Mazda 6 Forums banner

4961 - 4980 of 4992 Posts

·
Registered
293 Posts
@TalonTsi90 Your arrogance and often demeaning posts suggest otherwise.

Just look up Halo headlights and the new Mazda 6. You said they don’t exist. I and others told you and showed you otherwise. I’ll stop there as it’s really not that important to me.

Chris

·
Registered
2016 Mazda 6 Touring AT
283 Posts
OEM’s do a lot of research to quiet things down as much as possible. And that’s one reason around the monstrosity of an air box we have. I don’t know if you have seen one pulled out. It’s huge. But the short ram CAI gives a mid - low tone “growl” noise when part to full throttle and 80% of the people who buys a “CAI” don’t do it for performance. They do it for sound. Same thing for most people who buy axle backs. It’s adds hardly any HP, if any to be honest, but it satisfies our ears.
Perhaps in stock form changing the intake will not aid power, BUT with an OVTune the Injen CAI definitely makes a noticeable power difference (especially with better flowing exhaust).

all due respect @TalonTsi90, yes the stock intake flows very well, yet quantifying the effect of an intake purely based on peak flow or vacuum does not properly account for the effect (plus OVTune is not an engineer, rather a tuner referencing his experience of tuning focused on peak power and blunt metrics).
In my experience the biggest benefit of the CAI is in transient/variable rpm power, rather than peak.
At the same time I acknowledge that an aftermarket intake is not the best performance per dollar.
After everything I've done, my NA Mazda 6 is as fast as the newer Turbo Mazda 6s!

Finally, the SOUND is AMAZING (a classic Thrush turbo muffler and high flow cat doesn't hurt either). At an Autocross event last summer multiple people bacame convinced that I had swapped a nice V6 into my car after seeing/hearing me run through the course and wouldn't believe me until I popped the hood ;)

P.S. I can't speak to the SRIs, Corksport or otherwise, but the Injen is where it's at IMO...

Reactions: 93blkongreenpro

·
Registered
2016 Mazda6 GT Soul Red, CorkSport SRI and airbox, Goodyear Eagle. 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn Crew cab
6 Posts
According to a reputable tuner, OVT, you can put a turbo on the car, run it at 9spi and you wont gain anything by changing the stock airbox, because even with a turbo sucking air in at a higher volume than the motor itself, you cant outflow the stock airbox/K&N filter. Does that make more sense?

CS doesnt make anything in house. All im saying is you spent a LOT of money for a blue filter that doesnt flow anymore air than a K&N panel filter. BTW,i have the money too, but i prefer to actually spend mine on things that make a difference or are more in line with my goals for the car. ALL of my research shows CS products are more or less snake oil.

Edit: Sorry walked out of the house and left the edit on the pc. Regardless of my opinion, or fact, if you're happy with it that's what matters. I tend to lean towards normal conversational speech as if it's a back and forth and i guess that gets lost in the virtual enviro.

No, i never think i know it all and show me proof that youve "proven me wrong"?
I would rather support a company like CS that has been dedicated to Mazda for over 20 years and is 100% American than OVT that abandoned Mazda because they didn't make them enough money. Also K&N is owned by big financial Goldman Sachs so they're only trying to line the pockets of shareholders. While based in CA, they have production in China so guaranteed your filter is garbage. Good luck keeping your MAF sensor and TBI from failing!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
... OVT that abandoned Mazda because they didn't make them enough money.

!
It's sad that OVT abandoned Mazda. Good thing I had my tune before they did.

And because of that tune, I got better fuel economy.

The highest I can get was 23 km/L but now I got 25 km/L. I have yet to break the record, I'm just waiting for the opportunity to travel for more than 200 km.

·
Registered
2016 Mazda6 GT Soul Red, CorkSport SRI and airbox, Goodyear Eagle. 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn Crew cab
6 Posts
Perhaps in stock form changing the intake will not aid power, BUT with an OVTune the Injen CAI definitely makes a noticeable power difference (especially with better flowing exhaust).

all due respect @TalonTsi90, yes the stock intake flows very well, yet quantifying the effect of an intake purely based on peak flow or vacuum does not properly account for the effect (plus OVTune is not an engineer, rather a tuner referencing his experience of tuning focused on peak power and blunt metrics).
In my experience the biggest benefit of the CAI is in transient/variable rpm power, rather than peak.
At the same time I acknowledge that an aftermarket intake is not the best performance per dollar.
After everything I've done, my NA Mazda 6 is as fast as the newer Turbo Mazda 6s!

