Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oh, don't get me wrong, I love the 6, but GM might suck me in after all.

First off, if you haven't seen this car, I think it's the best looking Pontiac to date:

http://www.pontiac.com/grandprix/index.jsp...p?source=hmlnav

Click the link for the 2004 tour.

Second, I can get this car for far less than I could a 6, and it's looking mighty attractive:

I can get any pontiac for invoice, since I know a lot of people at the dealership, I'd say the invoice of the 2004 GP is around $20,000. My mom's got a sunfire, so I can get $1,000 in loyalty cash, $19,000. I've got $1,500 on a GM card, that's $17,500. I don't know if GM is going to offer any incentives on this car, but I'd bet on it. After destination and fees, that makes the car around $19,200 without options, that means I can get a nicely equipped GTII for the same price as a stripped 6s.

What do you guys think? I've driven the 6 and love it, but this deal might be too good to pass up...

·
Registered
212 Posts
Reading Topic: The new 2004 Grand Prix

If you like it, go for it. But at the end of the day, it's a Pontiac :) I thought my Mustang was cheap looking, but after driving a rental Sunfire and seeing Firebirds, it was clear that Pontiacs are even worse. I myself would not buy any current Chevy or Pontiac sedan, no matter how cheap, but that's just me.

Yes, you get a powerful, big, fairly decent handling car for extremely good price. In the end, it's your money - spend it well and make sure you don't regret your purchse later.

·
Registered
305 Posts

That's the one based on the Australian car, right?

It wouldn't tempt me. I don't like the styling at all. Screams "cheesy American". The 6 is sporty but still subtle and sleek.

I do like the fact that the Grand Prix has an available HUD, though. :)

Seriously... You'll just have to drive it and see how it handles, how the interior feels, etc. It's really too early to tell with no hands-on experience.

Having owned GM and having owned a previous Mazda and a Ford Probe built in the same plant as the 6, I'd definitely still go for the 6 just for build quality and reliability.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Maybe I should be hoping that Mazda rolls out some nice incentives around April/May when I'll be ordering the car. And yes, the HUD is totally awesome. It's like driving a video game! Now, whether or not that's a good thing is another issue intirely. :p

The GTO is based on the Holden Monaro, as far as I know the new GP is all Pontiac.

Mmmm.... heated leather seats are pulling me in....

As far as build quality goes, I could always get an extended warrenty with all the money I save :)

·
Registered
305 Posts

Hmmm... Automobile Magazine is pretty lukewarm on it.

http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/0303_...tiac_grandprix/

It certainly doesn't read like it handles like a 6.

And if this is the best they can come up with... :)
When asked what sets the Grand Prix apart from the growing list of great sedans from Japan and Germany, Lynn Myers, Pontiac-GMC's general manager, said, "Well, it's a Pontiac."[/b]

·
Registered
1,423 Posts

Yeah I like the tapshift part too. That interior is a big improvement for Pontiac. Also I hope they use softer plastics in this one they the usually do.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Replying to Topic 'The new 2004 Grand Prix'

Originally posted by CzechMate

If you like it, go for it. But at the end of the day, it's a Pontiac :)[/b]
Werd! I personally would not get an American car. Sure they are cheap but that also means cheaper quality. But hey if you want to save some dough and that is a car you like than by all means go for it.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Man, I'm torn, I really like the idea of being able to say to someone, "my car is the blue mazda" and not having to walk them to it in a parking lot. :p Mazda has said they're going to be offering incentives com April, so I hope they're good ones, I definately think the 6 is a better car...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts