Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
This may be of interest ...im not a oil expert by any means but I do recall reading that the wider the viscosity range, the less quality the oil. Something about the extra additives required to widen the range, so if faced with a choice, i tend to stick with the closer range. In this case 0-20 having a range of 20 and 5-30 having a range of 25.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Maybe it does run smoother, I just find this hard to believe based on my own experience.

I've seen engines run with no oil at all on 2 separate occasions. One was my car, a turbo buick 3.8 motor that burned oil and needed to be topped off regularly. During one such top off, it took 5 quarts. That's the entire capacity of this motor, so it had nothing in it other than residual. Ran perfectly smooth before, during and after its time with no oil.

The second time was when i worked at a service station and a taxi came in with a low oil light on. I added 1 quart, checked dipstick....still showed nothing. I repeated this for 5 full quarts before I looked underneath the car to see all the oil on the concrete, as his oil pan drain plug had fallen out.

Put new plug in, filled it up, and off he went. Ran perfect

food for thought

·
Registered
391 Posts
I'm confused at how this has anything to do w/ Royal Purple oil & why you think its bad for an engine.
I'm confused as to why you think that I think RP is bad for an engine? My comment was in regards to your engine running "smoother" on RP. i don't think differences in "smoothness" can be attributed to a brand of oil, and gave examples of engines running smooth with no oil at all.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Why did I get email notification of the post above as if it was posted on 7-14-2017?

Things that make you go hmmmmm?

Regardless, reading through this thread again has proven to be rather entertaining! You guys are wasting way to much time and money researching oil related info. and spending extra because of marketing claims!

lower viscosity oil was probably invented sooner rather than later due to fuel economy regulations and the need for auto manufactures to improve fuel economy numbers. This is a good thing...better efficiency and protection, and most engines today have variable valve timing, which is typically controlled by using motor oil as a means to operate these valve timing systems , and thats why the proper viscosity is important.

claims that the skyactiv uses different engineering and needs better oil? Claims that high compression needs better oil? Claims that you sleep better at night after spending three times the amount you probably should have on an oil change because you think you have bought piece of mind....The marketing guys LOVE you!!!!

If your oil is clean(change it at manufactures recommended intervals and remember this is because the oil is dirty, NOT because it has worn out), cool (the proper temp. under operating conditions), the correct viscosity, the correct amount....yeah, i think thats about it. Your good to go. If you sleep better paying $30 for a quart of oil that claims it can do special things...well....see above. Never add additives to your oil. Those of you who may have been around cars for awhile might have noticed the two companies regularly using 0w-20 before anyone else were honda and toyota. Also the two companies known for their outstanding products. Coincidence? probably not. Better engineering seems to go hand in hand with being able to run a thinner oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.