·
Registered
2013 Mazda 6i Grand Touring - 2.5L I4 Auto
426 Posts
At 148,111 miles, I changed the engine oil (5 quarts):

Mobil 1 Extended Performance High Mileage Full Synthetic Motor Oil 0W-20, 5 qt

oil filter:

transmission fluid (3 quarts):

Large, zoomable image of Idemitsu 30040092-75000c020 Atf Type M Automatic Transmission Fluid for Ford/Mazda. 1 of 2

and the air filter:

I went with the Mobile 1 oil this time instead of the usual Walmart brand Super Tech because I just couldn't find it at the two stores closest to me. I have no problem with Mobil 1 (can't say the same for Castrol) sp I just went with that.

I'm a fan of Fram oil filters because of the rubber grips, I must say. I know there is debate about the quality, but I'm fine with the brand.

The transmission was fairly warm when I drained the fluid so I'm reasonably sure that's why I only got 3 quarts instead of the usual 3.5 or so. This why we drain, measure, and then refill. You will notice that I went with the Idemitsu brand this time around. That's the OEM for Mazda M5 transmission fluid, so I can't go wrong. Last time I used the Beck-Arnley brand. When I drained the fluid it was reasonably dark, but it didn't smell burnt.

The air cleaner was changed, not because it was particularly dirty, but it's been a while.

What I've noticed after I drove off for the first time was the following: I had a slight shudder while accelerating past 20mph before the fluid change, but now it's smoothed out. Weird. Could this be from the trans fluid, the air filter, or the oil change? A rhetorical question, of course, but all the same, interesting stuff.

Update:
The shudder is still there. Not sure why I didn't feel it in the 2 or 3 miles that I drove home, but no change to that at all.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda 6 GT & 2006 Mazda 6 GT-MT HB
1,011 Posts
And the purpose of that is to keep serial killers from hiding in your back seat?

·
Registered
2008 Mazda 6 2.3i Coilovers/Camber Arms/Custom Touches
29 Posts
And the purpose of that is to keep serial killers from hiding in your back seat?

I haven’t ran a back seat for over a year because I don’t want anyone in my car anyway lol but not having to
Wonder how strong that would be for a harness.
Honestly…. Probably not strong enough to pass inspection. Since the seatbelts adjust up and down I think it comprises the integrity of it being a solid mounting point. I don’t plan on putting harnesses in anyway

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Mounted to the same spot the ones you buy somewhere. Again, not using it for anything other than I think it looks cool.
Im not criticizing you, just agreeing. But you have given me a decent idea.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Today I took the car to the dealer. I was having an issue ever since I changed the a/c compressor a few months ago. I know this vehicle like the back of my hand and no matter what I did the a/c just was not cooling like it used to. I took it back to the guys who worked on it and they said it was a bit low on refrigerant. I took it to another guy and he said the same thing. Both of them topped it off. I had enough of this guessing and spelling and took it to Gunther Mazda. They diagnosed the problem as too much oil being in the system, and a few o-rings needing replacing. Too much oil in the system meant that there was not enough space in the properly pressurized system for the proper amount of refrigerant. They evacuated the system and replenished it with the correct levels and handed it back to me. $255 later and my a/c is now freezing cold! Problem solved.

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
Sad to see it go.
Bittersweet for sure. It was unique and Mazda really screwed the pooch not giving us hatches and wagons for the 3rd Gen.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Bittersweet for sure. It was unique and Mazda really screwed the pooch not giving us hatches and wagons for the 3rd Gen.
I believe that if there was even a 2G wagon they would have been able set themselves apart with them. In fact, as I've said before, an Outback-style wagon would have been an excellent idea and I'm sure would have saved the 6 from its current demise. Oh well. Bring on even more SUVs instead...

·
Registered
7,471 Posts
I believe that if there was even a 2G wagon they would have been able set themselves apart with them.
Well, yea, but have you seen the 3rd Gens? Holy crap they look good. And on the subject of wagons, every one says theres no demand, but there are two Buicks in my sub within 2 blocks of each other.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Well, yea, but have you seen the 3rd Gens? Holy crap they look good. And on the subject of wagons, every one says theres no demand, but there are two Buicks in my sub within 2 blocks of each other.
This SUV "craze" is all manufacturer hype. But here's the thing: SUVs are cash cows now because they have been based on a pre-existing truck or, in the case of a CUV, a car. The development costs are generally already paid for. But as time goes by and there are no more cars to base these CUVs on, the CUV will have to bear its own development cost. The economies of scale will be reduced. At that point they will reintroduce sedans (and wagons) as people crave lower fuel consumption and are bored of that jacked up fakeness. These reintroduced sedans and wagons will be sold as brand new ideas (they may even give them new names...does anybody notice that all of a sudden what was once called "body-on-frame chassis" is now being trumpeted as a new idea called a "skateboard chassis"? ) and they will once again rake in the dough. Car design occurs in cycles, though. Cars from the 20s, 30s, and 40s were pretty much SUV-like with a 2-box design. It wasn't until the 50s that the 3-box sedan really came into its own and stuck around until now. I predict the 3-box will make a resurgence in about 5-10 years.

5061 - 5080 of 5092 Posts