Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have earlier stated that I think the heat in the 6 is good. That is still true. The heating system has all the heat you need and then some.

But HEATING isn't good. The automatic climate control of the 6 simply doesn't put the right amount of heat where you need it, when you need it.

This results in cold hands and cold feet. This at a temperature setting of 21 degrees Celsius (69.8 F). I spoke to my dealer about this, and he acknowledged the problem, but said that you just has to turn the dial up to about 23 C instead. Well, it's not quite that simple.

At 23 C you get too much heat at face level, and just barely comfort heat down at your feet.

So, is there no solution to this? Do you have to freeze or get uncomfortably warm? No, you don't. You can switch to manual and put the air exacly as you wish. But then you have to keep changing the settings as it get colder/warmer outside.

Is this a big problem? Not heat-wise. But I consider it a major flaw because I've paid some serious cash for this vehicle. A retune, Mazda, please! I hope it's just to exchange a chip!!!

On a side-note I have to tell you that my old 626 had a WAY better heating with the ACC. Sad, but true...:sarc

·
Registered
2,972 Posts
Replying to Topic 'The heating is lousy'

Said that!

Is the hot air for the legs comming out of those gaps on the centre side of the "feat wells"... Or is it coming from above or a little of both?

I am a very cold sensetive person ( :hoho ) so I shake like hell when I sit in the car at first... Even when it's warm "up there" my legs kinda chakes since it's cold as hell there...

This is the only realt flaw with this car yet...

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Yes, but in a country where 7 months out of 12 are winter, I'd say it's not an unimportant flaw either...

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

If there's no control to direct air flow, can you influence the air flow by closing certain vents?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

There are buttons to control airflow to a) Front defroster and B) Feet/face.

Usually closing one vent usually means more air flows through the others. But I've not experienced the change being very dramatic. However, the fan is powerful and if you direct the air to feet/face, turn up the heat and the fan, you can barbecue yourself.

Just remember to apply oil before you enter the car so you don't burn...

·
Registered
319 Posts

I've noticed that on other cars too Steve. A friend's Millenia likes to roast it all out the bottom. A BMW I was in liked to keep my feet cold and my torso toasty.

I guess there are different ways of doing it. Can you set the temp with the ACC but manually choose where the air comes out?

·
Registered
3,126 Posts

Sounds very limited. I like to have some of the air come from the defroster, with the rest down low. That keeps everything nice and warm without having hot air blowing in my face. Why couldn't mazda make the selection of fans more flexible?

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

Originally posted by Jerome81

I've noticed that on other cars too Steve.  A friend's Millenia likes to roast it all out the bottom.  A BMW I was in liked to keep my feet cold and my torso toasty.

I guess there are different ways of doing it.  Can you set the temp with the ACC but manually choose where the air comes out?[/b]
The answer is no. If you set it to ACC it decides where the air is needed.

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

Originally posted by applejax

Sounds very limited.  I like to have some of the air come from the defroster, with the rest down low.  That keeps everything nice and warm without having hot air blowing in my face.  Why couldn't mazda make the selection of fans more flexible?[/b]
It is limited, but not more so than on other cars. It's the same as it was on my old 626. But the problem is more the programming of the electronics. One would wish there was some way to fine-tune this yourself. Perhaps there is...who knows at this point.

A fun thing is that when it was REALLY cold outside, this wasn't a problem because then the heat was all on. The problem is rather when it's just a few below freeze point, cause then you almost need gloves on...

And it's certainly nothing for girlies goin' to work in their skirts. (Well, not kilts either, gents...):sarc

1 - 10 of 10 Posts