Mazda 6 Forums banner

4581 - 4600 of 4854 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
I am indeed in Toronto. We don't have Harbor Freight here but we do have Princess Auto where a 'disposable' 4 1/2" angle grinder can be had for CA$40. The more pressing problem however is that while I was under the car cursing the welding fool for having gone to town on BOTH sides of every bolt in the system, I found my flex pipe flanges are pretty roached and I'll need to replace that as well. I can get a good deal on a new, stainless flex pipe (US$129) from a local manufacturer, but of course as has been my luck today, they're a Mon-Fri shop. It looks like this will now be a next weekend project.

I ran into that issue of destroyed flanges when I did my exhaust work, I ended up welding the entire system, the only thing that bolts on my exhaust now is the y pipe that runs under the oil pan to the precats I know you probably won’t be doing this, because I was doing custom work, just tying to say I feel your pain lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
110 Posts
I guess ultimately it's just a first world problem @bluedevil6 it's frustrating though, having been gearing up for this while waiting for all of the bits & pieces to come in over the past couple of weeks to then roll under the car to soak it with PB Blaster for tomorrow and see that mess of welding. At least I have cool black tail lights and a fancy new 3-ton floor jack to show for today's efforts...

·
Registered
625 Posts
just a simple oil change today trying the supertech brand oil for a change since the Valvoline price has jumped :mad: after some research it sounds just as good (if not better)
SuperTech Full Synthetic 5w-20 (oil)
Motorcraft Fl-820S (filter)

·
Rally Racer
2,294 Posts
I am indeed in Toronto. We don't have Harbor Freight here but we do have Princess Auto where a 'disposable' 4 1/2" angle grinder can be had for CA$40. The more pressing problem however is that while I was under the car cursing the welding fool for having gone to town on BOTH sides of every bolt in the system, I found my flex pipe flanges are pretty roached and I'll need to replace that as well. I can get a good deal on a new, stainless flex pipe (US$129) from a local manufacturer, but of course as has been my luck today, they're a Mon-Fri shop. It looks like this will now be a next weekend project.

I still can't wrap my mind around who would do that.. anyhow, at least you have a nice jack. I struggled with a tiny footed 1.5 ton for years (decade+ really) before making the upgrade (for my exhaust system too ironically.)

My tidbit of modification was pure ego today. I had a fellow user ( @kiwiatenza ) send me his badges and I pilfered an 'S' badge off a wrecked Corolla to finish my "little vision" Cheesy I know but maybe it'll start a little conversation in the parking lot some day.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Installing my speaker package today:

Front - JBL GX608c 6-1/2" component system
Rear - JBL 628 6-1/2" coaxial system
Amp - Kicker CXA300.4

It's a similar setup to what I had in the 2015 I previously owned and it was a great system, so why mess with what works? However, I am also going to add a AudioControl LC7i DSP system to it to supplement the MZ3 head unit. Been told on a few fronts that it cleans up audio considerably.

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
My tidbit of modification was pure ego today. I had a fellow user ( @kiwiatenza ) send me his badges and I pilfered an 'S' badge off a wrecked Corolla to finish my "little vision" Cheesy I know but maybe it'll start a little conversation in the parking lot some day.

That looks really good. I really like the idea of using the S from the toyota. Should have been like that from Mazda!

Yesterday I tracked down the coolant leak from the common leaky T fittings on my '07 after I found a puddle of coolant under the car. Also got the fusion engine on an engine stand so I can get the engines swapped soon. :)

·
Rally Racer
2,294 Posts
That looks really good. I really like the idea of using the S from the toyota. Should have been like that from Mazda!
Thanks man, I feel the same way. Trying to make it look like it might if Mazda did offer a Special performance package. Stuff for the twisty roads.
Yesterday I tracked down the coolant leak from the common leaky T fittings on my '07 after I found a puddle of coolant under the car. Also got the fusion engine on an engine stand so I can get the engines swapped soon. :)
That pesky T-fitting. I keep a spare in my glove box.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Today, I swapped out my OEM map light lamps for LEDs. Just a slight difference in light output. I’m fairly certain that I’ll even be able to see inside the car after dark now...

Attachments

·
Registered
674 Posts
Traded it in on a VW GTI.

My world changed and my needs changed and I just didn't need a big 4-door sedan anymore. The 6 is a great car and I have no real complaints. I just wanted something smaller and faster.

Good luck and safe driving to everyone here.

·
Registered
302 Posts

My world changed and my needs changed and I just didn't need a big 4-door sedan anymore. The 6 is a great car and I have no real complaints. I just wanted something smaller and faster.

As long as it's a manual! The best for both of you

·
Rally Racer
2,294 Posts

I have been eyeing an R for myself recently, since driving my friends Focus RS. Wife will likely veto... but she has been saying for over a year, " can you get a new car yet?" I just love my car 6 wagon...

·
Registered
674 Posts
As long as it's a manual! The best for both of you

It absolutely is a manual. I wouldn't have it any other way.

I have been eyeing an R for myself recently, since driving my friends Focus RS. Wife will likely veto... but she has been saying for over a year, " can you get a new car yet?" I just love my car 6 wagon...

Golf R is an amazing car, but too rich for my slender purse. I'm happy with 220hp/258tq and FWD. I'd have trouble letting go of a 6 wagon too. They don't make then like that any more.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I did this today; I replaced my antenna base that was useless after someone snapped my antenna off last week and left a 100% seized rusty threaded stub, then replaced the original whip with a shark fin.

I also received a bright red box full of wagon-specific lowering springs (and free stickers!) from Eibach.

Attachments

·
Registered
110 Posts
It’s been mentioned elsewhere but I did do this to my 6 today...

Full replacement of both pre-cats, both main cats and the flex pipe as well as all four O2 sensors. Challenges after cutting the old stuff out included two snapped manifold studs - one on the front & one on the back, and a slightly off-square EGR bung on the firewall pre-cat that required close to an hour of encouraging to get the tube seated and bolted down.

But it’s done and my CEL is gone, so that’s a 9 1/2 hour win.

4581 - 4600 of 4854 Posts