Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning was the last morning I had with the 6 and it couldn't have been a weirder one. First off, it was raining, not hard, like the world was crying that I was getting rid of the 6. Second weird thing is, the manager of the Dodge dealership and the salesman I was working with, opened the dealership on a Sunday, a day they are never open, to sign the lease agreement and trade-off. The only reasonable explanation I can fathom is, the salesman was selling the car out from underneath another salesman and doing it on a day that the dealership is normally closed on, was the best time to do it. This car was fairly well sought after, about the only thing it did not have was a smoker's package or GPS. When we test drove it, it was basically fresh off the truck, it had 5 miles on the motor, four days later, 50 miles on the odometer when we picked it up. That car had been busy being driven and it's not like it was the only Caliber on the lot, there was a silver SE and I believe another SXT in a different color. Consider that most dealer controlled test drives last at most, about 3 to 4 miles, a quick run through city traffic and a sprint on the highway and then hightail it back to the dealer. So over 10 people have test driven it.

Anyway, it gets weirder than just those two opening the dealership just for us, when grabbing my last few things from the 6, it started getting weird. I pressed the trunk release on the key fob, nothing, I pressed it again and again going all around the car. Nothing. So I had the valet/spare key set, that I had never used before, and pushed it's trunk release button, nothing. The rest of the buttons on both fobs worked just fine, because I unlocked the car, got in the driver's seat and pushed the trunk release several times. Nothing. Finally had to do it the old fashioned way with the key in the lock, I checked the catch and looked for anything that would prevent it from releasing, I found nothing. So I loaded up the Caliber, closed the 6 and left them with the now possessed and obviously pissed-off at me Mazda6.

Anyway, here she is, our 2007 Dodge Caliber SXT Sport 2.0L dual-VVT 4-cylinder with the CVT automatic transmission, in Marine Blue Pearl (One of the harder colors to find I am told). As stated, it has the Sport package which comes with exterior color-matched center console and seat inserts front and rear. Big white-faced gauges make up the instrument cluster and they glow a bright whitish light-green, more white than green when the headlights are on. At night the cup holders in the front glow the same whitish light-green. The stereo is an in-dash 6-CD changer with MP3 capability, if track info is available it displays it. For certain broadcast radio stations, the title and artist of the song is displayed and for most of the rest of them, the radio station's call sign and phrase are displayed in the info as well. The sound system is awesome, we got it with MusicGate, so that bought us the Boston Acoustic speaker upgrade. There are two speakers in the dash, reflecting off the windshield, one in each of the four side-doors, one subwoofer in the passenger rear corner of the hatch and the two MusicGate speakers in the door of the hatch. Only complaint is, now that I have heard the Bostons in the Mazda, which came with tweeters, that I aimed right at ear-level, my ear is well tuned and I do miss the brightness of the tweeters and the sound comes out a little muddled to me, to an untrained ear, it sounds awesome. Besides the lack of brightness, the bass is awesome and vocals come out clear, CD or radio.

Since the 50-mile odometer pick up, today we now have 140 miles on the odometer and I have driven most of it. Even though it irritated me that it had over 35 miles on it when we picked it up, the most critical timeframe during engine break-in, I have continued using the entire RPM range, using alot of wide-open-throttle in the higher gears. While doing this, I have found the "Go Fast" button I saw mentioned on some Dodge forums. There is a button that is pressed, and you can feel it, when the accelerator is fully depressed, if you are in 2nd or higher gear, it immediately redlines the engine and holds it there at 6,250 RPM until you release. Imagine how fun that would be in the bigger, AWD R/T. I don't believe my particular one has electronic stability control, because I can't find the ESP OFF button the manual mentions and the fact I got a little bit of torque steer during the rain when playing with the Go Fast button around corners.

As for steering, not much steering feel, I believe it is electronically assisted, so that would explain it, as for road manners, it works out quite well. Seems to handle just fine. Anyway, I have blabbed enough, it's picture time.

Oh no.. a sea of plastic underneath the hood!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,712 Posts
OK Fordman, the jokes over...c'mon, where's the 6. You took a pic of your neighbors Caliber right?

