Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everybody

Just a word of complaint from me. How come my Xenons aren't very 'white'?! Every other 6 i see on the road have really really nice HIDs, but mine dont seem to look as good! My HIDs look so 'yellow', while all the other have the 'white', 'sharp blue' colour. Are there things i should be aware of with HIDs? Does anybody know the colour tempterature of the stock HIDs? How long does it take for the lights to 'warm up'? From what position do the lights look best?

What i usually do is park the car on the driveway, and shine the lights into the garage and i look from inside there. They look bloody yellow, is really fustrating! Help me!

·
Registered
157 Posts
Replying to Topic 'The 6's HIDs'

I think they take a little while to heat up, I notice when i take the car out at night they are yellow then when i come home they give a white light. But then Ive seen BMWs and they have a blue/white effect that twinkles.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Reading Topic: The 6's HIDs

ye exacty Activematic. I've asked a few people aobut HIDs in general, and they tell me it only takes about 10-20 seconds for the HIDs to fully heat up and give off the colour they're meant to give.

·
Registered
156 Posts

I would get them checked out at your Mazda dealer, mine are very white and look awesome.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

ye, i compared the 6's with my other car's, and i dont think there is a great difference between the two, its scary! The 6, however, does have a 'sharper' light's edge, whereas the standard halogen progressively fades out. Maybe theres a difference....

anymore tips anybody?

·
Registered
131 Posts

mine is obviously yellow .. no matter how long I turn them on, and I don't think the integrated fog lights help much... i've tried it on one foggy morning.. it's too weak. Not sure with the sport version.

·
Registered
29 Posts

HI guys, just thought i might help out with this subject, I've worked with Xenon bulbs for over five years. All mazda 6's in Aust have a standard halogen globe. Halogen globes can some times look yellow, the M6 is not made to house a true Xenon bulb however you can buy globes filled with a Xenon gass that will give you a pure bright white light with a slight blue tint. Premium Xenon globs can cost around $30-40 dollars each but do look alot nicer then the standaed Halogen globe. Hope this helps.:D

·
Registered
922 Posts

Originally posted by Steven

HI guys, just thought i might help out with this subject, I've worked with Xenon bulbs for over five years. All mazda 6's in Aust have a standard halogen globe. Halogen globes  can some times look yellow, the M6 is not made to house a true Xenon bulb however you can buy globes filled with a Xenon gass that will give you a pure bright white light with a slight blue tint. Premium Xenon globs can cost around $30-40 dollars each but do look alot nicer then the standaed Halogen globe. Hope this helps.:D[/b]
Well that explains it:D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

are you saying the 'xenon' lights on the luxury and sport models are in actual fact 'halogen xenons'?! I'm sure the classic model dont come with a 'xenon' light, but i'm fairly sure luxury and sport ones do.

I've attached a pic of my 6's headlight. (http://www.members.optushome.com.au/kcchu/closefront.jpg)
From what i've been told, the outside (left) light is the xenon, the middle light is empty due to Australian Regulations, and the inside (right) light is the high beam. I'm just doing this to clarify exactly which light we're talking about. From my knowledge outside = xenon, inside = hibeam = halogen. Correct?

By the way, where i can buy these xenon globes?

·
Registered
157 Posts

The limited and classic versions have the Xenon light as u can see with my car. The limited doesn't have the integrated foglight in the 2nd light housing.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Hi your hi beams and low beams are the same bulbs both H1's. what sucks is that the overseas models came with Xenon globes we got helagen globes, go out and buy some Xenon bulbs by osram about $40 each but thay will give you a nice white light:) from;Steven. Hum's bro.

·
Registered
922 Posts

Well considering I've ordered the Classic model with full body kit and fog lights, my headlights will still contain the inbuilt foglight, wonder if it will work though.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

ok, i've taken two pics of the 6's 'xenons'. THis is interesting actually, cos one pic the xenons look super yellow, whereas the 2nd pic i took the lights actually look 'white'. I know the camera angle can play a part, but do these photos say anything about the lights?

'Yellow' HID:
http://www.members.optushome.com.au/kcchu/HID.jpg

'Whiter' HID:
http://www.members.optushome.com.au/kcchu/DSCN3469.JPG

sorry i cant directly post them onto this forum, but theres always an error when i do so!

I hope this problem can be solved soon! I really do!

·
Registered
31 Posts

I am sure that our headlights in Australia (both Classic, Luxury, Sports etc) are not Xenon headlights. They are standard halogen types. That is why you get the 'yellow' colour effect. There is no such thing as "halogen xenons", they are infact one or the other. So our low beam (outside) lights are infact just halogen lights.

In order to get the bright twinkling 'white' and 'blue' lights, you must install the proper xenon headlights. You can use the xenon conversion kit with a different wattage (eg HID kit from Liteswap); or with a less (and inferior) effect, as suggested by Steven in the previous post, you can use premiun light globes filled with Xenon gas.

·
Registered
156 Posts

Hey Ozzie, when I picked up my classic 6 with fogs in the bumper, they disconnected the fogs in the headlight assembly. Its illegal to have both hooked up, thats why mazda had to disconnect for delivery. However if you want to connect them up again thats your choice.

·
Registered
837 Posts
Reading Topic: Replying to Topic 'The 6's HIDs'

Hi Hum or Ozzie,

Can you find out how to connect both fog lights to work? I am in Canada and all car comes with the built in fog lights in the main headlight housing. However, I picked up a set of fog lights for the sport bumper because I can't stand those two black holes without something to fill it up.

Anyway, I think the instruction would tell me to have only the fog lights in the bumper only when I install it. However, I would like to know how I can enable both. To my knowledge, I don't think there is such regulation as having two different fog lights.

TIA

·
Registered
922 Posts

Originally posted by Hum

Hey Ozzie, when I picked up my classic 6 with fogs in the bumper, they disconnected the fogs in the headlight assembly.  Its illegal to have both hooked up, thats why mazda had to disconnect for delivery.  However if you want to connect them up again thats your choice.[/b]
Oh ok hum, that answers my question ;)

Hieppo i have no idea sorry, i havent even picked up my car yet! Maybe hum will know:D

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

i dont wnat to sound skeptical about the comments made here. But practically every other sport or luxury 6 i've seen at night has the white/blue effect coming from their 'xenon' light. I'm so sure, cos i was at the Chadstone(Waverley) Rd and Warrigal rd intesection next to a luxury model, and its lights had the ideal xenon effect. I dont think the owner changed the lights, as it was some late-aged lady owner!

·
Registered
156 Posts

Originally posted by hieppo

Hi Hum or Ozzie,

Can you find out how to connect both fog lights to work?  I am in Canada and all car comes with the built in fog lights in the main headlight housing.  However, I picked up a set of fog lights for the sport bumper because I can't stand those two black holes without something to fill it up.

Anyway, I think the instruction would tell me to have only the fog lights in the bumper only when I install it.  However, I would like to know how I can enable both.  To my knowledge, I don't think there is such regulation as having two different fog lights.

TIA[/b]

It can be done, I have been told by an auto electrician that you can use a seperate switch for each set of fogs, or connect them to the same switch so they both come on together. I for one would prefer the seperate switch. How to do it, I dont know, thats a auto electrician job.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts