Mazda 6 Forums banner

The LED tail-lights

34K views 147 replies 33 participants last post by  6 Pack 
#1 ·
First of all, this is in relations to this thread here, so just check it out first if you have further question. : http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=61755

Anyway, car-led.com sent me a set of LED lights so that I can try out to see how their product is like as I am somewhat skeptical at them too, but I would like to give it a go as a guina pig :)

I have put the two side tail lights on with some hacking into the housing to accommodate the mod, and so far I am very happy with the outcome. I am going to do the inner two tail-lights which they supply me with two additional LED circuit boards which were made for the two outside lights. From its appearance it does seem to fit, but until then I will find out, hopefully sometimes tomorrow. Also there are two for turn-signal ( blinkers for us Ozzie ) which I am to do them the last.

Anyway, these are the pics for the time being and I will get back with more infos or problem or whatever.

Lastly I have to thank car-led.com to let me try their products out first without paying and I am hoping this will turn out to be a good product for the 6 community. Ofcourse I will pay for the products once I am happy with it :)

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi Dave, from the conversation I had with car-led.com, they can supply either in the LED board alone or whole kit ready to fit on but with a stiffer cost. From the quote I got from them with the whole kit seems like a good deal better than the OEM products that are being quoted that I have seen on the net, but the exact cost have to be from car-led.com themseflt I guess.

The mod itself does seem a bit daunting, but I think for those who did the DDE mod, I would say this mod is easier in comparision. So yes the LED board is for those who are keen on DIY and whole kit are catered for ones who feels lazy to do the hardyard themself :)

One note I found with this mod is, if we can source some clear lense ( as stock is in red ) for the housing, then it will be perfect.

#9 ·
For more clear photos, please visit the link below:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=61755

It gives really good result even better than the original LED tail light on some car.
[/b]
I am not trying to be difficult here, but why won't you give pricing? Numerous times on this post and the other post from above people ask you for the price, but you consistently ignore the question. What is up?

#11 ·
Well, for one thing, this company is not a vendor on this board yet. If they would start listing pricing and selling options, we would have to close and remove this thread as it would violate the forum rules.
[/b]
It seems pretty obvious that they are trying to sell a product. They are using a different marketing strategy (using a customer testimonial), but they are still trying to sell a product. How can listing a price tag be any worse than what is currently going on? Seems to me that they should be permitted to answer all questions or no questions. Problems tend to crop up when you allow people/companies to work in the gray areas.

#12 ·
Well, Joebob, you seem to be pretty smart. As such, I am certain you will not buy from these folks until such time as they have answered your questions. As their marketing won't work on you in present form, there shouldn't be problems because there won't be a sale, eh? ;)

#13 ·
Well, for one thing, this company is not a vendor on this board yet. If they would start listing pricing and selling options, we would have to close and remove this thread as it would violate the forum rules.
[/b]
Thank you for understanding, David. (I will reply your email later.)

We are contacting the web owner to work out the details of the business obout this interesting product, please wait.

I would like to give you a forecast on it: There will be varios prices for the LED tail light based on your option:

a. Do you want the LED park/brake tail light? Of cause yes;
b. Do you want the LED tail fog light?
c. Do you want the LED turning signal light?
d. Do you want the LED park/brake light in rear window?
e. Do you want the whole complete tail kit (with housing/shells) which you can fix to your car within 10 minutes or just the inside LED boards?

So, we will give you reasonable offer of every option mentioned above.
We will make efforts to supply the product in this board ASAP, and the price will not be released before that because of the forum rules.
It took us more than 6 months to develop the LED tail light for MAZDA 6, we believe the result is satisfactory.

Thank you for keeping an eye on it.

#14 ·
First of all, this is in relations to this thread here, so just check it out first if you have further question. : http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=61755

Anyway, car-led.com sent me a set of LED lights so that I can try out to see how their product is like as I am somewhat skeptical at them too, but I would like to give it a go as a guina pig :)

[/b]
Many thanks to you, Ivan. Looking forwards to hearing more good news from you. It is good that you are a killer DIYer!! :) :)

#15 ·
Yeah, I agree with the sentiment that certain questions need to be fully answered. Full disclosure or bust. This mod is not going to be a cheap one, that's for sure.

Price is, however, only part of the issue. Other questions need to asked as well, like the type of LEDs being used. Condensation issues, etc, on the fully assembled housings. Any warranties? How long are the LEDs warranted for? What if I receive the fully assembled housing and find that water/condensation is getting in within a week of putting them on the car? What if the LED board blows up in a month's time? What if one or more LEDs start failing in a few months time? The manufacturer of this product is, from the looks of things, in China, and its not that easy to send things back for warranty repair to the other side of the world.

I'm not sure how many of you remember my thread from January this year where I built my own LED tails. They're still working happily with no issues at all. I did everything from scratch using DOT approved LEDs, i.e. intended for use on vehicles. I also ensured I was spending money on getting "the good stuff", that's locally produced, since I didn't feel like re-doing the project every couple of months. Since my car is actually driven by my wife most of the time, I also needed to ensure that the lights were much brighter than stock, not only in the tail light position, but the brake light position too. The project took me over a month to complete, and was definitely a big learning opporunity for me in many ways.

Some lessons learned: cutting open the outer tail section is quite different from cutting open the inner sections. I messed up one of the inner sections as a result and had to go buy another one from a fellow club member.

Once the whole thing is put back together again, using silicone liberally to keep water and condensation away from the electronics and outside of the housing is essential.

For all sorts and purposes, unless someone with a great engineering mind can come up with a solution, once the housing is put back together again, the LED boards inside are not serviceable. The whole thing will require taking apart again to address issues such as LEDs burning out, etc.

I'd love to get a set of these, in the least just the boards, IF car-led.com can answer the questions we are asking of him. I'm sure others will too.

#16 ·
zoomzoomfan,

I completely agree with you, I was bringing up price because it is the most universal question out there. I also read in the other post where someone asked about warranty and the car-led answer was don't worry about warranty because they will last long time. This isn't the kind of answers that I want to hear.

#17 ·
Yep. That was me who asked that, and yes, I was quite shocked to see that sort of a response.

Absolutely, if the price is alarmingly high then the only way someone in their right mind would embark on such a journey would be if the warranty behind the product was solid.

However, if we're talking about something cheap (< $100) then some people may say "what the heck, lets give it a try".

I'd be in that second category for sure.

#22 ·
GUARRENTEE:
The customer will get a 2 years' full guarantee.
a.The best way: The guarrentee/aftersale service will be carried out locally of cause. So it is very important for us to find agents locally.
b. Or we can send the new one directly to the customer in case of malfunction. That'll be OK for us because our product has been strictly tested. The probability of malfunction is low enough, it gives us the confidence to do so. We started the LED tail for VOLKSWAGEN JETTA\ GOLF more than 8 months ago, and there has been more than 200 customers, but there is no product need repair until now. Also this gives us confidence.
c. Finally, LED is a long life product itself.

#23 ·
Yeah, I agree with the sentiment that certain questions need to be fully answered. Full disclosure or bust. This mod is not going to be a cheap one, that's for sure.
[/b]
ZOOMZOOMFAN,

The price will be reasonable, acceptable, I think.
Yes, zoomzoomfan, it seems that you and I have had the same experience on the issue, the same struggle, same lessons. because I am not a salesman, but an engineer. The cutting, connecting, testing, almost everything is accomplished by my hand ever since the first begining !! You know it took me a very very long time, and I cudgelled my brains for it to get a satisfactory result.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.