Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having my 6i for 3 months, I took it on a 2.5 hour road trip this week.
The car handled well enough, and the 4cyl was peppy enough for passing on the highway, but my passanger said it felt and sounded like his door was about to fly off once we got over 120kph.
On top of that, I was cruising the whole way back at 125kph and got worse mileage than I do in the city.
In my old Grand Am, I'd have to cruise around 160kph to damage my gas mileage that badly.

Anyone else experienced similar highway symptoms ?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
no. i've had 3 M6s, all great road warriors.

·
Registered
4,524 Posts
The car handled well enough, and the 4cyl was peppy enough for passing on the highway, but my passanger said it felt and sounded like his door was about to fly off once we got over 120kph.
On top of that, I was cruising the whole way back at 125kph and got worse mileage than I do in the city.
In my old Grand Am, I'd have to cruise around 160kph to damage my gas mileage that badly.

[/b]
I had that problem when the weather was hot....Is your 6 used to road trips?

·
Registered
898 Posts
Though I wouldn't go so far as to say the car feels like it's about to fall apart, it does feel a bit short on refinement on long trips (note that I'm speaking of a 2005.)
I've taken my car on several road trips, the last of which was to Riyadh and Dammam and back (a 3,500 km round trip) and did witness reduced gas mileage, but mind you, I was cruising at 180 km/h! I only got about 300-350 kms on a full tank, while in normal daily driving I often hit 500 kms on a 60-liter fill. I tried cruising at 120 km/h and a tank got me beyond 500 kms. My only complaint in long trips is the noise, the best cure of which would be ACDC or Gregorian rock playing really loud! :D

·
Registered
898 Posts
Mine does run smooth. It's just the rukus from the tires and sometimes the engine. I often get the feeling a window is down when all of them are up!

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
I have a '05 6i and it is very smooth at 80 plus mph but it was never great on gas.
Maybe the roads where you are are worst than roads here but this car [my car anyway] feels very good on long trips.

I've never felt like the car was going to come apart even on bad roads....

I don't know but I've driven cars in a class above the 6 and I think the 6 is well made.
Maybe I got lucky and got a good one.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I have driven the 1400 mile drive to TX and back with no complaints. I have an 05 6s. They arent the quietest cars, but turn the stereo up a little and enjoy the ride. By far the best of the vehicles I have made the trip in, whisch is an 02 Sentra, 04 Stratus, and 87 Blazer.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
I have an 05 6i and even with Mazdaspeed springs and 18's, it's a nice highway ride. It's not luxury quiet but it's not econo loud either. I think it's been one of my better highway cars in terms of road noise/ride harshness.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The first month I got my car we went on a roadtrip and i went 70-80 the whole time and i got the best mileage ever. Normally in the city i can get 200-250 miles per tank but i got about 350 miles on the roadtrip and very little city driving.

·
Registered
344 Posts
The 6 to me is the perfect highway car. It runs so smoothly and it feels so secure at speeds above 80 MPH (it actually became my average speed because 80 actually feels slow in this car; I would never drive like this in any other car I've driven). The car is also geared higher so downshifting is not necessary for passing (I've hit 100+ rather easily in fifth gear from 70 when some guy in a fully loaded-up van was being an asshole). The suspension on this car feels very excellent to me, although it's not meant to be set up like a water mattress or something (SPORT suspension). My gas mileage is often fantastic. I've only had about two or three fuel fill-ups that were disappointing (to me, these were numbers anywhere from 350 to 400 miles with mixed city/highway driving). I'm confident that, on an extensive road trip (which I have yet to take), I can easily exceed 450+ miles to the tank. I'm being optimistic here, but I think it'll be no problem.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Mine felt fine when it was stock... the 18s have cheap tires on them which I think hurt ride quality and caused some high speed vibrations. and.. I never was real impressed wi the fuel mileage on the 6. Its not bad... but not great either.

As far as the way it feels at high speeds, it doesnt feel bad... but Im usualy in a TT 95Supra when Im at anything better than 60. So- the Mazda does feel a little off compared to it.

·
Registered
6,960 Posts
last week i drove down to west palm beach and back. down there i maintained an average of 75mph, on the way back, about 85mph. btw, doing anything less on the turnpike is dangerous, but i didn't want to go much faster. i noticed my gas mileage was dropping off sharply, which i expected. 70-75mph will net about 450 miles before the light comes on and 85 on up will be less than 350 miles to the same.

although it all depends on how many times you downshift and gun it, if you have the a/c on (i had the heat on to clear the windows coming back) etc etc

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I usually get 700kms to the tank in the city, and I barely made 500kms on the highway. My last car got 400kms city and 650 highway.

I bought this car for 2 things. Summer bike trips, and city driving. I guess I should have done more research, I had thought highway driving = better mileage like all my other cars before it :s

·
Registered
5,328 Posts
Sorry about your 6, but I have to agree with most of the members here. I've driven from here (East coast to West coast) to WA about 3000+ miles and back a few weeks later. No problems and a smooth ride.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The car is a 4cyl and you're expecting great mileage at above 110kmh? It doesn't happen, it has to rev far too high due to gearing and lack of power. A 6/8cyl will have a much easier time going down the highway than a 4cyl. Drive about 90kmh if you're concerned about your gas mileage.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts

[/b]
I've been on several road trips in my 6i-MTX, including a cross-Canada ON-to-BC trip this past summer. This car was the most comfortable car I've ever had the pleasure of spending 58 consecutive hours in.

The car handled strongly and well the whole way. No complaints whatsoever... especially from my two rear-seat passengers (kids aged 3 and 5).

Gas mileage wise, I do about 550 kms on a tank in the city and much much more on pure highway.

Avg hwy speeds are 110 to 120 km/h

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My buddy's Focus ZX5 with the same 2.3L got better mileage than my 6i doing the same trip and roughly the same speeds.
I guess the 6i is that much heavier.

I don't expect amazing mileage, but I DO expect BETTER mileage on the highway than in the city.
I've owned 2 4cyls, a 6cyl, and a V8 f150, and highway was always > the city.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My buddy's Focus ZX5 with the same 2.3L got better mileage than my 6i doing the same trip and roughly the same speeds.
I guess the 6i is that much heavier.

I don't expect amazing mileage, but I DO expect BETTER mileage on the highway than in the city.
I've owned 2 4cyls, a 6cyl, and a V8 f150, and highway was always > the city.
[/b]
Its a matter of the speed you're driving on the highway. When they measure the mileage, I believe they measure around 90-100kmh, not 130.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Wind resistance on the car goes up by the square of the increase in speed. Keep it to below 100kph and watch your mileage soar.

I drive 2 hour trips all the time. No problem with feel. It's not a BMW, but it's far better than the wife's Subaru Outback. Mine is a 6i with a manual and driving 60-65 average, I get between 37 and 39mpg. If I gotta get home and go 70-75, it drops to 33. I've never, ever seen below 30 with any type of driving.

jack

1 - 20 of 30 Posts