Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got 550 city miles on the new ride. I've been itching to get into this car. Red light, 1st gear, light launch (3-3.5k), and as soon as I got some speed I put my foot in her. First gear was almost non existent, but second gear felt awesome. I didn't do any power shifts meaning it wasn't to the floor when I let the clutch out. At the next light all I smelt was clutch! How could this be? I didn't even launch the thing! Anyone think I got a defective clutch?

I'm sad to say that I think I'll wait another couple hundred miles before I do that again. On a side note, what gave me this crazed idea was the service guys/managers at Langs Mazda. I was talking to them about the CAI and Cat-Back and they all wanted to know one thing.... Hows the power.... Upon telling them I hadn't gotten on it yet I was told to start to. Foot to the floor, don't worry about the clutch, and if anything breaks they'll fix it. One of them said something about breaking it in by getting harder and harder on the engine over the first 500 miles. At 500 miles he said you should be damn near close to running it wide open whenever you want.

For you techies out there they mentioned that the piston rings would set at the bottom of the channel (apparently where you want it?) if you break the engine in like they said too? I got nothing on that statement.

·
Registered
440 Posts
As was said...I don't think you were smelling clutch, it's all the coatings, paint, gaskets burning in.

I did a few higher speed WOT runs with mine after a few hundred miles and it smelled bad and then it was over for good for the smell.

·
Registered
156 Posts
As was said...I don't think you were smelling clutch, it's all the coatings, paint, gaskets burning in.

I did a few higher speed WOT runs with mine after a few hundred miles and it smelled bad and then it was over for good for the smell.
[/b]
Same here. Just one of those "new car" smells. The smell on mine was gone shortly before 1000 miles.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Registered
440 Posts
Everyone's got a different opinion on how to break-in a motor. There is no "correct" way to do it. But most people into racing and whatnot tend to favor the harder, faster break-in.
[/b]
Most performance aftermarket clutch companies stress a 500 mile easy go break in for maximum friction disc life, it's pretty much common sense.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Most performance aftermarket clutch companies stress a 500 mile easy go break in for maximum friction disc life, it's pretty much common sense.
[/b]
Smell went away in mine after 600. I got the same smell in both the test drives too (separate cars at separate dealers).

The owners manual calls out something similar. So does my S2000's manual. 600 miles: don't stay at one speed for too long :nono: , no jack rabbit starts :nono: , no racing the engine :nono: , etc.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
Everyone's got a different opinion on how to break-in a motor. There is no "correct" way to do it. But most people into racing and whatnot tend to favor the harder, faster break-in.
[/b]
You damn right..... I have broken in lots of motors and always had success with a hard break in...

I picked my car up with 3 miles on it... it saw full boost on the way home :)

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I have always had great success... my cars have always dynoed at or above average... and I never really run into motor issues...

·
Registered
5,217 Posts
[/b]
I made no mention of clutch. I was talking about engine break-in. There's a big difference between a hard, fast break-in of your motor, and stressing your clutch. You can do one without the other. Using the entire rev-range and going wide-open throttle does not necessitate drag launches and power-shifts.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So I took the speed in to the dealer for its 1st oil change (800 miles) and to check out the clutch. The tech said the clutch does catch a little high but it's not a problem. He changed the oil and I gotta tell ya it looked horrible! The oil smelled like ass and it was black black nasty! I didn't expect that after 800 miles, and most people don't change it till 3-5k miles.

Oh, and the oil pressure sending unit leaked oil all over the bottom of the engine and on the insulation on that cover underneath. It's getting replaced tomorrow. Should I ask for a new one of those covers?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts