Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Managed to find an entire black interior including pristine black rear leather backseats, grabbed everything but the front seats because I have an 06 and the donor was pre facelift. Ultimately my question is can you run non airbag seats in an 06 that did have seat airbags? Will it just show a light in the dash or potentially more problems? Also it being 2020, what are the realistic current options for swapping front seats?
I’ve seen 06+ into 03-05 but not much else. For example do Mazda 3 or newer Mazda 6 seats bolt up? Someone out here must have done a cool swap!

·
Rally Racer
2,657 Posts
Managed to find an entire black interior including pristine black rear leather backseats, grabbed everything but the front seats because I have an 06 and the donor was pre facelift. Ultimately my question is can you run non airbag seats in an 06 that did have seat airbags? Will it just show a light in the dash or potentially more problems? Also it being 2020, what are the realistic current options for swapping front seats?
I’ve seen 06+ into 03-05 but not much else. For example do Mazda 3 or newer Mazda 6 seats bolt up? Someone out here must have done a cool swap!
Hello Doc,
I would think that they are NOT compatable.
Components that the SRS computer needs to operate properly.
SRS Module
Front Impact sensor
Side impact sensors
Pre-tensioner seatbelts
Front airbags
Seat position sensors (hall, for 2-stage bag)
Weight sensor (passenger 2006+)
Side curtain airbag wiring harness
side curtain airbags.

The short of it is the chances of the two working are slim at best.
Its a coin toss if you retain front airbag functionality at all. The SRS syetem will likely not know how close you are seated to the device and not deploy (for possible result of killing you with the airbag)

How about stretching new leather over the old seat carcass?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well new leather would be leatherseats.com or katskinz right? I’m not trying to drop a grand on seats. I guess it’s as good as time as any to learn to reupholster seats 😂

·
Registered
45 Posts

Watch this and you may feel invincible, until you enthusiastically rip every inch of leather off your current interior and then ride on bare foam for the foreseeable future.
P.S. It is doable. I have only done simple seats though.

·
Rally Racer
2,657 Posts
Watch this and you may feel invincible, until you enthusiastically rip every inch of leather off your current interior and then ride on bare foam for the foreseeable future.
P.S. It is doable. I have only done simple seats though.
I watched my dad teach himself how to sew and then re-do the entire upholstery of the 240Z back when it was his. That was back in the day of libraries (pre-internet)
Well new leather would be leatherseats.com or katskinz right? I’m not trying to drop a grand on seats. I guess it’s as good as time as any to learn to reupholster seats 😂
Maybe something like Coverking in leather would be an option?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Found a company called IGGEE who makes custom car seat covers, saw a couple pictures and ordered a pair. So far so good, I also painted the tan base with black vinyl/trim paint. These seats were a fraction of the costs of katskinz or other leather options.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts