Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you old timers on board here, just curious, do you happen to have a particular old car that you almost got and to this day wonder what it would have been like if you had choosen it instead?

But now time has passed and the car is either discontnued or the car is just not in its prime anymore?

Kinda like that first girlfriend that you always wondered how life would have turned out if things did work out... but I digress :)

For me it was the 1993 Nissan 240SX fastback. That car had timeless styling and to day I still wonder if I had one it would be pretty unique right now seeing as how I tend to keep my cars looking like new - given that I keep my cars on average more than 10 years.

Every now and again when I see I wonder.... what if...

Here's a pic, quite a beater by todays standard but still one of my all time favorites. I wish Nissan would come back with a 240SX not like that heavy french influenced Z they have now...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Older style Nissans were timeless style. I've always thought the 2000 Maxima SE were very classy looking. I would have like to own one of these back then. New that is. And yes, that 1993 240SX hatch or coupe was very nice to look at.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Older style Nissans were timeless style. I've always thought the 2000 Maxima SE were very classy looking. I would have like to own one of these back then. New that is. And yes, that 1993 240SX hatch or coupe was very nice to look at.
[/b]

Barf. I would have loved to get the 6 speed SE version of this with the 3.5, but needless to say i could not get myself to like the back of that car at all. Many have said that it was one of maximas ugliest stylings, but apparently it appeals to some poeople. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

For me, it was an 01 M3, but past its warranty. Would have been a nice car had a friend not talked me out of it. Somewhat glad i didnt get it as the deprechiation and probable repairs / maintenence would probably make me get rid of it at a loss, but i still long for one. :)

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Barf. I would have loved to get the 6 speed SE version of this with the 3.5, but needless to say i could not get myself to like the back of that car at all. Many have said that it was one of maximas ugliest stylings, but apparently it appeals to some poeople. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

For me, it was an 01 M3, but past its warranty. Would have been a nice car had a friend not talked me out of it. Somewhat glad i didnt get it as the deprechiation and probable repairs / maintenence would probably make me get rid of it at a loss, but i still long for one. :)
[/b]
I was looking at an 01 M3 before i decided on the speed6 i decided against it after a little research and found out the engines had a nasty habit of self destructing

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
it was a 2001 Mazda MP3...laser blue mica...blue cf hood....fell in love with that car as soon as i saw it.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Sorry, but no Nissan has been right since the early 1990's. The early 1990's Maxima was a great car, unlike these ugly bloated whales that have been on the scene since. Same with the NX2000 (the one I wanted), the 240SX, Sentra (had a 1994 Limited Edition), and Stanza.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
Before my Protege, I was considering a Ford Focus, or a Mitsubishi Galant....glad I didn't go with either of those choices...

After that It seemed like it was God's Plan for me to drive straight Mazda afterwards...

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
For you old timers on board here, just curious, do you happen to have a particular old car that you almost got and to this day wonder what it would have been like if you had choosen it instead?

But now time has passed and the car is either discontnued or the car is just not in its prime anymore?

Kinda like that first girlfriend that you always wondered how life would have turned out if things did work out... but I digress :)
For me it was the 1993 Nissan 240SX fastback. That car had timeless styling and to day I still wonder if I had one it would be pretty unique right now seeing as how I tend to keep my cars looking like new - given that I keep my cars on average more than 10 years.

Every now and again when I see I wonder.... what if...

Here's a pic, quite a beater by todays standard but still one of my all time favorites. I wish Nissan would come back with a 240SX not like that heavy french influenced Z they have now...

[/b]
My Uncle had one of those 240s, pretty sweet ride if kept up. Same black color too! :)

But personally, the car that got away was a Yellow 69 Mustang, fastback. Like my current speed yellow, it was close to that....man what if....

·
Registered
375 Posts
hmm the car that got away....

95 turbov8 lotus esprit.... black paint, tinted black, black leather, chrome rims.

almost had one for 38k with only 22k miles on it....
i was 19 and couldnt get insurance on it, was approved for the loan and everything, couldnt find an insurance carrier who would do it for me

so now i cant find one for less than 40k and cannot afford it.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Kind of along the same lines, before the 6 I had a '95 Nissan Pathfinder that I really wish I still had.
It was a beast, I'd take it offroading through mud, out on the beach, I would beat that thing and it loved it.
When I gave it away it was because the transmission gave out and wouldn't shift into reverse anymore. I put 143K on it though, and it gave me 10 great years.

The body style of that SUV was awesome, and I hate the style that the newer Pathfinders have taken on.
I hate the style that all SUV's have taken on. I think at around '97, '98 all the SUV's started taking on the glorified soccer mom tags and that's when I wanted nothing more to do than to hold on to mine for as long as I could.

I wonder if I should have just rebuilt the transmission and kept it for a few more years. I guess I'll always have to wonder about that.

[attachmentid=12584]

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Kind of along the same lines, before the 6 I had a '95 Nissan Pathfinder that I really wish I still had.
It was a beast, I'd take it offroading through mud, out on the beach, I would beat that thing and it loved it.
When I gave it away it was because the transmission gave out and wouldn't shift into reverse anymore. I put 143K on it though, and it gave me 10 great years.

