Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just curious how many people actually hate the name Mazda6. The initial global name for the Mazda6 is just the number 6, but I see recently they changed it to Mazda6. So the full name of the car is now Mazda Mazda6. What do you know, the newer cars are now Mazda Mazda2(Demio); Mazda Mazda3(Familia / Protege); Mazda Mazda6(Capella / 626)... Come on, if the cars are now revolutionized, give them proper names.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Reading Topic: The name Mazda6

The idea is that it emphasized the make, not the model. Instead of telling people that you drive an "Accord" or an "Altima," you tell them you drive a "Mazda." Oh, you drive a Mazda, what kind? "A 6," you say.

:D

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

I don't believe it's actually Mazda Mazda6. Brand name and model name become sort of one when you speak out the name of the car. They're unseparatable. Only when you speak of Mazda in general you use that brand name. I think it's supposed to increase the brand awareness for Mazda's products.

I like Atenza better, it sounds better IMO.

·
Registered
526 Posts

From what I've read (and what's on my window sticker) the official name is actually Mazda Mazda6. That everyone calls it the 6 is a given. Mazda did some research and realized that many people weren't associating cars like the Miata with Mazda - they thought someone like Toyota or Nissan actually made it. Their success was being attributed to someone else. Hence, put an unmistakable name on their cars.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Those who thought Toyota or Nissan made the Miata are, well, idiots. Why should we bother to convince those who know nothing about cars? And if they see a car and can't figure out the brand with the logo at the back, they don't deserve to drive one.

What Mazda needs to do is to make better products, not to remind people their brand. If they screw up their cars, then the name Mazda6 would become a loser, and everyone will know Mazda make bad cars. Use a 'regular' or a good name is better than using an emphazing name.

The official name is Mazda Mazda6, as it appears on mazdausa.com. If I were Mazda officials, I would use Atenza globally. Toyota, Honda, BMW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz... all use same names on their cars globally. An international name is better than a regional name.

·
Premium Member
1,776 Posts

The problem with names is that some might have a weird, provocative or even offensive meaning in some countries. Honda for example named a compact car 'Fitta' (Fita?) before they found out that it stood for the female genital in Swedish (Steve or Blackbird should know that story, I believe it was Swedish, correct me if I'm wrong). Now it's called Honda Jazz. That's a good explanation why they give cars different names for different global markets.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

The word Atenza is generated from Latin or something. But it's best to name it properly than using weird names. We don't see problems with names like Accord, Camry, 3-series, C-class, A4, A6, etc. So if they have put so much effort on their cars, would it kill you to name them properly?

·
Registered
526 Posts
Replying to Topic 'The name Mazda6'

Originally posted by melvincat03

Those who thought Toyota or Nissan made the Miata are, well, idiots.  Why should we bother to convince those who know nothing about cars?  And if they see a car and can't figure out the brand with the logo at the back, they don't deserve to drive one.  

What Mazda needs to do is to make better products, not to remind people their brand.  If they screw up their cars, then the name Mazda6 would become a loser, and everyone will know Mazda make bad cars.  Use a 'regular' or a good name is better than using an emphazing name.

The official name is Mazda Mazda6, as it appears on mazdausa.com.  If I were Mazda officials, I would use Atenza globally.  Toyota, Honda, BMW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz... all use same names on their cars globally.  An international name is better than a regional name.[/b]
You needn't tell me - that's what their research told them. We're not the people being targeted here so the idea sounds silly. However - those that buy the Camcordima aren't anything close to even casual enthusiasts - or even passionate about their vehicles. They get in, it goes and they don't care how. Those are the people being targeted.

And how much better can a car do than the Miata in order to be memorable? They've got their own racing class in organizations like the SCCA for crying out loud.

And although it may sound pathetic - the full name, is in fact - Mazda Mazda6. No one will ever call it that, but that isn't the point. On the Mazda website, Mazda6i or Mazda6s is listed as the trim level.