If this is really happening it is a sad day for Mazda6Club

Enjoy your Caliber though.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
oh, thats the car from the pixie commerical. i remember now.

i believe it got second to last place in a comparo vs the mazda 3 and a few others,

have fun with the fiero. the 6 was rightfully mad.

·
Registered
531 Posts
How does the cvt feel? Is it the stepped type (where you still feel the shifts) or is it like a gulf cart (no shift feel, just acceleration)?

Anyway good luck with your new mobile.

·
Registered
922 Posts
congrats on the new ride... regardless how people feel, if it suits you it suits you... cars types aren't always a WANT sometime they are a NEED. Mostly though they are a little bit of both and the Caliber is what you chose.

BTW did they have any R/T's on the lot yet? How about the SRT model?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I would have had my gf buy one, but unfortunately there is no built in vase for flowers so... it was a no.

Movin down to a 4 banger... tsk tsk. :(:(:(

Seems like it has nice options, unfortunately way too many "dodge" reminders on it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Congrats on the new car.

I don't mean to be an a$$, but if you really have the cash flow problems you've stated in other posts, why buy a new car? High new car turnover, high interest rates and long terms is textbook on how to be upside-down on a loan.

Just trying to understand the logic...

·
Premium Member
5,156 Posts
LOL, the 6 was not pissed off! The reason why the trunk didn't open via key fob was because in unpacking your glove compartment, you probably hit the trunk switch by accident to keep the trunk from auto-opening :p A few people have done this and have hit themselves in the head after they find out its the glove compartment button that was switched. Yes even the interior button doesnt work. That is why you have a valet key and to lock the trunk from valet-looters is to push the button and then lock your glove compartment with your NON-valet key.

Well have fun with your new cars!

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
Yeah, that button is an annoyance... and really poor design.

Why can't they do something simple, like turning the key in the lock like on my RX-7?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Congrats, but I just gotta say, in my opinion...that is one ugly car!

·
Administrator
8,395 Posts
Damn...doesnt that thing have like 300hp? Or is that a different version?
[/b]
No, thats a Calibur SRT4, and it's not out yet.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I like the Caliber from every angle but the rear.

I want the SRT-4. 300hp on a light car will be fun. I know thr R/T is AWD, is the SRT-4? If they keep the same pricing (unlikely) as the Neon SRT I may be driving one of them myself.

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
If you want 300hp in a "Light car" the Caliber isn't for you. It weighs in at a whopping 3200lbs -- as much as a V6 Mazda6. And, no, it isn't AWD.

The MazdaSpeed3 will weigh 10% less than the Caliber SRT-4 and probably, considering the over-rated nature of the DISI MZR 2.3, have quite a bit more torque than the SRT-4 does (rumor has it that this SRT-4 won't be over-rated like those past). So much that Mazda had to limit its' available torque in 1st gear.

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I don't know what the SE or SXT weigh in at with the CVT, it's not listed on Dodge's site yet. The manual version of the SXT with the 2.0L 4-cylinder is 3039 lbs with a 58/42 weight split. The R/T with it's AWD and CVT come in at 3,308 lbs with an unspecified weight distribution.

It's quite obvious the CVT is quite a hefty unit. Given the data above, a manual transmission Caliber SRT-4 with AWD should only weigh 3,140 lbs and the SRT-4 being turbocharged and VVT on the intake AND exhaust, I would imagine factory power levels of 275 BHP and 290 ft-lbs, if not reaching the 300 BHP level.

·
Registered
788 Posts
I am thinking the Dodge Challenger would deserve this kind of attention!!! I have heard speculation that at the NY auto show...no one could get enough of it...it is better in person than internet pic...best of luck to you...maybe you can keep us updated...c 6

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Actually, I'm surprised. I like the looks of it. I really like that cooled glovebox and the musicgate. I can think of all kinds of places that I'd use that music gate. Congrats, and enjoy. What's the final price on one like yours? Not lease payment, but total purchase price?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
18 Participants
MZBuckeye
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing