Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I posted this in the v6 forum's "How many miles on your v6" thread, but I'm interested to know if there are any other high mileage 1st-Gen 6's with the original engine. Post your mileage if you have 200,000+ and which engine you have. :)

One other person hit 315,000 miles in that thread before their v6 engine died on them and I thought I saw a post from someone that was going to hit 300,000 before me but I haven't seen them post back here since.

Scott

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I can imagine you have replaced many plugs, gaskets and seals along the way. I'm at 180k on my 04 6s with 5 speed manual and I've replaced plugs 4 times, just changed 4 of original ign coils(other 2 replaced 90k ago), valve cover gaskets, upstream O2 sensors, upper int gaskets, and all fluids many times...everything else I think is original on this motor. Owned since [email protected] 60k miles.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I've pushed spark plug replacements so I'm actually only on my 3rd set which will probably last the rest of the car's life. The second set were the Bosch Platinum+4 and did great. Current set are the Bosch Platinum IrFusion (also a +4 design).

Still on the original coils as no signs of missing. My wife has a 2005 Ford Thunderbird and she's had 4 replaced so far under warranty. Ford extended the coverage to 100,000 miles as they were apparently having issues with them. When one was starting to fail and you got an occasional miss, it was obvious even with the V8 so just can't bring myself to spend the money if they are working fine.

I should replace the valve cover gaskets as there was a very very slight amount of oil in a couple of spark plug wells when I replaced the spark plugs. I also occasionally smell some oil on the exhaust but it's not showing up on my garage floor yet.

Here's my list of repairs on the drive train.

• Starter - ~95,000 (covered under extended warranty)
  • Spark plugs - 124,352
  • Clutch - 134,897
  • Water pump - 162,486
  • Rear engine mount (dogbone) and sway bar links - 170,520
  • Intake accordion hose - 196,508
  • Rear pre-cat (P0421) - 220,060
  • Passenger side transmission seal - 222,168
  • Spark plugs and intake plenum gaskets - 259,832
  • Front pre-cat (P0420) - 275,378
  • Driver's side wheel bearing and endlinks - 298,177
I can't find the receipts for them but I know I replaced the driver's side and passenger's side CV boots as well. Otherwise, oil changes (10,000 OCI with Mobile1 EP), air filters and PCV valves.

I've been reasonably happy with the car. I think I actually had fewer repairs on my 1987 626GT which had 350,000 miles on it when we stopped driving it. Engine was still running well but the interior was getting pretty worn and the clear-coat was peeling. I replaced it with my 6s. :)

I'd love to have it last for another 2 years but who knows once you get to this mileage.

Scott

·
Registered
186 Posts
Wow, how do you drive so few miles? :)

Scott
My dad bought the car to commute back and fourth to Ottawa right before being promoted to business server management (can work from anywhere including our basement) so the car wasn't used for daily commuting and thus had very few kilometers when he gave it to me a little while ago. Now it's used for commuting to and from university 5 times a week but other than that is never driven since I'm constantly bogged down with labs ect so I never have time to drive it for fun so essentially it only gets 10k kms per year on it even now.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I can imagine you have replaced many plugs, gaskets and seals along the way. I'm at 180k on my 04 6s with 5 speed manual and I've replaced plugs 4 times, just changed 4 of original ign coils(other 2 replaced 90k ago), valve cover gaskets, upstream O2 sensors, upper int gaskets, and all fluids many times...everything else I think is original on this motor. Owned since [email protected] 60k miles.

So e4w, looks like it's just you and me. :)

You must have a pretty good commute as well with 120K in 7-8 years.

Scott

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
So e4w, looks like it's just you and me. :)

You must have a pretty good commute as well with 120K in 7-8 years.

Scott
I actually have a short commute; 45 miles total daily, but my wife and I are always out and about on the weekends+ we did a couple trips from GA to LA.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just hit 205k miles

Got the Mazda 6i (4cyl-2.3l) new in August 2003.

Here is my upkeep list

1. Synthetic oil since day 1 every 4k miles (spark plugs very 30k bosh 4 contacts, and pads+rotors 4 times at this point)
2. oil breather hose (stupid big deal: under the intake ... expensive labor for $0.50c of hose) issue fixed at 100k miles
3. New Serpentine belt tensioner at 120k
4. top (right) engine mount at 120k
5. New AC compressor at 135k miles (we live in Texas)
6. New Lower control arms at 135k

(The 150k tragedies:)
7. New starter at about 150k miles
8. New left cv joint 150k miles
9. New (used with 90kmiles) AT transmission due to human error (the idiot replacing the cv joint cracked AT's aluminum case) at 150k miles

10. New left front wheel bearing at 190k miles
11. New radiator at 195k miles
12. new fuse box at 200k miles (car not starting/not cranking)

13. Key less remotes first died at 120k, second at 180k, unable to program a new one in, old remote both reporting good at store's tester... (is it is the receiver why they died one by one?)

14. Since 150k miles oil loss of 1/2 of quart every 4k miles

The vehicle dives and feels (after cleaning) as new. (I am very surprised about this)
This is the base model, purchased and used as a commuter.

At 130k I upgraded to 16" alloy wheels same tires and the ride improved (is not looks only is a technical improvement!) less un-sprung weight is apparent to the ride quality.

Fuel consumption for my commute was when new 390 miles per tank, later it became stable at 375 miles per tank, I do not know if it is due to my driving style changes, if there are more cars in the same mixed route, different tires, or my Mazda is showing it age... this data is raw based on gas station numbers, and is very consistent observed every week through the 11 years of ownership.

The tires could be a factor since I never like the "eco" tires from factory and never purchased that type again.

The last 4 years I got through few sets of sports tires, a blessing for the rain and sticky on the dry, but they do not last too long.

Perhaps it will last to 300k :)

This week I'll replace fun things, like speakers, add the aux mod and perhaps a mild (music not BOOM subwoofer), may be a third party key less receiver/remotes.

DD

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Glad to see someone else post with a high mileage 6! I've heard good things about the reliability of the 4-cylinder engine.

I'm not sure about the 4-cylinder but the factory schedule for the single-tip platinum plugs in the 6-cylinder is 75,000 miles so I'm pretty sure you could go at least that far if not 100,000 with the +4's. I've not seen any issues with going longer myself on either daily driving performance or gas mileage. Of course it's much easier to change the spark plugs on the 4-cylinder! :)

I've got all my gas records since new (Auto Maintenance Pro) and my gas mileage is the same now as it was new which averages around 25mpg. It can vary from 24.xx to 26.xx depending on the whether the weekend is part of that tank (my daily commute is 100miles round-trip M-F).

Hopefully the transmission was replaced for free?

Regarding tires, given my mileage, I've gone with tires with better tire wear and wet weather performance. After the original Michelins, I had been using Yokohama's but this last time I switched to Kuhmo Ecsta PA31 as cheaper and to see if they have any better performance in light snow.

Scott

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just hit 205k miles

Got the Mazda 6i (4cyl-2.3l) new in August 2003.

Here is my upkeep list

1. Synthetic oil since day 1 every 4k miles
2. oil breather hose (stupid big deal: under the intake ... expensive labor for $0.50c of hose) issue fixed at 100k miles
3. New Serpentine belt tensioner at 120k
4. top (right) engine mount at 120k
5. New AC compressor at 135k miles (we live in Texas)
6. New Lower control arms at 135k

The 150k tragedies
7. New starter at about 150k miles
8. New left cv joint 150k miles
9. New (used with 90kmiles) AT transmission due to human error (the idiot replacing the cv joint cracked AT's aluminum case) at 150k miles
10. New left front wheel bearing at 190k miles
11. New radiator at 195k miles
12. new fuse box at 200k miles (car not starting/not cranking)

13. Key less remotes first died at 120k, second at 180k, unable to program a new one in, old remote both reporting good at store's tester... (if it is the receiver why they died one by one?)

14. Since 150k miles oil loss of 1/2 of quart every 4k miles

(plus spark plugs very 30k bosh 4 contacts, and pads+rotors 4 times at this point)

The vehicle drives and feels (after cleaning) as new. (I am very surprised about this)

This is the base model, purchased and used as a commuter.

Fuel consumption for my commute was when new 390 miles per tank, after the first 2 years, 375 miles per tank, I do not know if the increase is due to changes on my driving style, or because there are more cars in the same route, different tires, or my Mazda is showing its age... this data is raw based on gas station numbers, but is very consistent and observed every week through the 11 years of ownership.

The tires could be a factor since I never like the "eco" tires from factory and never purchased that type again.

The last 4 years I got through few sets of sports' tires, that are good in the rain and sticky on the dry, but they do not last too long.

Perhaps my Mazda will last to 300k :)

This week I'll replace fun things, like speakers, add the aux mod and perhaps a mild (music not BOOM subwoofer), may be a third party key less receiver/remotes.

DD

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi Scott,

The shop help with the cost of the new transmission, but I pay the difference for a lower millage and longer full parts and labor warranty.

My Mazda is running great, I do have one issue with rear gasoline vapor sensor, but nothing to pay attention to. Due to this sensor the check engine light turns on when gas level is 3/4 and shuts off when gas level 1/2 then on again when is below 1/2... this is going on for sometime, perhaps is part of the character of my Mazda 6i.

The engine is smooth and still very powerful and can rev high with easy.

The fuel economy is close to 24 mpg in mixed freeway-city driving.

I am looking forward for the next 50k miles.

David

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'm glad to see this. I just bought an 04 v6 with 121k. Using it commute to collage soon. It's was a 1 owner. Super quite. I can't hardly tell it's running. Last guy took pretty good care of it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Been a lurker here for a while, but thought I'd share mine:

I bought my 2004 6 S 5-speed in November of 2014. Had 139,000 miles on it and now I'm at 154,000. That number is nothing to be impressed by, but with as much driving as I do, I'll be hitting 200k in no time. This car still feels as tight as a drum and I'm very impressed by that. Done normal maintenance so far:

PCV Valve and hose
Plugs
Valve cover gaskets
Front and rear motor mounts
MAF
Lower Front Control Arms

Mods:
EGR Reroute (hopefully to save the motor in the event the cats go)
Door guard delete
Shark Fin
Bluetooth

Things that are coming up:
Starter is asking to be replaced
Coolant line "T's" are just waiting to leave me stranded

So far, I'm very happy with my first Mazda. It's been about as much maintenance and research as my old BMW, but significantly cheaper.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Just crossed 200k

Hi Scott,
I just recently crossed 200k. When looking at your list of repairs it is very similar to mine. How is the car driving right now? I am very much okay with keeping my car and if you can give me confidence to go with it till 300 k I would love that as well!

·
Registered
307 Posts
Are you planning on scrapping the car at this point or dropping in a rebuilt drivetrain and continuing driving it? That's a nice long time you had this car - it looks like it treated you well. I wonder if Miss 6 ever got over 350k on hers?

1 - 20 of 63 Posts