Mazda 6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all ,
new to the forum and wanted to say its a great community.

I did (partially) the airbox mod for my speed. I did not remove the resonator yet below the box. With just the tray and tuba out, I have noticed a bit of a sound difference, but not much. Will removing the resonator be drastically different ?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Yes.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Take out the screws in the fender-well, turn your wheels to the right, peel it open. There should be 3 bolts holding it to the frame. Only two need to come out; the third is open and will slide right off. It's a bit of a PITA, but worth it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
it's not a pain in the ass if you do it a little differently...

all you have to do to make this a VERY easy process is remove the driver side fog light. it comes out very easily after the fender liner is out, and once it is hanging down, you have direct access to the formerly impossible to deal with bolts. cheers!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Removing the resonator will definitely be a noticable difference in sound. You can hear the turbo/BOV even with the windows up. I actually just reinstalled mine last night, found it much easier just to jack the car up and remove the wheel. Remove the 3-4 screws under the plastic panel as well as the 3-4 screw/clips in the front of the wheel well and you can fold the entire plastic panel out of the way. The resonator is held in place by 3 nuts (14mm?). The one at the rear is easy to get to, the front two are a little harder. You'll need a deep well socket or a short extension to get the front ones, but by having the car jacked up and the panel removed from underneath you can just slide under the car and reach up to them.

For what it's worth, you should be cautious when driving in heavy rain with the resonator removed. I found that my MS6 was taking in enough water to saturate the filter when I had the resonator removed, which is why I put the resonator back on last night. You can see my thread about it here:

http://forum.mazda6club.com/index.php?showtopic=61431

·
Registered
113 Posts
Take out the screws in the fender-well, turn your wheels to the right, peel it open. There should be 3 bolts holding it to the frame. Only two need to come out; the third is open and will slide right off. It's a bit of a PITA, but worth it.
[/b]
Just curious, how did you slide it off? All 3 of mine were slit/open, but they have a rubber bushing with a metal sleeve inside that prevented me from sliding it out. I actually had to remove all thre bolts. Just curious if mine was a little different. Also, as for sound, I honesty didn't notice anything with it removed. The hardest part I had encountered when removing the resonator was trying to get it out of the car, it took quite a bit of manuevering to get it to come out.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Just curious, how did you slide it off? All 3 of mine were slit/open, but they have a rubber bushing with a metal sleeve inside that prevented me from sliding it out. I actually had to remove all thre bolts. Just curious if mine was a little different. Also, as for sound, I honesty didn't notice anything with it removed. The hardest part I had encountered when removing the resonator was trying to get it out of the car, it took quite a bit of manuevering to get it to come out.
[/b]
When I did it (a looooong time ago), I remember just taking two bolts out and getting pissed off at the third and yanking the thing out of there. I thought I was going to break it (tried to actually), but it slid out from behind the bolt.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Where ARE the jack points on the MS6 anyways?

·
Registered
1,427 Posts
not to revive a dead thread, but i removed the resonator this morning. at first i didnt remove the inner "plate" thing on the inside of the air box. i heard zero difference when i drove it, so i came home and removed the plate. drove it again i could hear the turbo a bit more, but not alot.

my question is. will removing the snorkel tube make you hear the turbo and bov more? or will it not make a difference?

·
Registered
113 Posts
bump

·
Registered
679 Posts
On a side note....what is Sirus?

I just installed the MS intake today and it has a loud woosh. I drove 70 miles with my wife in the car and she never noticed so it wasn't too loud I guess.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Sirius! Got it. Wrong spelling.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Satellite radio..... :drive: :)
[/b]
Sirius came with my car, but its not activated. Is there like a free month or something? Or do you have to pay right off the bat?

·
Registered
261 Posts
Sirus came with my car, but its not activated. Is there like a free month or something? Or do you have to pay right off the bat?
[/b]
ah, and the continued mis-spelling of Sirius, notice the "i"

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
When I did it (a looooong time ago), I remember just taking two bolts out and getting pissed off at the third and yanking the thing out of there. I thought I was going to break it (tried to actually), but it slid out from behind the bolt.
[/b]
That sounds exactly like my experience!!!!!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts