Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo just to make sure I wasn't going crazy and just hearing normal engine sounds, I thought I would record it. Car seems to run fine but the noise doesn't make me feel any better.

This noise usually happens when the car is at operating temperatures and comes to a stoplight/sign. Putting the car into neutral or park, the sounds stops. Sometimes comes back when put back in reverse or drive. Problem is, it comes and goes. A guy at work this morning said that it might be the AC compressor running, idle tensioner pulley going weird.

The car is at Mazda this morning and under MAP warranty. Lets just hope they figure out where/what it is and don't charge me a $70 diagnostic fee :(

Here is the vid:

·
Registered
798 Posts
First things first:
-check all fluid levels
-swap any old ones and be precise in hitting proper level
-make video with and without AC on
-make video while turning the steering wheel

Compare em all and see what happens. It sounds like a pump like ac or PS going bad but it could also be a bad lifter... Drop a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil into the oil sump, it can clean out quite a bit and will burn off over time.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Brandini @ Feb 12 2010, 12:33 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=1636571
First things first:
-check all fluid levels
-swap any old ones and be precise in hitting proper level
-make video with and without AC on
-make video while turning the steering wheel

Compare em all and see what happens. It sounds like a pump like ac or PS going bad but it could also be a bad lifter... Drop a few ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil into the oil sump, it can clean out quite a bit and will burn off over time.[/b]
I guess I could of just edited the first post.. :p

Car is running will all accessories except lights off. Checked steering pump and it seems fine. All fluids were previously topped off and checked last night after waiting a day for everything to settle. Tried with and without AC and it is/was the same, just there was too much noise for the video when the fan was on (+ac doesn't kick in fully at -10!). I'm thinking something to do with the exhaust manifold flange, idle tensioner or even......... a spun bearing :angry2:

·
Registered
693 Posts
I get the same symptoms on mine. When in drive or reverse at a stop i hear a rattling but when i accelerate it goes away. sometimes does it in park/neutral. Did an oil change and tranny flush and its still there. Im thinking of something rubbing. My noise isnt as prominent as yours but same symptoms.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got a call back from the dealership! Took a while to hear from Mazda for the MAP warranty so it will probably have to wait for Monday.

So far it is................................ Excessive Valve clearance!

I'll update on Monday and maybe do a follow-up vid :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just got to work from the Mazda dealership this morning and no, no after the tech submitted a couple forms the work to fix the valve clearance issue is NOT under map warranty. Apparently it is maintenance requirement. I think I saw this before on a dealerships website, so sucks to be me right now :( ahahha ow well :) I'll pass on the $540+gst bill for now.

Info as posted here:

Additional Operations

- Replace cabin air filter (every 40,000 km or 24 months) if equipped
- Inspect drive belts tension (every 56,000 km)
- Replace air cleaner element (every 56,000 km)
- Inspect exhaust system and heat shields (every 72,000 km or 60 months)
- Audible inspection of valve clearance (every 120,000 km), if noisy, adjust
- Replace spark plugs** (every 120,000 km)
- Replace engine coolant* on Mazda6 (at 168,000 km or 60 months, after that every 48,000 km or 24 months)
- Replace rear differential oil if operated under certain conditions (see owner's manual) or if submerged in water
- Replace transfer case fluid, if submerged in water

So has anyone done the valve adjustment themselves? OR

Is this the Drive Belt Auto Tensioner crapping out?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So here it is......

Brought my 6 over to the dealership on my lunch break yesterday as I had a gut feeling it was not the lifters but maybe that wretching pulley.

BOOOM Mother$%#^! Ya, it was the damn pulley :swearin: I am very happy that I didn't pay $540 for them to make minuscule adjustments to the lifters only to still have the freaking clicking noise. Sorry my rant but this was from a dealership I was starting to trust. To be fair, the front desk guy, service adviser seemed cool enough, just the damn original tech. Grrrrr......

I'll post once more when the job is done Monday and report the results. I think a LOT of people have ran into this noise issue before and have been told otherwise.

Ow and yes, the Auto Belt Tensioner is covered under MAP :)

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In the end the auto belt tensioner and idler pulley were replaced :D The TSB on the auto tensioner pulley was noted too.

No more squeeks and the car seems a little easier to move around (steering pump, general get up and go). So anyone who has a weird rattle that tends to happen once the car warms up and sounds like it is coming by cylinder 1/2, check the pulleys!

Thanks all for help :) Now to figure out my rich a/f's again.......

:dmetal: Rock on.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts