Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Replying to Topic 'The Six and Snow'

No snow here yet... I would have to drive 100km to north and there would be snow, southern coastline always gets the snow much later - if ever... And it can look kind of dull in winter without snow. :/

Maybe Steve has some snow?

·
Registered
71 Posts

I was try Mazda6 on snow and ice althoug I live several hundreds km south of
Finland. Put the winter tyres on and enjoyed it! TCS+DSC work nicely on slippery
surfaces. Except quick start in the first gear with front wheels turned to one side - when
one wheels loses the grip the system is unable to solve the situation smoothly.
But the snow period was quite short so is my report.

·
Registered
244 Posts

Originally posted by MazdaSpeed

I can`t understand why Mazda doesn`t deliver TCS on the 1.8....[/b]
It's optional in here and should also be in Finland as we get our Mazdas from there. Maybe you should tell your dealer that you want it and they'll find a way to get it for you.

·
Registered
355 Posts

should also be in Finland as we get our Mazdas from there.[/b]
Yes you can get it with extra euros... But I believe who was wondering this is from Norway. But I believe they have this option also... But this time with extra crowns? :)

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Well, I've been driving on snow all day. Even pushed it around some corners.

It's doing great. The TCS/DSC jumps in very smooth and help whenever necessary. Like all FWD cars, Mazda6 is eager to loosen its rear if you let go of the gas in the middle of a curve.

There are no surprises driving it on a winter road. It communicates with the driver. What you think it will do when you act, it does. And those brakes are very good. I understand why it got such good criticism.

The heat is good too, and the seat heaters are very quick and powerful.

All in all - it rocks. As expected!:D

·
Registered
355 Posts

Thanks Steve, really good news for me. :)

So far all the tests have been made in summer, so I didn't have any news on how it works in winter... Now Steve gave us a good view on that.

Later this winter there will be some independent magazines testing many different cars (as every year) in Lapland, I believe Mazda6 will be there too. I will tell more after there is anything to tell.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Actually, it would be no hazzle to get it there if Mazda USA just wished to do that. Demand it! That's my simple recipe all the time.

Customer demand is what runs companies all over the world. Especially those very dependent on customer reactions - like Mazda is right now.

·
Registered
355 Posts

Lots of snow in Helsinki, Finalnd now! And more coming in net few days... If weather doesn't make any drastic changes in future weeks, I can give you my own experiences with Mazda6 2.3 in two weeks time...

Two more weeks, two LONG weeks to wait!

·
Registered
464 Posts

us USA ppl could all contact Mazda and request DSC. We've gotten over 14 inches of snow here in CT already along with a few days of freezing rain and hail, not fun.

·
Registered
468 Posts

mazda 6 does excelent in snow. i recently completed a trip
from chicago to dallas and back. it is about 1000 miles each way. first trip there i did this in 13 hrs. i was flying in the 6. on the way back it took me 20 hrs. i drove through a storm of snow..freezing rain...sleet...and the grounds were frozen. was driving 35 mph on the interstate behind the same semi in misouri for 3 hours straight. traction control+abs+heavier car (old car was a civic) there were 4x4 full size pickups in the ditch. as well as semi's i was passing them like it was nothing. i had the 16" wheels with the michelin energy mxv4+ tires also. overall it's a very stable car in the snow.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

Good to hear that.

The reason that all the trucks were off the road was probably because they were typical truck / SUV drivers...

Keep it sane in the snow, people. Good to hear the '6 does well in those circumstances.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I live in the arctic, but we have very warm summers. Often it's as warm and nice as it is in mid Florida. But not all the time, ofcourse (and only like may-aug).

Anyway, these summer days seem to be enough to make people here forget about winter. Every year it's the same. "Oh officer , I don't know what happened. The car just lost traction and I ended up in the bush"...

What is it with people? I never forget to show the winter respect. If you do, you may come out of it alive.

[but the DSC does help, I almost did something stupid today, but the help system saved my day. I went in too high speed in a circulation place. Or rather: I turned the wheel to quick. One has to be smooth with direct steered cars like the 6]

·
Registered
220 Posts

The Mazda 6s handles Alaska driving just fine. As with any ice there is some slip but the 6 is very communicative and you're never out of control if you know what the car is telling you. I'm primarily in the heavily traveled Anchorage area where the roads are mostly a mix of ice pack, glare ice and powder snow. The car is brand new but the standard M+S tires for the US market are doing remarkably well. Has anyone had an opportunity to try some winter tires? I had good results with the Nokian Hakkapeliitta 1 tires (studded) on my Protoge and was seriously considering them again for the 6.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

I presently use studless Blizzak tyres, they are really good. But if you're in for studded, may I suggest you find a dealer that brings Gislaved Nordfrost, they outshine even the great Hakkapellittas.

After driving quite a bit on winter roads I must report a downside: the direct steering of the 6 can become dangerous if you're not careful when you're driving on snow/ice. If you correct the steering too fast, you may get yourself into some potentially dangerous situations.

I'm glad my 6 came with DSC.:)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.