Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking to crossbow earlier today and we were discussing my lack of reviews on products. Well, the reason I don't write too many is that I sell every mod that I install, and as such, I feel that an astounding review may be taken as a glorified sales pitch rather than an honest opinion. I would much rather have my customers sing sweet praises about my products than attempt to do it myself to avoid coming off the wrong way.

However, with that having been said, I don't sell the MAZDASPEED Sport Shifter because it's nigh impossible to beat the pricing of such dealers as Showcase Mazda in Arizona, who also happens to be one of this forum's sponsors. So, here is my review...

I installed this magnificent piece on Thursday and I must admit that I was impressed at how well engineered this product truly is. It only takes a quick glance to notice that it's L-shaped lever design is a bit more complex than what is offered by TWM and even RPM's very own short throw adapter. You see, the problem with our design as well as the design that TWM uses (which are nearly identical) is that they put stresses on the shift mechanism that aren't meant to be, and that has some side effects. Whether it be plastic parts physically breaking due to the stress and hard use or just small amounts of binding due to the increased angle of the shift linkage, the fact remains that the design is not ideal. RPM designed the adapter the way that we did as a means to quickly satisfy the demand. The product is simple and cheap and many people have been very happy with it. However, at this point, I must say that the added expense for the MAZDASPEED Sport Shifter is well worth it.

The MAZDASPEED Sport Shifter is very well engineered. It was designed to place very little stress on the plastic assembly and the linkage through the use of the L-shaped lever design to keep the linkage lined up properly and a small support piece that relieves any pressure that could have potentially been subjected to the plastic base. They just got everything right, down to the smallest details.

The feel is very similar to what you would experience with RPM's adapter, but without the little nuances. Since I've installed the MAZDASPEED Sport Shifter, I haven't had a single mis-shift. I even took it to the track on Friday and beat the crap out of it and it didn't even flinch.

So in summary, if you don't already have a short throw shifter, you need this one. And if you already have a short throw shifter, you, too, need this one. Find someone who has it installed and take it for a test drive. You'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Aside from the shifts being much smoother, does it have a mechanical feel? The stock rubber bushings make the shifts feel, well.. rubbery, too loose.. but does the mazdaspeed engage more like a lever, with no play? do you get new (metal) bushings or retain the stock ones?

Also is there any height difference between the mazdaspeed and the stock shifter? or is it same height with shorter throws?

By the way thanks for the review

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ahh yes. I forgot to mention that. The kit does include aluminum bushings to replace the stock rubber/metal bushings.

As a result, you do get a much more mechanical feel, probably similar to what those who have installed the TWM kit have described, since their kit also replaces these bushings.

Also, the MAZDASPEED Sport Shifter is the exact same height as the stock shifter. The throws are just shorter due to the L-shaped lever mechanism.

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
I just installed mine today. I agree with everything Donny has said. It is a very nice set up. The throws are similar IMHO to the RPM shifter kit. The height is not reduced, but unlike the TWM set up, the "neutral" position of the lever remains centered.

As far as install, this is not an overly hard job, but you will need some serious cutting power for the tab on the stock shift rod and some delicate cutting on the shoulder pin cap.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Originally posted by davecoyne@Apr 11 2005, 05:32 PM

As far as install, this is not an overly hard job, but you will need some serious cutting power for the tab on the stock shift rod and some delicate cutting on the shoulder pin cap.
[snapback]391332[/snapback]​
thats sounds scary....

·
Registered
574 Posts
Originally posted by falcontx@Apr 11 2005, 11:51 AM
The MAZDASPEED Sport Shifter is very well engineered.
[snapback]391256[/snapback]​
Wow! Somebody else who can say the "E" word.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Wow Im so happy that this is actually a short "throw" shifter! OMG now Im down with trying this over the TWM. I dont like the reduced height on the TWM at all, but a shorter shift is all that is needed. Thanks Falcon for the review!

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
Hmmm, well I already pulled the trigger on the TWM, but it's nice to know that if that one doesn't work out, I can pull it, sell it and grab the Mazdaspeed. Gotta love options.

·
Registered
87 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, one of the forum sponsors, Showcase Mazda in Arizona, actually sells them for a great price. You can order here: www.mazdasportparts.com

EDIT: Well, in case you're wondering why I made this statement, someone asked and then deleted their post. But it's good information to have for those looking around, so I'll leave it up. ;)

·
Registered
747 Posts
Originally posted by davecoyne@Apr 11 2005, 04:32 PM
[snapback]391332[/snapback]​
I wonder if my local Mazda dealer would be willing to install it for me (since they send me flyers all the time advertising "Mazda accessories" with "dealer installation" available). Does it come with installations for the above serious/delicate operations? I'm mildly interested but working from the assumption that a) I have no chance of doing this myself and b) my dealer has probably never done one either.

I don't suppose anyone here has had the MS short-throw shifter installed by a dealer?

·
Registered
698 Posts
Originally posted by PTinVT@Apr 11 2005, 08:13 PM
I wonder if my local Mazda dealer would be willing to install it for me (since they send me flyers all the time advertising "Mazda accessories" with "dealer installation" available).  Does it come with installations for the above serious/delicate operations?  I'm mildly interested but working from the assumption that a) I have no chance of doing this myself and b) my dealer has probably never done one either.

I don't suppose anyone here has had the MS short-throw shifter installed by a dealer?
[snapback]391467[/snapback]​
Have faith bro! I wouldnt think it would be hard at all to install if you can follow directions and take your time. Hell Ide give ya a hand if your not too far from me. :) To be honest I dont trust most dealers to touch my car, as Ive seen some horror shows of thier work.

·
Premium Member
4,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The instructions are very thorough and clear. Sabrina from Showcase Mazda has been emailing the PDF to anyone who asks.

That having been said, I'm going to go ahead and post it here. If anyone at Mazda, or otherwise, has a problem with this, please let me know and I will remove it immediately.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,771 Posts
Originally posted by PTinVT@Apr 11 2005, 08:13 PM
I wonder if my local Mazda dealer would be willing to install it for me (since they send me flyers all the time advertising "Mazda accessories" with "dealer installation" available).  Does it come with installations for the above serious/delicate operations?  I'm mildly interested but working from the assumption that a) I have no chance of doing this myself and b) my dealer has probably never done one either.

[snapback]391467[/snapback]​

I'm sure you can do it yourself. You just need a few good cutting discs for your dremel. But if you're afraid, your dealer should be able to get it done. I'd call and find out. A phone call is free.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Wow what kick ass instructions! Good job Mazda for supplying instructions for someting like this as it seems a rarity to get well detailed instructions these days.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts