Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all

On Saturday morning I was driving out of Sydney. I was doing the speed limit...HA

Anyway this Yellow 6, Flew past me at around 160 - 170.. It was crazy

Then too top it off, Just behind it was the Turbo Astra.

Anyhow I pulled over too sleep in a rest area. 4 hours later I was driving down the HWY
any none other that the Yellow 6, flew past again.

What a sight. I used the 6 as a buffer, and sat 100m behind it
For around 50 to 60 km

You should have seen the heads turning

The moral of the story is : nothing ( Hello to the two girls in the yellow 6) you rock

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Reading Topic: The Hume Hwy Run

haha...great story and you sit behind it doing the same 160-170 k?man that is crazy for both of you :) But it must be a sight for 2 M6s doing this speed together.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Replying to Topic 'The Hume Hwy Run'

We had actually slowed down by that stage..

I'm not a big fan of speeding on the Hume Hwy.

Far too many cops.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

Yes I totally agree with you over the cops on Hume hwy.

You remimd me of my trip down south few years back where I was traveling at legal speed on the Hume,then there was this car,I think it was the Honda Integra or some type like that,flied past me like I was standing still.I thought to myself ,good lord,he was going fast.Then some 10 mins later,I saw him on the side of the road,with the coppers car right behind,and seesm like he was indeed in deep sh!t.But the Hume to the south is one of the best road ever,I still think the speed should be up slightly for that better condition though.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

whoaa..surely not me...
i've done some speeding on hume hwy..but that's only during 2-3 am after watching drag race somewhere near humehwy :)
and plus..i've never done speed over 100 when there'are chicks on my yellow =P

·
Registered
80 Posts

Did a 180 on the M1 in Warragul a few weeks back and the car felt really steady and willing to go a bit more.

saw a copper pulling a red SS about 20mins later. Thank goodnes.

Has anyone tried going pass the 200mark with the M6?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

Yes the car is kind of easy to get carry away too easily.I am not a regualr speeder,and with most other cars,I rarely go over the 110k mark,but with the M6,I constantly go over 120k mark or higher,sometimes I have to question if the speed is really that accurate :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Speaking of accuracy...

Just out of Albury, heading towards Melbourne, there is this speed check over the HWY

I was crusing at the speed limit (110km). As I passed the Screen, it said 110... However
when I looked at the speedo, it said i was doing 115.

Weird..

I would be questioning how accurate the M6 speedo actually is.

5 KM over, entitles you to a nice fine.

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

Thanks for this info Opiate76.Yes I have been wondering how our speedo is in terms of accuracy.Been wanting to do what you have descrbed on the highway,but unfortunely haven't come across such a device just yet.

I have read reviews of the 6 from few magazines,and most states the 6 has display of 100k/h with the real speed of between 95-98kph.except one with 100% accuracy.So I will say most of our speedo will fall in this brackets.So for your speed error of 5k on the 115kph,is quite possible.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

most cars with manual reading do this kind of thing...
the speed will deviates in different speed specialy if you are passing more than 100km/h
with our 6, 100km/h reading is usually 98 in reality.
but u should see those lancer coupes....100 on the reading is 95 in reality and that sux

·
Registered
313 Posts

well ive done 200 in my mums 323 took me seconds to go from m4 maccas to walgrove road exit... (for those that don't know its about 1 to 1.5 km apart)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts

motor magazine recorded the top speed of the 6 at 214km/h and the reading on the speedo was 211km/h. So there is definatly a difference between actual speed and the speedo's reading

·
Registered
607 Posts

I was in Melbourne last week, the local news said somethig about the Government introducing two cameras on the Hume Highway, one that snaps you at the start of your journey and another that snaps you at the end.

The Police will then calculate your average speed between the two points and will be able to issue up to individual 4 fines based on the average speed.

Well something along those lines anyway....

·
Registered
2,256 Posts

I doubt that if they can catch you with that,given that one will need to have a reststop or two,so even if you overspeed,the reststop will take away the higher average speed,unless ofcourse you drive non-stop :)

·
Registered
322 Posts

Point to point cameras are (usually) installed in overbridges along the way, between each 'leg' / 'township'.

There's already the SAFE-T-CAM for trucks that runs along the newell (apparently they don't book cars - or didn't 2 years ago)... but basically it read your number plate as you left the town, then again as you arrived in the next town and calculated the speed between those points.

I would say if there was 4 fines then there's probably 4 sections (8 cameras, not 2) that they measure you between.

·
Registered
607 Posts

More info here

It's just a bugger that you can't remeber the finer details....age is catching up :)

·
Registered
322 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'The Hume Hwy Run'

Heh, well fortunately I've given up on speeding otherwise I might be pissed off. But then, maybe I am pissed off because I don't like big brother watching over me.

I must say that they're right about "will require motorists to drive looking at the speedo at the expense of attention to the road" ... that's one thing I've noticed about my giving up on speeding - that I keep having to check my speedo all the time. Though I am getting better at 'feeling' the speed limits.

Wish the M6 had an optional 'beep-beep' you've gone over the speed that you set warning device so I don't hafta watch the speedo.

Anyways.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts

Originally posted by BeeF

More info here

It's just a bugger that you can't remeber the finer details....age is catching up :)[/b]
For the last 2 weeks i've been speeding when i'm going to and from Uni. But no fines so far (*touch wood). but the reason why i'm speeding is mostly bcoz there would be some fuckers who put my 6 in danger. another reason maybe bcoz i got really tired looking at the spedos that i tend to see the road instead :p

but lucky i never use humehwy very often. always use ol' camera-safe Monash Freeway :p

·
Registered
322 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'The Hume Hwy Run'

Man there's some camera's on monash (I think one at burke rd overbridge), but they're not point to point (yet). There's also loads of cameras on the way to geelong which are point to point, and loads of cameras on the western ring road and I'm pretty sure I read that there was a camera every 60 metres in the tunnels (I did some research before deciding to quit speeding heh).

Then there's all the combo red-light / speed camera's that they've just started installing at a lot of the blackspot intersections. These ones will book you for speeding thru green / orange, and book you for speeding AND red light if you go thru the red. Most of these blackspots are signposted tho, so you know to slow down for them.

So just be careful and good luck avoiding fines... I think they can take up to a month to arrive in the mail depending on if they're a new (digital) speed camera, or old (film) speed camera.

http://www.roadwatch.com.au/ has a fairly good list but the interface is a bit messy

1 - 20 of 33 Posts