From JSonline "Mazda6, part of a new naming convention for the firm..." Note the absence of a space between Mazda and 6. It isn't a mistake - it's the car's actual name.

From auto-report.net - MAZDA 3, MAZDA 5, MAZDA 6, MAZDA 8: new naming convention for international models. Mazda 6 unveiled at Tokyo. Series previously registered as MAZDA.3 or MAZDA/3 etc.

The bottom line is that good or bad - no one is EVER going to mistake the new Mazda's for anyone else's cars.

·
Registered
124 Posts

It's got to help Mazda re-inforce their brand recognition. Here in Australia I think it is fair to say that Mazda has been suffering until the release of the Mazda6. We are very used to saying 3 series or 5 series for a BMW, or C class, E class for a Benz, or A4, A6, S4, S6 for Audi, but 626 represented (for the most part) pensioners that play lawn bowls and other less than extreme sports.
Now with the Mazda2, Mazda6 and soon to arrive Mazda3, hopefully Mazda can gain some of the immediate brand recognition that the "prestige" makers mentioned above have come to rely upon.
I'm not a marketing person, but I think it was really smart thinking by the guys at Mazda's marketing department.

·
Registered
262 Posts

Originally posted by melvincat03

The official name is Mazda Mazda6, as it appears on mazdausa.com.  If I were Mazda officials, I would use Atenza globally.  Toyota, Honda, BMW, Audi, Mercedes-Benz... all use same names on their cars globally.  An international name is better than a regional name.[/b]
Toyota Altezza = Lexus IS300

Honda Accord (JDM) = Acura TSX

Yes, it's a little different circumstance because those companies "re-badged" the car under their Luxury divisions, but it's still a name change anyway you slice it.

·
Registered
2,972 Posts

But as I have understood it now the TSX is a more luxurios version of the Accord. Casue you have both the Accord and the TSX on the US market right?

The naming system is very smart. Gives a good "line up". And about the Mazda Mazda6 thingy - in paperworks ect there must be a make and a model. And sice it's called Mazda6 they must but Mazda as brand in front of it... Though I agree that the Atenza name is cooler, but I don't really thing it sounds that good together witht "Mazda".. They don't seem to belong to each other in some way.

And yeah Honda Fitta was renamed to Jazz - but everywhere? I think it's called Fit in Japan by the way...

I read that they had a slogan for the car on the JDM : Honda Fitta is small on the outside, but large inside"... Now that becomes even more hilarius in Swedish... ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts

If this is the biggest worry in your life, you must be dying of boredome...the only thing that bothers me is that I have taken the time to read this nonsense!!

·
Premium Member
3,997 Posts

In the Pep Boys vehicle system it is listed as 2003 Mazda 6 Series

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

Originally posted by fentongove

It's got to help Mazda re-inforce their brand recognition.  [/b]
Holy shit, there's an echo in here! :sarc

·
Registered
526 Posts

Originally posted by toluidine

If this is the biggest worry in your life, you must be dying of boredome...the only thing that bothers me is that I have taken the time to read this nonsense!![/b]
If ya ain't got nothin' nice to say....

·
Registered
1,112 Posts

Originally posted by Ruefus

If this is the biggest worry in your life, you must be dying of boredome...the only thing that bothers me is that I have taken the time to read this nonsense!![/b]
If ya ain't got nothin' nice to say....[/b][/quote]

Say the same thing that someone said 10 posts previously!

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Originally posted by Phrosted

Originally posted by fentongove

It's got to help Mazda re-inforce their brand recognition.  [/b]
Holy shit, there's an echo in here! :sarc[/b][/quote]

I guess he just meant to let people here it from someone reliable. :D

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

The nice reply is...noone asked you to.

I'll save the nasty reply for some other day.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

So are you a boredome or you are just dying of boredome so you read this??? If you don't have a hobby, go find one!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts