Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the pictures from the upcoming Mazda 3 and Mazda 9. The new 9 has the same platform as the 6 got.

So let's hear your reactions about these cars..

Coen

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Replying to Topic 'The new Mazda 9/3'

I suddenly remember that the new 9 can be the prototype 'Nexttourer' (which was at several motorshows last year) that goes into production. When it has the same specs as the Nexttourer, it has AWD (X-Drive) all the time, and the rideheight changes itself by the speed you're driving. And a very powerful engine :)

Check the pics:

Coen

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

The front of the 9 is pretty Mazda, but the rear looks like a Pontiac Vibe. I assume the 9 will be bigger than the 6? To fill the void of the Millenia? Or is it being brought out a a full size wagon (but I thought the 6 could take care of that?)

And where will the 3 fit in? They already have a (apparently) successful compact - the Protege. Is the 3 meant to fit below that?

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts

If the Mazda3 is going to take over the Protege (which makes sense, last name being the 323); it looks pretty shweet. I currently own a Protege, and find it is a WICKED car... BIG change in design however.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Well, what can I say? Those cars aren't even close to the sleek design of the 6. The 3 looks "sad", like a puppy. No attitude at all - at least not up front. The rear looks a bit better. The 9 - well, that's not my kind of car to begin with so I better leave my comments back home...:sarc

·
Registered
305 Posts

Wow... Those are.. hideous.

The 9 looks like someone at Mazda said "hey, let's copy the PT Cruiser, but make it look modern!" Ugh. It'll be interesting to see if that variation is destined for North America, since it clearly looks like a hatch design, and MazdaUSA seems to think Americans have an aversion to hatches. (I'm hoping strong Mazda6 hatch orders prove them wrong.)

The 3 looks kind of station-wagonny. But I guess today's 20-somethings think little sporty station wagons are somehow cool. :)

With the Mazda6 the best looking car in its class and the RX-8 looking pretty darned cool as well, I had high hopes that Mazda was going to blow away the market. I guess the law of averages demanded some "ugly" in the mix.

I sure hope the next-gen Miata comes from the RX-8 or 6 team and not the guys who thought that 9 design was appealing...

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Sigh...The SUV craze has its last dig at automotive design. Hail the all conquering crossover. :sarc Mazda is following the latest styling trend, which is a mish mash of station wagon, hatchback, and SUV. It's meant to evoke the sporty utilitarian elements of all three genres without the dull image of a soccer mom mobile. If you look at the Infiniti FX45, the Nissan Murano, the Matrix/Vibe, and the Chrysler Pacifica, they all have similar design elements to these new Mazdas. It's definitely a growing niche, so I guess it's inevitable. Looks like boxy is coming back in vogue. Perhaps it's a rebellion against the bubble-fication of automobile design. In any case most days I don't find these attractive, but on occasion they are interesting.

·
Registered
510 Posts

:)
I look the look of the new 3.......
To me it looks like an evolution of my current 323 Protege5 or Astina as it is called on the Australian market. It looks alot lower and more sleek. But I agree that it doesn't have the same visual effect on me as the 6 does, especially at the front.

To me me new 9 looks like a larger more futuristic version of the Mazda Tribute....

Great Pics though:laugh2:

Thanks Alot
Rod from Australia

·
Registered
319 Posts

The first pic of the Mazda3 is VERY VERY old. I think I had first seen that photo at least 1 to 1.5 years ago if my memory serves me right. I think it looks very snazzy, but I would guess that it is probably completely wrong. From my understanding, Mazdas will all be having the "cat-like" headlamps that are coming on the 6 and the RX-8. Check out the new Mazda2 (Demio) to see what I'm talking about. http://www.mazda.com/publicity/public/2002...0208/0807e.html (BTW, I think the Demio would be a great PT Cruiser alternative for the US, especially if Mazda would put their new 2.0 or 2.3L I4 in there not the "cozy model" but I've seen photos without that weird roof and with some flashy alloy wheels).

The nexttourer is an old concept car as well. My guess, is again, it will look something like these photos, but they will change a lot of design cues. Think of the RX-8 and the original RX-EVOLV from which the decision to build the RX-8 stemmed. They are most certainly related, but really don't look similar at all.

Oh, found that flashy pic of the Mazda2. Looks great! http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/picture_libra...c_4406.jpg?5152

·
Registered
1,216 Posts

Jerome, Great Pics! Nice detective work. I like the new Demio. It confirms the design direction that Mazda has started with the 6 and the RX-8. I'm glad Mazda is keeping with the unified design theme. I think it makes perfect sense for a smaller company so that it can maintain brand recognition. Now here's the question boys: what does this bode for the next Miata? Imagine it with those catlike lenses! The Miata would go from cute to aggressive in nothing flat. Now imagine the turbocharged MazdaSpeed Miata...Excuse me, I have to clean the drool off my desk. :D

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Originally posted by Jerome81

The first pic of the Mazda3 is VERY VERY old.  I think I had first seen that photo at least 1 to 1.5 years ago if my memory serves me right.  I think it looks very snazzy, but I would guess that it is probably completely wrong.  From my understanding, Mazdas will all be having the "cat-like" headlamps that are coming on the 6 and the RX-8.  Check out the new Mazda2 (Demio) to see what I'm talking about.  http://www.mazda.com/publicity/public/2002...0208/0807e.html (BTW, I think the Demio would be a great PT Cruiser alternative for the US, especially if Mazda would put their new 2.0 or 2.3L I4 in there not the "cozy model" but I've seen photos without that weird roof and with some flashy alloy wheels).

The nexttourer is an old concept car as well.  My guess, is again, it will look something like these photos, but they will change a lot of design cues.  Think of the RX-8 and the original RX-EVOLV from which the decision to build the RX-8 stemmed.  They are most certainly related, but really don't look similar at all.[/b]
When you're sure about the Mazda3, I guess it's going to look different. This is just some 'try-out' which is quite normal when a carbrand is going to launch a new car. They have to make some designstudies to find out what people find appealing and what not. So don't hesitate..

Well, what can I say? Those cars aren't even close to the sleek design of the 6. The 3 looks "sad", like a puppy. No attitude at all - at least not up front. The rear looks a bit better. The 9 - well, that's not my kind of car to begin with so I better leave my comments back home...[/b]
And to Steve; I think the 9 looks definetly better than the Mazda Tribute, which I presume is going to replace it (in the future). More agressive, like the 6. And that's a good thing, or not? :)

NOT the least important; I've heard that the Mazda2 will get a fast version, with 2.0 or something. But let Mazda first actually launch the car, and then we'll talk again..

Coen

·
Registered
87 Posts

Wow these are disappointing. I doubt though that the hatchback version of the 3 will make it to the US, we hate hatchbacks. It might look better as a sedan. I hope they don't build the 9, the xedos 9 or millenia was a failure. Mazda is NOT seen as a luxury car maker.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Originally posted by MAZDAMAN

Wow these are disappointing.  I doubt though that the hatchback version of the 3 will make it to the US, we hate hatchbacks.  It might look better as a sedan.  I hope they don't build the 9, the xedos 9 or millenia was a failure.  Mazda is NOT seen as a luxury car maker.[/b]
Remember that these pic's still show some prototypes, and they aren't going into production yet. Why do you hate hatchbacks (or 'FastBreaks'; a combination between a coupe and a station)? I think the 323 FastBreak (or Protege FB) looks better than it's sedan-variant. It's got a better balanced design. And the new 9 will be the all-new Tribute (a SUV). I agree that the Xedos 9/Millenia didn't sold that great, but when Mazda goes on with building cars like thisone, they are going to be seen as a 'luxury carmaker';).

Coen

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Personally, I don't like "big" fascias. I prefer a bit pointier, such as what we've seen in the 90's.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

Originally posted by applejax

Personally, I don't like "big" fascias.  I prefer a bit pointier, such as what we've seen in the 90's.[/b]
Looks like you're not a Tribute-buyer (or other cars like that) ;) BTW, congrats with your 'drivers license' :)

Coen

S

·
0 Posts

Hi, the new Mazda 9 not differented from nextourer? This design more different with Mazda6!

SzaboZE :sarc

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

Mmmmh,

the picture of the Mazda 3 kinda reminds me of the upcoming A 3 by Audi. Take a look and compare.:sarc

1 - 20 of 34 Posts