Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
837 Posts
Replying to Topic 'The rear multilink'

WOW! Nice 3D CAD drawing.

Where did you find it??

Can you dig up what the Mazda6 front suspension looks like as well? I am curious about its indepent suspension. It looks like the original Honda's front suspension setup in the early 90s.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yes, see another thread where I posted the pic of the front suspension.

It's official Mazda pics from Mazda Swedens picture library.

·
Registered
514 Posts

What I want to know is how Mazda got a rear halfshaft in there for the AWD cars... I mean, yeesh, it's tight back there!

-Alt

·
Registered
791 Posts

Doesn't look like there is much suspension travel.

How does this setup compare to the multilink or double-wishbone setups on more expensive sports cars? Basically, does it move the same way?

·
Registered
514 Posts

Actually, by placing the springs farther inboard the suspension travel is less pronounced at the spring itself, allowing for a shorter spring to result in the same travel at the wheel as a longer one. That said, I have read at least one comment in a review that the '6 bottoms out a little too easily in spirited driving. This could very well be a result of too lightly-sprung springs.

-Alt

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

I'v seen pics of 6's doing evasive manuvers and I can tell you that the rear end has enough travel to just barly keep the car from hiting the tarmac when fully compressed. It was.. like 1 inch left to the ground :) Just don't get where the wheels go :D Must be a tight fit to the wheelwells...

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The suspension travel is descent, but not huge. But it's a good trade-off between cargo space and comfort. Doesn't have much impact on handling, though.

·
Registered
791 Posts

This could very well be a result of too lightly-sprung springs[/b]
It didn't seem that soft. I'm all for stiffening it a little, but most springs drop the ride height too. There's too many rediculous speed-bumps where I live to do that.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts