Mazda 6 Forums banner

The 6 is in Charlotte!!!

2K views 28 replies 9 participants last post by  Steve 6er 
#1 ·
I went by one of the Mazda dealers here and sure enough, there was a 6 in the showroom. One other dealer told me that I had to wait until the auto show next week to see one, but apparently, the dealer I went to yeasterday just got it in. They only had one, but were expecting about 15 to come in on Tuesday.

I can't get one yet (financial stuff); but I am definitely thinking about just picking up the sedan w/ sports pkg.

Also, I saw that an MP3 player is a delaer-installed option, I didn't know that!

#3 ·
Replying to Topic 'The 6 is in Charlotte!!!'

Yeah! While a salesman went to go get a Mazda6 book for me, they had a small brochure that had all the Mazda6 accessories available. They had a pic of the interior console with the CD, Cassette, and MP3 players all one under another, in that order. Other stuff was in there that we already know about, like the body-colored grille, the bigger wing-type spoiler, and the smaller decklid-type spoiler.

Also, the 'M' emblem on the front is HUGE!!!

#6 ·

Man, I'm happy for you that you got a 6 already. I have some *cough* financial stuff to take care of first--and I may not be able to get my hands on one until the summer. Looking at the bright side, the hatch should be available by then as well as all the options, so then I'll be able to make a really good decision (plus the MPS could be available soon after that).

I don't know what the dealerships problems are here in the city. I visited both dealerships (Harrelson and Montgomery Mazda) and I think I may get the car online. The salespeople that I've worked with just don't seem too motivated. Actually, one guy at Harrelson was pretty good, but the rest couldn't quite answer my questions when I asked then--like is the sports grille available, etc.

However, the headlights, though they aren't xenon, look awful close.

#8 ·

Originally posted by DennyA

Originally posted by UNCCMANThey had a pic of the interior console with the CD, Cassette, and MP3 players all one under another, in that order.[/b]
What did the MP3 player look like? Did it use CDs, memory cards, etc?
[/b][/quote]

Memory cards???

If you really need to play MP3's in your Mazda6 why not put a minidisc player in it like I did? I have about 120 MP3's now on 3 MD's... And that's almoust all I need as music. Easy to modify them later on. :)

#9 ·

Originally posted by DennyA

Originally posted by UNCCMANThey had a pic of the interior console with the CD, Cassette, and MP3 players all one under another, in that order.[/b]
What did the MP3 player look like? Did it use CDs, memory cards, etc?
[/b][/quote]

First off, let me correct my statement--all of those options weren't in the console. Maybe I saw them that way in the picture. They're all available along with MiniDisc, but all those components werent there.

Anyhow--from the pic I saw, I think the MP3 player is in the same space as the CD player. If someone has better info, I welcome the corrections. Also, either the cassette player or MiniDisc player can go in the second slot underneath.

#10 ·

Originally posted by UNCCMAN

Anyhow--from the pic I saw, I think the MP3 player is in the same space as the CD player.  If someone has better info, I welcome the corrections.  Also, either the cassette player or MiniDisc player can go in the second slot underneath.[/b]
You're right. Plus, MP3 player uses CD-s for media and plays regular audio CD-s as well, so it is, IMO the best solution available. What speaks agains minidisk is cost of the media as well as players/recorders themselves. At least in my country CD-s are prevalent media for digital info. Blank CD-R costs 3-4 times less than MD and CD-recorders are very widely used, not to mention CD-players.

#13 ·

Originally posted by Sigvard

What speaks agains minidisk is cost of the media as well as players/recorders themselves. At least in my country CD-s are prevalent media for digital info. Blank CD-R costs 3-4 times less than MD and CD-recorders are very widely used, not to mention CD-players.[/b]
RW CD's cost about 1.50 eur/disc here. And minidiscs cost around 2 eur/disc.
Normal CDR's are around 0.8 eur/disc, BUT those you can burn only once, and I don't like that. But even so, the difference isn't more than like 2x or so if you look the price of the media.

And since you will have 6CD changer with MD, what else do you need?

I have a MD recorder at home ofcourse, for recording MP3's in MD's... But even if it costs many times more than a burning CD-ROM in a PC, it is so much more handy as media. The size, re-burnable, no fear of scratching etc. That I am willing to pay about 300 eur for a Minidisc recorder... And besides that recoreder takes so little room in your pocket, and you can carry it anywhere after all it is a WALKMAN... You can't do that with your PC's CD-ROM... And if you think how much would a BURNABLE CD WALKMAN COST (IF there is even any???); I think this makes it in the end affordable and very handy solution.

#15 ·

This question may be odd--

but does anyone know of any software that can be used to transfer audio cassette info (music, teachings, books, etc.) onto MiniDisc. If there's a way, I may just get the MiniDisc option.

#16 ·

No, not software. You need a hardware decoder.

Go buy a Soundblaster Audigy card. (www.soundblaster.com). I have one of those, and it comes with a special software to push music onto Minidiscs. (But you need a MD player to hook to the computer also. It can be done with fibre optics if your player allows that, so you get great quality).

This hard/software can also rip mp3:s out of your CDs if you wish. And fast too! (Plus you get extraordinary sound for your computer).

I can recommend it.

#19 ·

But I can fit about 150 to 200 songs on a single MP3 disc. With 10 hours of music, form factor isn't that big a deal. One disc in the player and another in the glove compartment gives 20 hours of music. That's equal to about 15 minidiscs in standard playback mode.

Plus I can burn at 48X speed with my cheap CD writer. Compared to 16X for LP2 audio on a NetMD recorder (I don't consider LP4 audio an option); or a mere 1.6x for full-quality minidisc.

And in the USA, CD-R discs are essentially free if you don't mind filling out rebate forms and waiting a couple of months to get your money back. At least one week a month, Best Buy or another retailer will offer a 50-pack of CD-R discks for somewhere between $0 to $2 after rebate.

And no dealing with Sony's "checkin/checkout" and ATRAC3 conversion copy-protection nonsense.

That's why I want an MP3 CD player. Have on in my Miata now and it's great.

#20 ·

Originally posted by Steve 6er
Go buy a Soundblaster Audigy card. (www.soundblaster.com). I have one of those, and it comes with a special software to push music onto Minidiscs.[/b]
Steve's right, but spend the extra $30 on the Audigy 2. Much clearer sound, fewer driver problems, and it supports the new DVD Audio discs that sound amazing.

#21 ·

Actaully, save the 30 bucks. The sound is the same (sorry but it is, noone can hear the difference, I promise).

And in fact, it has less driver issues now that the card has been around for a year. Trust me on this, I'm at the Soundblaster forum a lot too... :D

But be4 you decide, check out the comparison chart they have at soundblaster.com.

#22 ·

Originally posted by Steve 6erActaully, save the 30 bucks. The sound is the same (sorry but it is, noone can hear the difference, I promise).[/b]
You can hear the difference when you go to play one of the new DVD Audio discs on your Klipsch 5.1 system.

On the Audigy 2, you hear amazingly clear sound.

On the Audigy, you hear nothing as your PC displays a directory of files it doesn't know how to deal with. :)

#24 ·

That's annoying! They want performance craze in EVERYTHING these days. Now they ar beginning to pop out new SOUND CARDS every other month... I have a Live! Value from 1997 and I can't find one single reason why I should by a Audigy, unless it'd brake.

Exept for one thing ... No rule without an exeption :D
What I DO want is the Live!Drive with remote! Have a remote to my TV-card (which I can have installed due to IRQ trouble). Anyway I have one but that's a silly COM-thingy! Very convinient to have it built in! THough the Pinnacle remot can be #haxx0rd in a INI-file to assign whatever you want to any of the buttons. Just that the buttns are number like 043 and so on... But they are random numbered and it's a real pain to guess numbers :D

Can you program the Creative remote? Or is it directly connected to the Audio HQ with no settings available?

To bad my freakin card is the only one in the Live! series without a Drive! Connector! :D

#25 ·

How about for MUCH better sound? Or for better game support, better MIDI abilities, EAX Advanced? No? Well, then.

The remote is programmable, down to the button if you wish. But that requires a freeware available on the internet.

Anyway, the Live! is a fine card, but it can't provide what this thread is all about.:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.