Finally, the SOUND is AMAZING (a classic Thrush turbo muffler and high flow cat doesn't hurt either). At an Autocross event last summer multiple people bacame convinced that I had swapped a nice V6 into my car after seeing/hearing me run through the course and wouldn't believe me until I popped the hood ;)

P.S. I can't speak to the SRIs, Corksport or otherwise, but the Injen is where it's at IMO...
I agree that Injen is very good and I could have gone that way but I'm not planning to take my 6GT to the extreme on performance and CS gives me a good array of quality engineered and attractive parts that I can add in stages. No desire to add a turbo or performance intake manifold. I'm pleased with the clean appearance and great sound of the CS SRI and airbox. Price is reasonable IMO and if you join 7th Gear club you get a year of free shipping, a cool hat and t-shirt and a bunch of decals, which I can put on my toolbox! Perks are fun!

·
Registered
1,834 Posts
I’m going to do the Injen CAI (
), since 1, it’s a true CAI, 2, it just looks better and 3, it will make doing drain and fill tranny fluid changes a lot quicker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that you mentioned it, doing a drain and refill is really difficult. The mechanic had a "good time" checking the level of the transmission fluid. My suggestion to turn off the engine is a bad idea. I was thinking that it'll be easier to check it but he said that it is necessary that the level of the fluid be checked while the engine is running.

Did you change yours? I hope you made a video.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Now that you mentioned it, doing a drain and refill is really difficult. The mechanic had a "good time" checking the level of the transmission fluid. My suggestion to turn off the engine is a bad idea. I was thinking that it'll be easier to check it but he said that it is necessary that the level of the fluid be checked while the engine is running.

Did you change yours? I hope you made a video.
They video with the Injen is a local Mazda 6 student at Elon University.

When I do the Injen CAI I will be doing a drain and fill and they will be 2 separate videos. Well, I won’t be draining the fluid. I will be suctioning the fluid out of the fill hole. I will prob do it every 20k miles or so then once every year. The filter should be fine.

·
Registered
2015 Mazda 6 Sport
740 Posts
Track day with my Mazda 6 and another fellow 6 owner :)

·
Registered
39 Posts
Mounted new interiorheater (Defa termini 2 1900w), because old one (1300w) did not warmed cabin enough at -25C(-13F). It was a little bit cold at here.

·
Registered
924 Posts
had a buddy of mine do a detail/paint correction/ceramic on my 2013, its been outrside all its life and the clear coat was going dull. Its pretty much factory fresh again.

·
Registered
924 Posts
see below

·
Registered
924 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
924 Posts
Neat looking car! Just be sure that it's not too shiny. I saw a video somewhere that the rooster was fighting itself through its reflection, and it's reflection was on the car!

EDIT: I found it.

out here in the concrete jungle we fight carpet bombings from them pesky birds, haha

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Obviously not a 6, but i figured it might get lost in the Lounge section. I kept trying to figure out what to do since we went to flat printed plates cause the old ones got so dirty, even with a cover and i didnt feel like taking off every time i washed the car. So i went to my fave acrylic place (online) Tap Plastics and found some bronze tinted acrylic that looks closer to the cars color than smoke does. I used a piece of 1/8" kydex i had for a back plate, and used some to make washers to suspend it a bit off the paint and also ran some PPF behind it as well. I posted before that i used rivnuts to add two extra mounting points, and then used 35mm long M6 threaded rods with Allen sockets to make studs. I sealed it off with some tool box drawer liner on the backside of the kydex washers and super glued the studs in so they wouldnt turn with the spikes. I used super glue cause i couldnt find my tube of blue loctite and didnt want to go to the store.

Even more OCD was used as i PPF'd the dang acrylic as well lol.

·
Registered
627 Posts
Not today but the other day. I missed that 80’s / 90’s vibe that I grew up with.

Reactions: TwoToesShort
4961 - 4980 of 4992 Posts