The body style of that SUV was awesome, and I hate the style that the newer Pathfinders have taken on.
I hate the style that all SUV's have taken on. I think at around '97, '98 all the SUV's started taking on the glorified soccer mom tags and that's when I wanted nothing more to do than to hold on to mine for as long as I could.

I wonder if I should have just rebuilt the transmission and kept it for a few more years. I guess I'll always have to wonder about that.

[attachmentid=12584]
[/b]
those hardbody pathfinders were the best suv's ever.
they were the culmination of everything that was luxury and everything that was offroad and they bundled it into a package that was perfect.
the only problem was to go any further in one direction you had to compensate on the other side.

thats why nissan turned your pathfinder into two different cars.
the pathfinder kept the luxury and on road prowess
the xterra went the other route and was all about offroad durability.

it kind of sucks that it had to happen but it did and now you have to make a choice.

and yes you should have rebuilt the tranny, for the record was it an auto or manual?

i have owned 4 nissan trucks
91-90-89-81
all manual all 4x4 2 6cyl and 2 4 cyl

never had a prob with any of them.
385k miles sold
290k miles sold
189k miles sold
320k miles still own

the one with the highest milage i tried to kill
6k rpm clutch drops in 4x4 low on the street racing my friends mustang
never had a prob never slipped ( actually i broke the drivers seat one time doing that.
and used to outrun him to 70mph

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
the one with the highest milage i tried to kill
6k rpm clutch drops in 4x4 low on the street racing my friends mustang
never had a prob never slipped ( actually i broke the drivers seat one time doing that.
and used to outrun him to 70mph
[/b]
:laugh: :laugh:
That is awesome...I lost my 91 Cherokee sport 6-Cyl Auto...my first car I missed it so much in the winter I went out and bought my '99 5 speed last year...that thing is so much fun to beat on, plus i tought like 4 people (myself included) how to drive stick on it

I came real close to buying an 02 Z06 this year, talked to the guy and looked at it once...I priced out insurance and they put the stop to that deal :(

Just wait till I hit 25...I may price it out again :seeya:

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had an automatic in the pathfinder, because it was the family car before it was passed over to me once I graduated college.

I totally forgot about the Xterra. You're right, the Xterra took over where the pathfinder left off, and it probably one of the few "rugged" types of SUV's left on the market.

The Z06 corvettes are really nice. I wish I had the money to go in on a 2006 one.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
The Z06 corvettes are really nice. I wish I had the money to go in on a 2006 one.
[/b]
Seeing as they sell for way over sticker right now you might have to wait lucky for everyone it is an american car so it will depreciate to affordable levels after only a few years...if you look at the 02's now with 400hp they are suprisingly affordable

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
a 69 Nova SS. i had bought it and started restoring it...but liek everything else in the modding world...the wallet gave out first...and she had to go...

·
Registered
788 Posts
I was looking to buy a 1996 Chevy Super Sport SS ...I sat in the car(brand new)...loved it...it cost 24K in 1996...I was 29 years old...the only reason I did not buy was because I live in the North East and could not feel comfortable with the rear wheel drive...Those car's are now classics and it's hard to get one for under 25K used...even back then you could clearly see that the car was "special"...frick...

·
Registered
86 Posts
Two cars...

1998 E36 M3. Black on black with dark tinted windows. Many of goodies to go along with the car. 4 door automatic (if its an M3 I don't really care about MTX or ATX). 77,000 miles on the ticker. The dealer wanted 14,000 for it. I passed it up because the amount that I drive I couldn't see the car lasting long enough to get my moneys worth from it. And I have a horrific driving record.

The other was a 1998 Quicksilver MKIV Supra TT. Black leather non-targa top (targa top in this model is way too rare for me to look for). Car had 103,000 on it and was completely bone stock. Asking price was a little over 22,000. I didn't get it because I would have no money for a daily and Supras are no good in the snow.

If only I made more money :swearin:

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm always "browsing" for a convertible and there's one in the local paper right now I'm probably going to regret not looking at: 1996 BMW 328 convertible, manual, only 43K miles, and asking a very reasonable $12K (could probably be had for even less). I've always said that I wouldn't buy car #3 until the other 2 are paid (1 down, 1/2 of the 6 to go) but I find myself doing creative financing in my head to figure out how I might pay for it... meh, I've got to fix up a few things around the house before I buy another car that rarely gets used :) The same phone number is on an ad for a 2004 M3, only asking $30K. I wonder if they're salvage or something.

I actually like the 1999-2005 (E46) style a lot more, the 1992-1998 (E36) style looks so dated now. (I had to look it up - here's a quick 3-series timeline: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/archive/i...hp/t-71642.html )

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Fourth gen Toyota Supra Turbo...sigh.
Entered college during the last year of its production so too young and too broke to buy it. Now it's history. I know they'll make a replacement, but it won't be as good. <earmuffs for my 6> I still don't lust for any car the way I did the Supra for so many years. </earmuffs>

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
About this Discussion
23 Replies
18 Participants
Trigger6
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing