Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
It's hard not to like the TL models and this one is no different however for almost the same money the competition is still a step above in my opinion and the article was dead on when they made mention of the is350 and BMW 335i. The performance specs on that new beamer is unbelievable for the price and will put many cars to shame!

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's hard not to like the TL models and this one is no different however for almost the same money the competition is still a step above in my opinion and the article was dead on when they made mention of the is350 and BMW 335i. The performance specs on that new beamer is unbelievable for the price and will put many cars to shame!
[/b]

Yea..Have you heard about the IS500???
video
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Gener...rticleId=116539

Looks the same to me but they say it has better performance.
im sure it will be $$$

·
Registered
531 Posts
Nope I haven't, thanks for the link. Looks like it will definitely compete well with the 335i. But yeah, I won't be surprised to see a price tag closer to 50k.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yea..Have you heard about the IS500???
video
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Gener...rticleId=116539

Looks the same to me but they say it has better performance.
im sure it will be $$$
[/b]

:drool: I freakin love that car. I'm actually planning on purchasing a 350 towards the end of next year. I'll be interested to see what the pricetag on the 500 is. Might just get me a little upgrade!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I've liked the shape of the recent TL, but the price is ridiculous!! I could buy my car twice!

·
Registered
990 Posts
I like the styling of the TL & the new Type S...but I'd take a new G35 Sedan over either in a heartbeat.

·
Administrator
2018 Mazda6 GT Reserve
8,553 Posts
I like the styling of the TL & the new Type S...but I'd take a new G35 Sedan over either in a heartbeat.
[/b]
Agreed! :yesnod: Mostly because the G is RWD.

·
Registered
634 Posts
If I was looking at a 40K price point I'd be looking at the BMW 335 or the new G35...definitely not the TL. I'd probably lean toward the 335...I can't wait to see what Dinan can do with that powertrain.

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
One of the Auto Mag's said it was a nice car but hurting since it was still FWD

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Acura should have done thier "Super SH Handling" package with it, if it has a decent 4WD system I would look at it further....

·
Registered
2,405 Posts
Acura should have done thier "Super SH Handling" package with it, if it has a decent 4WD system I would look at it further....
[/b]
I don't think they will do that since it will cut into their RL sales. From what I understand its a decent AWD system but by giving the TL typeS that its just a RL w/ a diffrent body.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
What RL sales? The RL is a misbegotten joke of a car. The TL looks better, drives better, and is roomier. The Type-S trim is almost perfection (the middle of the lower front fascia should have extended the grillework full width). I am relieved they didn't add AWD to it, though. I like to feel the road.

Anyway, pricewise, the Lexus and the BMW aren't even competitive. The Type-S is VERY well equipped, forcing the Lexus into a $9000 options package to compete (and no manual transmission flunks it). You're mid-to-upper 40's versus $38,995. A comparably equipped 335i is almost $46,000. They're in a different class. Their compact size is also far less roomy for passengers and cargo than the mid-size Acura TL

The Infiniti can't be optioned the same, the closest is about $1000 less without satellite radio. I have not sat in the new G35 to compare interior room or ambience. However, you can at least keep these two as competitors within the bounds of reason.

The Type-S would have been better with one addition and one subtraction: add a folding rear seat and subtract the navigation from the standard equipment list. These two items, and I would have seriously done financial suicide and gunned for it.

I probably will go out to drive it, even though the money isn't there for me.

·
Registered
531 Posts
What RL sales? The RL is a misbegotten joke of a car. The TL looks better, drives better, and is roomier. The Type-S trim is almost perfection (the middle of the lower front fascia should have extended the grillework full width). I am relieved they didn't add AWD to it, though. I like to feel the road.

Anyway, pricewise, the Lexus and the BMW aren't even competitive. The Type-S is VERY well equipped, forcing the Lexus into a $9000 options package to compete (and no manual transmission flunks it). You're mid-to-upper 40's versus $38,995. A comparably equipped 335i is almost $46,000. They're in a different class. Their compact size is also far less roomy for passengers and cargo than the mid-size Acura TL

The Infiniti can't be optioned the same, the closest is about $1000 less without satellite radio. I have not sat in the new G35 to compare interior room or ambience. However, you can at least keep these two as competitors within the bounds of reason.

The Type-S would have been better with one addition and one subtraction: add a folding rear seat and subtract the navigation from the standard equipment list. These two items, and I would have seriously done financial suicide and gunned for it.

I probably will go out to drive it, even though the money isn't there for me.
[/b]

If you're looking for bells and whistles I agree, the BMW and Lexus when optioned out on carsdirect easily climb past 45k however they DO indeed start at about the same price albeit in base trim. So for someone looking for a performance/luxury sedan with only some bells and whistles they can still get the lexus or beamer for 3-4k more with navi, leather AND rear wheel drive. And if 3-4 k more is too much for someone in the market for a car in that price range, then they should probably re-think their priorities.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
However, the base trim on the Lexus and particularly the BMW (vinyl upholstery?!?) are more basic than the comprehensive standard equipment on the TL Type S. I am equipping them on the manufacturer websites to approximate the level of equipment on the Acura, to make it an apples-to-apples comparison. The much smaller passenger and cargo space (particularly the Lexus' joke for a back seat) also need to be considered in rating the overall packages. I consider FWD and RWD to be equally capable, and the Acura TL (I drove an A-Spec model, the suspension has likely carried over to the Type-S) has exceptional handling.

On weight, the Lexus is 3527 pounds, the Type-S is 3559 pounds, and the BMW is 3593 pounds. A wash.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
For daily use yes, but if thrown into heavy cornering a 3600 lb FWD sedan is going to plow, its just the way it is...

I really like the TL-S, I sat in one was impressed, not overly impressed, but I had just gotten out of an M5...

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
The A-spec plowed a little bit, but was more sure footed and confident than the tail happiness common in RWD cars when the nannies are turned off (necessary for agressive driving), while still being quite nimble and very responsive. Both are greatly preferred over the numb isolation from the road caused by AWD.

I love my Mazda6, and need the utility the 5-door body offers, but still really want the feeling of being someone special the Acura TL provides in spades, and while not a power monster, a little more firepower in the arms race wouldn't hurt either. Why won't anyone make a car that gives the buyer all this?

Trying to directly compare the Type-S to a car over twice its price and less than half its reliability (I have heard nothing but problems first hand, including a lemon-law case on the M5) is simply impossible.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts