Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been trying to pinpoint the nasty harshness of my stereo for weeks now. It's been driving me nuts- sounding awful on 90% of all music.

Today, I finally took a discman out to the car and hooked it directly up to the amp rather than using the head unit and a LOC.

It sounded MAGNIFICANT.

Mark my words: the stereo is coming out, and I will figure out a way to pull RCA outs from the stock unit. I'm pissed as hell. It really sounds awful, and the better my stereo gets, the more apparent the awful sound from the stock head unit is.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Reading Topic: The STOCK stereo SUCKS

Let me re-emphisize that I'm pissed off.

And to all you who said LOC worked well even in high-end audio systems... TOLD YOU SO! All your doing is amplifying distortion. Ugh, why do I listen?

·
Registered
1,667 Posts

DAMN! that sux ass! a DiscMan sounds better than the system. shit! i wish UPS's ass was here now, he is fukin over (again).

·
Registered
376 Posts
Replying to Topic 'The STOCK stereo SUCKS'

i don't really care about much quality since i will listen almost all the time to mp3s in the car, and when i want to listen to music, i stop everyting and listen so i'd rather invest in my home system! :D

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

LOC = "Line Out Converter"

It attenuates the amplified output to a quieter pre-amplifier signal. It allows you to hook the stock head unit's amplified outputs into an external amplifier.

Of course, since you're getting the signal from the amplifier, you're amplifying the distortion that is already present in the signal.

It's awful. The worst part is, the better you make your aftermarket stereo, the worse it sounds- the added detail makes the distortion more prominent. Ugh, and the weather just turned nice, too-- I finally broke out the old Weezer albums for some loud windows-down singing :)

Be fair to discman- for a simple preamp output, they can sound quite nice. They don't process the signal much- it stays pure. The stock head unit doesn't come close to this purity... it turns music into goobly-goop.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Sure is.

Ever hear thier song "Ping Triangle"?

"I'm dumb... she's a lesbian! I thought I had found the one..."

Classic!!!

Hey- where from in Delaware? I just gradgeyahtated from the University of Delaware last year.

So where are all the people who were advocating the use of line-out converters? I know who you are- the posts are archived!

·
Registered
32 Posts

I live in Dover but know many people that go to UofD. And yeah, that's a great song--I never really appreciated Weezer until one weekend when I went out and bought all their CDs and I'm damn glad I did.

·
Registered
102 Posts

Well, I guess I will step up in defense of my LOC... I think maybe a lot depends on the exact LOC model that you use. I bought David Navone's N774 and I don't hear any distortion or alternator whine at all. Only thing is now the longer that I listen to it I think there is some harshness coming from the tweeter, probably like you said earlier because of the tweeter radiating from behind the two grilles. Sometime soon I will look into a nice way to eliminate one of the grilles. The woofer however sounds great.

I also just posted on another thread some thoughts from the man himself on the difference between stock HUs w/ LOCs vs. aftermarkets w/ RCAs.

·
Registered
657 Posts

That's the thing... Who made your LOC? I mean, a US acoustics LOC isn't going to be as good as a DEI LOC, which won't be as good as a Navone. Also, hooking up a discman isn't exactly the best way to troubleshoot. You might have a wiring problem down the line, but without testing it correctly, you'll never know and blame the LOC.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

I have a 4-channel Scosche unit. Line-Out converters, even good ones (I actually tried two); are simple attenuation circuits. They can use higher quality resistors made to tighter tolerances, but you're STILL sourcing your audio from the stock amplifier. The music is only as good as the source.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

Find me a resource that says otherwise. Crutchfield will tell you a LOC gives crappy sound and should be an option only for people who can't have RCA outputs.

This publications also state this (half way down). I'm sure there are many other sources out there too, or maybe not because (to me) it's about common sense.

Earlier, you tried convincing me, and I thought *maybe* the lack of a speaker on the other end of the signal would reduce power draw, which would allow the amplifier to play more cleanly. It was my own mind trying to speculate a reason as to how your claims could be justified. This does not hold true.

So, even in theory, how does your arguement make sense? You're amplifying a distorted, unclean, messy source. You can amplify that signal perfectly with the best amplifier and LOC in the world, and get a louder distorted, unclean, messy signal. All a line-out converter does is quiet the signal so that it is within the range of the aftermarket amplifier's input.

The stock head unit on the '6 does not sound good, and the better your aftermarket system, the more obvious it is. It wasn't until recent work that I realized the extent of this, because before that I had attenuation, wave cancellation, and off-axis issues. Now that things are properly situated, it's apparent.

It's just like how people claim MP3s sound good until they hear them on a real audio system- and they become so harsh beyond the point of ignorance.

So, next week my mission is to create RCA Pre-Amp outputs. I hope to find the internals of our stock head unit to be modular in the output phase, which might be likely since the premium version is similar but with pre-amp outputs. I will post pictures for all to see (except Entropism :D )... wish me luck, I'm not an expert with electronics by any means.

·
Registered
657 Posts

You say you're drawing from the stock amp? How about drawing from the signal GOING to the amp? That's USUALLY how it's done. I've been doing this for over a decade, and trust me, it's not a rare sight to see an LOC give bad sound, but it's a VERY rare sight to see an LOC give bad sound when done RIGHT.

One thing you haven't told us: Where are the gains set on your LOC? And on your amp? that's a huge deal, as you should know by now.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: The STOCK stereo SUCKS

By the way, good LOCs can be more than just a simple attenuation circuit... the Navone LOC claims to have full transformer isolation with frequency and phase compensation, so there's more going on there than just a voltage divider circuit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts