Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
6,083 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info on the next Ford Focus?

·
Registered
791 Posts
Reading Topic: The Next Ford Focus (SVT) (RS)

The next Ford Focus and Mazda3 will be virtually the same car, and a damn good one at that. Mazda is doing the drivetrain, Ford the suspension, and Volvo the safety. That's darn near a recipe for perfection.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Replying to Topic 'The Next Ford Focus (SVT) (RS)'

Originally posted by stretchsje

The next Ford Focus and Mazda3 will be virtually the same car, and a damn good one at that.  Mazda is doing the drivetrain, Ford the suspension, and Volvo the safety.  That's darn near a recipe for perfection.[/b]
Wait a minute, then it'll be the opposite of the 6! How does that make for a good vehicle?

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

It might be good. But I think we can bet our sorry asses that it will look ugly... :)

·
Registered
319 Posts

I'm not so sure that is right....

My understanding is that while they'll all share basic platform architecture, each company/division is doing their own engine/suspension tuning. The Mazda will be more of a drivers car than either the Focus or the Volvo.

Remember, Ford is a primary shareholder, and Mazda and Ford share parts when it benefits both companies. Mazda still has power to go their own way, and if they want different suspension/engine/steering etc, they have the right to do so. The cars will not be even close to identical.

·
Registered
791 Posts

I  was reading the new issue of automotive news today and they go into some detail about the mating of the mazda3,focus and S40. I hope this hasnt been covered already, if it has..sorry.

All 3 mfg will play a major role in these cars. They will share apx 60% coponents and 40% will be what they refer to as recognition content. Example the Volvo version will have a door that closes and sounds like a volvo and the mazda version will sound and look like a mazda...the sensual factors.

Ford [Europe] will be in charge of systems engineering, ride and handling, chassis engineering, and diesel engine developement. Mazda will handle gasoline engine developement, powertrain intallation, exhaust systems and cooling systems. Volvo will take the lead on safety engineering, crash performance, structural design and virtual building simulators. They expect this to yield 1.6 million cars per year.

Taking the best abilties from each mfg. should yield all of us some great cars!!![/b]
Once again, this is damn close to a recipe for the perfect car.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by Phrosted

No way man.  Hey, ask AJ what he thinks of the Focus... :D[/b]
Oh, man - don't get me started lest I unleash the fury against the debacle that is the Ford Focus.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Originally posted by stretchsje

I  was reading the new issue of automotive news today and they go into some detail about the mating of the mazda3,focus and S40. I hope this hasnt been covered already, if it has..sorry.

All 3 mfg will play a major role in these cars. They will share apx 60% coponents and 40% will be what they refer to as recognition content. Example the Volvo version will have a door that closes and sounds like a volvo and the mazda version will sound and look like a mazda...the sensual factors.

Ford [Europe] will be in charge of systems engineering, ride and handling, chassis engineering, and diesel engine developement. Mazda will handle gasoline engine developement, powertrain intallation, exhaust systems and cooling systems. Volvo will take the lead on safety engineering, crash performance, structural design and virtual building simulators. They expect this to yield 1.6 million cars per year.

Taking the best abilties from each mfg. should yield all of us some great cars!!![/b]
Once again, this is damn close to a recipe for the perfect car.[/b][/quote]

Maybe, but Ford is Ford. I'll believe it when it proves itself. And right now, Ford has alot of proving to do.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

Say what you want. The RS will tool everyone else's car here. Its the same reason why the Neon SRT deserves bragging rights even though its an ugly mother. The SVT on the other hand, well, you've read the reviews. Its done pretty well, but its far from a top performer.

Don't knock Ford too bad. Remember, that #1 your Mazda 6 is a good amount of Ford, especially considering it was most likely made by Ford auto workers in Flat Rock. #2 European Fords have a much better reputation. Why that is I don't know, never been to Europe to drive one. But from what I understand, the Mondeo is one fine vehicle. Its what the Ford Contour should have been, until Ford decided to decontent everything to bring the price to the high teens. And ST220 v.s. SVT, ST220 wins by not only power, but the interior refinement of European Ford. Again, this is just what I've heard.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

The 6 has a Ford Duratech block, and it's put together by the joint staff of Ford and Mazda. Besides the block, everything else is Mazda.

I had 3 engines in my 1992 Ford Crown Victoria, and when the transmission gave out around 125,000 miles, that was the end of my owning Fords.

Quick note: WTF is a "driver's car?" Aren't all cars "driver's cars?" I mean, if you have a car, and drive it, you're a driver. Shouldn't they be "driving enthusiast's" cars?

·
Registered
1,806 Posts

Quick note:  WTF is a "driver's car?"  Aren't all cars "driver's cars?"  I mean, if you have a car, and drive it, you're a driver.  Shouldn't they be "driving enthusiast's" cars?[/b]
Some people are "drivers" others just "operators". Every day I see hundreds of people just operating their cars. Many would probably prefer a truly "Automatic" car, one you just get in and it takes you where you want to go. They have no connection with the car and desire none. It is an appliance, something to use without thinking.

They have no love of driving just for driving. A 2-3 hour trip on curvy back roads that ends up were you started, without knowing where you've been, is a concept they will never understand.

So if you have a car and you "drive" it, your a driver otherwise your just an "operator"

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: The Next Ford Focus (SVT) (RS)

Me a driver. :)
I operate the dish washer. Wife does laundry.
I also operate the vacuum cleaner on occation.
But when it comes to cars, I'm a driver.

More so now that I'm a 6 owner. :)

·
Registered
3,392 Posts

The 6 has a Ford Duratech block, and it's put together by the joint staff of Ford and Mazda.  Besides the block, everything else is Mazda.

I had 3 engines in my 1992 Ford Crown Victoria, and when the transmission gave out around 125,000 miles, that was the end of my owning Fords.

Quick note:  WTF is a "driver's car?"  Aren't all cars "driver's cars?"  I mean, if you have a car, and drive it, you're a driver.  Shouldn't they be "driving enthusiast's" cars?[/b]
Phrosted,

125K miles? That's not all that bad. Most Dodge trannies go around 60-100K. My brother's Ford Contour went 139K before needing a tranny rebuild. And he ran the crap out of it.

Two weak points in a car. #1 design and #2 build. #1 might be mostly Mazda. But #2 was probably right down the street from you! Its is quite possible that some of the same people that built your Crown Vic, had a hand in putting together the 6. Granted nowadays it all assembly line, but humans still play a huge role in making cars.

Also, the "Driver's Car" is just a figure of speech. What they really mean is an enthusiast's car. Like the Ford Taurus is not a driver's car. But the Mazda 6 or BMW 330i is.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Reading Topic: Reading Topic: The Next Ford Focus (SVT) (RS)

My dad's like that... He sees the car as a tool to get from point A to point B. Sometimes he lightens up and drives a little fast.. But as you mentioned - I don't think he understands the "joy" in "agressive driving". Agressive to a certain point then... Constants redlining might not do the trick.. But curvy roads are way fun at least the ones where you see thrue the turns. I hate some rodes around our "town" that have these zero visibilty 90-degree corners that have these huge "mountains" on the inner side... you see absolutly nothing... In one of my earlier pratics drivings I hade a close encounter with a mofo on a Ninja... He was inches from the car... I find those turns scary :)

1 - 20 of 69 Posts