Mazda 6 Forums banner
41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2004 Mazda 6S 3.0
79 Posts
My 04 6S has been sitting in my driveway broken for over 2 years. It's got 205,000+ on the odometer. Cylinders 4 and 5 are very low on compression and I think it's stuck rings. I'm blowing oil back through the PCV valve at an alarming rate. I can't afford to have someone fix it and I don't have the time to take it apart and do it myself. I loved driving the car but now it sits sadly in the driveway.
Had a bad transmission and it sat in my apartment complex for two years in the back it was hard shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear and wouldn't shift to park. Once it came into my possession it ended up being motor mounts all three were blown and the trans needed a firmware upgrade . Now it shifts perfectly and I ended up changing the trans motor mount again because the bad trans firmware broke it. Long story short there's always hope bro! Stay positive

·
Registered
40 Posts
is anyone in the 400k club yet? here's my 05 S 5-door. original owner, original engine, original ATX. listed all the work i've done on it in a different thread, but the most expensive repaair was a couple months ago when i had to replace the radiator. leaks oil onto the exhaust manifold, which sucks, but i'm not fixing that

Attachments

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
is anyone in the 400k club yet? here's my 05 S 5-door. original owner, original engine, original ATX. listed all the work i've done on it in a different thread, but the most expensive repaair was a couple months ago when i had to replace the radiator. leaks oil onto the exhaust manifold, which sucks, but i'm not fixing that
Close to 400,000 miles! I have to say, this mileage speaks a lot about the owner.

I hope​ you don't mind sharing your routine maintenance.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Close to 400,000 miles! I have to say, this mileage speaks a lot about the owner.

I hope​ you don't mind sharing your routine maintenance.
Haha, i don't do that much, just the basics...change the oil every 5-9k miles. Coolant and tranny flush every 1-2 years, though I haven't done either since before it hit 300k. My commute is 80 miles round-trip...90% of that is highway driving which is a lot easier on the car, I think.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I posted this in the v6 forum's "How many miles on your v6" thread, but I'm interested to know if there are any other high mileage 1st-Gen 6's with the original engine. Post your mileage if you have 200,000+ and which engine you have. :)

One other person hit 315,000 miles in that thread before their v6 engine died on them and I thought I saw a post from someone that was going to hit 300,000 before me but I haven't seen them post back here since.

Scott
I posted this in the v6 forum's "How many miles on your v6" thread, but I'm interested to know if there are any other high mileage 1st-Gen 6's with the original engine. Post your mileage if you have 200,000+ and which engine you have. :)

One other person hit 315,000 miles in that thread before their v6 engine died on them and I thought I saw a post from someone that was going to hit 300,000 before me but I haven't seen them post back here since.

Scott
Car runs like a dream.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Speedometer Vehicle Trip computer Steering part Tachometer

'07 6 Sport, bought in 2019 at around 180k miles. I took this picture in September 2021, 329000kms is roughly 204000 miles. I'm at around 217000 currently, she's recently had a valve cover replacement due to oil leak, but still drives strong (and with an Injen CAI it has a forced induction sound to it! Amazing). I record from and post if anyone wants to hear that, lol

·
Registered
2005 6s Grand Touring Wagon
243 Posts
I have 230k miles on my 2005 V6.
3rd set of plugs, second set of coils.
Original most of everything else, but I do have a VC seal kit, new dogbone, and set of coils to put in soon, plus front suspension refresh.
Regular oil and T-fluid changes, hoping to get many more miles before I have to scrap it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Been a lurker here for a while, but thought I'd share mine:

I bought my 2004 6 S 5-speed in November of 2014. Had 139,000 miles on it and now I'm at 154,000. That number is nothing to be impressed by, but with as much driving as I do, I'll be hitting 200k in no time. This car still feels as tight as a drum and I'm very impressed by that. Done normal maintenance so far:

PCV Valve and hose
Plugs
Valve cover gaskets
Front and rear motor mounts
MAF
Lower Front Control Arms

Mods:
EGR Reroute (hopefully to save the motor in the event the cats go)
Door guard delete
Shark Fin
Bluetooth

Things that are coming up:
Starter is asking to be replaced
Coolant line "T's" are just waiting to leave me stranded

So far, I'm very happy with my first Mazda. It's been about as much maintenance and research as my old BMW, but significantly cheaper.
Yeah, make sure you get your hands greasy BEFORE the coolant T's break because they are SOOO simple to replace but a REAL PITA when breaking.
Just a touch broke mine, set me back day when replacing coils/plugs. 🤕. !

