Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 439 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this post and a member robinlb retrofitted fx35 projectors in his 6. The post is pretty vauge about the modifications needed, and I was wondering if anyone else knows what is involved in this retro? Also, does anyone know robinlb? His/Her profile says that they where last active Dec. 5th 06. I PMed for information but have not received a response. I loved the pics of this member's retro and would like to do the same for mine, any info on this (fx35 retro) will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Since this is now the "hybrid" projector thread, feel free to add your lense swaps, hybrids, etc...

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
robinlb is from china and seldom comes online in m6c.... so u might want to look for him at china atenza or something...

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Well, he's on HIDPlanet from time-to-time. Too bad HIDPlanet doesn't have PM system.

I know of the FX retro you're talking about that he did. Unfortunately very little is known about it. Leave him a PM here on m6c and hope that he reads it within the next year or so :)

Or you can hunt for him on the Chinese Mazda6 boards, as Tim suggested, if you're able to deal with the language.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I went ahead and bought some fx35 projectors. They should be here tomarrow. I am going to try and do my retro with them, but just in case, I also bought some e46 ECEs from HIDPlanet. (and I got a left and a right, not two lefts :nana: ) I will do a write up on the fx retro and share with the club. It would be great if someone had 1 or 2 broken or unneeded '03-'05 headlights w/fog that I could buy so I can mock up the fx projectors and mazda6 brackets/housings before tearing onto my headlights. (I can't have the car down for long as it is my wifes daily driver)

And yes I know everybody and their brothers want extra headlights too.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Good luck with the retro.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For those of you who have been watching this thread, I have my fx projectors now. I also bought a damaged but intact headlight on ebay so I can see what it takes to fit fx's in a 6. I will update this thread as I go.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Kansas... eager to see what the FX projector looks like. Mind posting some pics?

·
Registered
316 Posts

They are quite a bit bigger then e46's.[/b]
this is the same thing i am looking to get on ebay in about 30minutes... hopefully they are usable...

·
Registered
708 Posts
There are going to be a ton of these on available soon. Infiniti has a huge recall on 2003- 2006 headlight assemblies. So if you can get these too work, they will be a cheaper way to go then getting the TSX projectors.

·
Registered
526 Posts
There are going to be a ton of these on available soon. Infiniti has a huge recall on 2003- 2006 headlight assemblies. So if you can get these too work, they will be a cheaper way to go then getting the TSX projectors.[/b]
Is the FX35 projector better then the TSX projector?

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I have heard good and bad on the output of these.If you can get them to fit,it would be a nice edition to the line of retrofits.

·
Registered
366 Posts
So r the FX35 projectors the projectors that r on the infiniti G35's? Cuz if they r, IMO there cutoffs r no where near as good as the TSX projectors r. Cuz i drove my cousins G35 and compared to my car's TSX retrofits, my headlights r alot brighter then hers. Plus my cutoff is more defined, the G35's cutoff is a bit scattered and it is not as bright as mine either. Just my thought on this, if ur going to go through that trouble of fitting those projectors in there, i would have probably went with the TL projectors. Since everyone knows TL projectors r really good for retrofits. But u have to have the money and time, so thats just my opinion. Either way goodluck with the retrofit.

·
Registered
20 Posts

They are quite a bit bigger then e46's.[/b]

Looks to me like I just bought a set from the same seller. (Can't remember his name, but the exact same pictures.) I'm also looking at a complete e46 set up for the balasts, etc. and to have the projectors as a back up in case I get into it and "chicken out"...lol...I don't have anything in my hot little hands yet, and will probably be a little while before I get started, but I look forward to seeing how you make out, and I'll try and post my progress as well. Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks to me like I just bought a set from the same seller. (Can't remember his name, but the exact same pictures.) I'm also looking at a complete e46 set up for the balasts, etc. and to have the projectors as a back up in case I get into it and "chicken out"...lol...I don't have anything in my hot little hands yet, and will probably be a little while before I get started, but I look forward to seeing how you make out, and I'll try and post my progress as well. Good luck and keep us posted.[/b]
I got mine from a different seller but was just too lazy to take pics of mine. I purchased mine from lightwerkz. From the sounds of it maybe these arn't that great, but they sure look good in robinlb's pics. Maybe I will check into TL's or TSX's. I can always resell unused projectors. I will still post pics of my fx project no matter what projectors I end up using.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
I got mine from a different seller but was just too lazy to take pics of mine. I purchased mine from lightwerkz. From the sounds of it maybe these arn't that great, but they sure look good in robinlb's pics. Maybe I will check into TL's or TSX's. I can always resell unused projectors. I will still post pics of my fx project no matter what projectors I end up using.[/b]
Well... don't give up quite yet. At least see the project through before deciding whether they're no good. I for one am quite eager to see what the FX projector can do for the 6... there's gotta be a reason why robinlb chose to ditch the TSX in favour of the FX.

Is the FX35 projector better then the TSX projector?[/b]
Its really a subjective issue. Depends on what a person wants from the HIDs. Some want their beams reaching futher down the road... some people want foreground lighting... some people are totally into the cutoff.

Its kinda like the legs vs. breasts debate... naturally, I'm talking about chicken :)

For me, I need foreground lighting and a razor-sharp cutoff with loads of colour. Hence I ditched my E46's since it failed on all three counts.

However, a second person might be happy with the E46 since they don't care much about the cutoff and really are only after how well the projector lights up the road further ahead.

I've seen RobinLb's pics of the FX output and IIRC the output was pretty good. However, he posted limited pics... no pics of the cutoff. I think, however the cutoff should be sharper on these compared to the TSX... I could be wrong though.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Another option that I am toying with is hybrid projectors. Swapping TSX lenses into the fx projectors. I read about this somewhere.

Its really a subjective issue. Depends on what a person wants from the HIDs. Some want their beams reaching futher down the road... some people want foreground lighting... some people are totally into the cutoff.

For me, I need foreground lighting and a razor-sharp cutoff with loads of colour. Hence I ditched my E46's since it failed on all three counts.

However, a second person might be happy with the E46 since they don't care much about the cutoff and really are only after how well the projector lights up the road further ahead.[/b]
As the 6 is my wifes daily driver, she doesn't care about cutoffs and colors, she just wants to be able to see at night. (she hates the stock low beams)

1 - 20 of 439 Posts