The Duratec seems to have been developed by Ford at the same time a company called Transtec was designing seals/gaskets with the same name. Ford filed for the name Duratec, and Transtec gave it to them. See page 3 of this release.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I wouldn't consider this a reliable source. TransTec couldn't know of internal Ford business, like who and where and why they developed this engine, nor why they gave it this name.

I find nothing in this release either that tries to confirm that Ford actually on their own developed the engine. On the other hand, there's nothing to say that they didn't.

I'd like to hear what source was used to say that it's a Mazda engine in the first place. We all know that Mazda used the Duratec block and put on their own stuff, including SVT.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

The closest I could find was this statement:

new Duratec HE series which was mainly developed by Mazda
from
some magazine.

Now I don't know the difference between this HE series and an original Duratec...

None of these sources are solid, I know. It's the only evidence I can find.

Someone dig up something solid!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

well originaly i heard about this from the rx7 guys on the forum. and most of they said that duratec although considered ford was developed by mazda but as soon as it was done ford put their tag on it. and then i went to one of the import shops where i knew this one mechanic was realy into mazdas and he said the same thing. and i remember reading in another article somewhere, where it stated although cosdiered ford engine originaly developed by mazda.

·
Registered
137 Posts

Heh, now we know why the Duratec has been reliable for so many years. It sure as hell wasn't a Ford engine. haha

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Originally posted by applejax

The closest I could find was this statement:

new Duratec HE series which was mainly developed by Mazda
from  
some magazine.

Now I don't know the difference between this HE series and an original Duratec...

None of these sources are solid, I know.  It's the only evidence I can find.  

Someone dig up something solid![/b]
I believe the "Duratec HE" is actually the new Mazda MZR I4 series. The only references I could find for the HE's is to four cylinder engines.
I've seen this debate before about the badging of Mazda/Ford engines. It does get confusing, especially when some Duratecs are developed by Ford and some by Mazda. But I'm fairly certain that the 3.0l V6 Duratec is in fact a Ford product. Sorry if this is bad news for some of you. I will try to dig up more info, but I'm sure Nikolas from Duratec Performance will chime in on this one anyway.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by kenoka
but I'm sure Nikolas from Duratec Performance will chime in on this one anyway.[/b]
Yeah, I've been waiting for him. :D

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Duratec seems to be the name Ford has give to the Cosworth Casting Process for engine blocks. (Ford owns Cosworth) Duratec is applied to most of Ford's new engines from 4Cyl up. I think the HE series are 4cyls and IIRC Ford has Mazda in charge of most of the 4 cyl developement. The 3.0 block in the 6 is also used in the 3L Jaguar engine with Jag designed heads (235 HP/ 216 ft/lbs).

This motor will never be a torque monster because of its over square design. (the bore is larger then the stroke)

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

235 HP/ 216 ft/lbs would be pretty good for the M6. I'm not a HP nut though, I'm sure I'll be satisfied with 220hp.

·
Registered
2,059 Posts

I'm not really either. But I could go with 216 torque easy though.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

all i know is ford sucks, no matter what u tell me they suck. the word quality should never go with ford, and thats coming from a mustang owner. let me tell u one thing, i love mustangs, that is after i change out the shity ford engine and eveyr possible part ford has in it. and i am very displeased with hearing how ford is planing giving mazda6 to mercury.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Just as long as they don't mess in Mazda's internal affairs like design. No Ford parts in a Mazda. Ever!!!!

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Nikolas never referred to the Duratec as a Mazda. If you recall, we have had several discussions of how much Ford is in Mazda, and never once did Nikolas say the Duratec was developed by Mazda. Quite the contrary, he did refer to the Duratec as a Ford engine (in so many words...) I would think if the Duratec was not Ford, we would have known about it by now, unless it's some well-hidden secret.

Still, I'd like to hear the comments from DuratecPerformance himself.

·
Registered
11 Posts

It makes no sense that the Duratec was first developed by Mazda. Mazda was using the KL series V6 when the Duratec first came out in the Contour/Cougar. The Duratec never matched the KL series smoothness or power output. In the 2.5L version, the Mazda KLZE made 200 hp in j-spec form in 1993 while the SVT tuned Duratec's only mustered 190 hp several years later. The KL series was always commented for its smoothness while the Duratec was never complimented for anything. The engine layouts are also totally different between the two engine series.

However, over the life cycle of the Cougar especially, the Duratec went through 4 (i think) revisions. This is where Ford turned to Mazda to help get the Duratec running smoother as the stories I've head always go. If you drive a 1999 Cougar and a 2002 Cougar, there is a noticable difference in engine refinement.

As for the the 3.0L V6 being completely redone by Mazda, I still have a few doubts. The Mondeo ST220 is also comming out with a 3.0L Duratec V6 with variable valve timing and with 220 hp. I hope I'm wrong here, but it sounds like its the same engine and when you think about it, why would Ford leave Mazda develop all these parts for the Duratec when its only being used in 1 model and in that model only in North American cars. All along Mazda has been developing the 2.3L to be able to be boosted to levels past what the Duratec will ever see, it doesn't make a lot of sense for them to be spending time and money developing the V6. It makes a whole lot more sense that the engine was developed in Ford Europe for the Mondeo.

One way to tell would be to order some parts for the V6 and see where the parts were manufactured, its an easy way of telling what parts came from which company in my Probe. If its expensive and was made in Japan, its pretty safe its from Mazda.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Originally posted by Steve 6er

Just as long as they don't mess in Mazda's internal affairs like design. No Ford parts in a Mazda. Ever!!!![/b]
Mark Fields, president of Mazda Motor, said this at the 2000 North American Auto Show:

"The savings we gain in sharing product development costs with Ford...get reinvested in suspension, braking and seat feel to make the Mazda different. Otherwise we end up with mediocrity."

1 - 20 of 49 Posts