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have 230k miles on my 2005 V6.
3rd set of plugs, second set of coils.
Original most of everything else, but I do have a VC seal kit, new dogbone, and set of coils to put in soon, plus front suspension refresh.
Regular oil and T-fluid changes, hoping to get many more miles before I have to scrap it.
NO, NO scrap. !
Another cheap V6(replacement motor) will go 60-100K miles more.
Any Ford Fusion motor will fit, Escapes, Mondeo, etc...

·
Registered
22 Posts
1st GEN wagon here with automatic tranny.
Got's 175 K now...

Replaced:
Coils, plugs, filters, driver bearing/hub(easier), fan control module (what a racket! ), Tranny fluid flush/really smoothed out shifts, brakes/pads few times...
Wagon was bought in El Paso, Texas.
Probably sat on a storage lot for a while so outside window seals and a couple other stuff that doesn't keep wagon from flowing on roads/traveling but soon needs A/C charged.

I'ma gonna keep it for a while. 😁

·
Registered
4 Posts
There may be another forum on here to address this but this is the first one I came across. I need advice because I’m on the fence. I’ve been looking at getting a Mazda for awhile now. I’ve got a deal worked out on a 2008 Mazda 6 with 124k miles but I’m worried about that year because of the tranny failure problems that have been an issue with the 2008. Should I buy it or keep looking?

·
Registered
22 Posts
There may be another forum on here to address this but this is the first one I came across. I need advice because I’m on the fence. I’ve been looking at getting a Mazda for awhile now. I’ve got a deal worked out on a 2008 Mazda 6 with 124k miles but I’m worried about that year because of the tranny failure problems that have been an issue with the 2008. Should I buy it or keep looking?
Well..., FIRST, what engine/tranny does that 08 have. ?

(in capitals...).
THESE ARE NOT LIFETIME TRANNY FLUID trannies. 🤡. !

Maybe you'll get lucky with the low mileage and do plenty of fluid transfusions and keep that TRANNY alive. Hope for you if you decide. 👍

I did mine and shifts smooth like EX-LAX. 😁

·
Registered
22 Posts
Well..., FIRST, what engine/tranny does that 08 have. ?

(in capitals...).
THESE ARE NOT LIFETIME TRANNY FLUID trannies. 🤡. !

Maybe you'll get lucky with the low mileage and do plenty of fluid transfusions and keep that TRANNY alive. Hope for you if you decide. 👍

I did mine and shifts smooth like EX-LAX. 😁
Also, the TCM and electricals may be at fault, that's easy. Get reader or pay to get codes , some adjustments or parts replacement but really don't have to be a cosmos scientist to make stuff work 👍

·
Registered
4 Posts
I’m not sure what engine and tranny it has and idk if the seller would know. Car doesn’t have the 2.3 decal on the side but that don’t mean anything. I am aware of tranny fluid and filter changes. Sounds like people have dealt with the sudden tranny failure. I do have a code reader just in case, nothing fancy but it works. Was just leary of shelling out 2500 for a possible lemon. Granted any used car can be that way. Just wanted to get some opinions on whether the 08 is worth the gamble.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Any sales dealer or person can give you the VIN number previous to purchase...
(If they won't, RUN away ASAP ! )

With VIN you CAN locate any and all info of the vehicle, even color code.

Try that !

Try researching TRANNY problems for the GEN 2's here and other forums, info is always good 👍.

41 - 60 of 63 Posts