Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We lived in the great state of Texas since moving here from Connecticut in the fall of 1990, so almost 27 years. When it rains here it’s not like a New England rain storm, it’s can be a biblical event. In June of 2001, Tropical storm Allison (I swear named after my daughter!) soaked us with 15” of rain in 2 ½ days. East Houston received over 30” in the same period. The storm was isolated to an arch from the northeast side, downtown to the north side about 25 miles wide and 45 miles long. That was the benchmark. After Allison, Harris County installed an automated rain and bayou/river gauges throughout the county. It’s how we track our rain fall numbers.

https://www.harriscountyfws.org/

So far Hurricane Harvey is dealing a catastrophic biblical type rain event on parts of Texas. Harvey’s rain impacted area maybe 100 times as large as Allison and has already surpassed the amount of rain for us at least that Allison dumped back in 2001. If you track the rain using the web site above, I live less than a mile from the rain gauge at the top center of the map, “1060: J100_1060 Spring Creek @ Kuykendahl Road” 17.36” of rain since late Friday evening with no letup in sight. I don’t know how much more we can take before the inevitable flood waters start creeping into the house. There is an unrelenting training of rain still coming for us. I know some others in the area have already lost all their possessions. I also know that Houston citizens pull together like no other large community I know. So please pray for us all because right now that what we need the most.

Attachments

·
Registered
941 Posts
Good luck, Texas is on our prayer list. It looks like you have 3+ days more of this torrential rain too, what a disaster.

STAY SAFE TEXAS!!!!!

·
Registered
4,220 Posts
Jesus, you guys are in it. We're all pulling for you guys. Hang tough,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update as of 9:30PM central time, 13.56" in the last 24 hours, 20.20" of rain since late Friday evening. Getting hit with another training band for the next couple of hours. Still have power.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Update as of 7:00AM central time, 22.80" of rain since late Friday evening. Virtually all of the greater Houston area (Visualize the state of Connecticut, Katy to Baytown west -> east, Conroe to Galveston north -> south) has received more than 20" of rain from Harvey and I believe every bayou is or has reach between 100-500 year flood levels. Fortunately the heavy rain band have move to our east as Harvey again approaches the gulf. What happens next?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
17,079 Posts
I've got family and friends down there, and I've been watching this all weekend. I cannot even fathom what's going on. I can picture 20 - 30 inches of fluffy snow, but that much rain is incomprehensible.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone :)

·
Registered
582 Posts
Prayers to all of our Eastern Texas members, stay safe and godspeed to everyone down there.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Another 1.48" today as of 5:15PM for a storm total of 24.28" since Friday night.

·
Super Moderator
17,079 Posts
Didn't I see that the NGuard released several dams as well to help alleviate the pressure behind them, thus adding an additional 3 - 4" of water everywhere?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
As of 7:00AM Tuesday morning, 8/29, the storm total for us is 26.20" since Friday night and still raining. The rain plum has pretty much stopped about 30 miles west of us and we've only received 3.4" of rain in the last 24 hours. Still I expect well over 100,000 homes will be flooded by this event. Most of the Houston area has received over 30" inches and some areas of southeast Houston over 40" of rain. How do you even process that?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Talk about a one-two punch. My hopes that Texas and Louisiana both have a speedy recovery.

On a related note, Mazda just announced they are donating $100K to the Red Cross for Harvey relief efforts. The Houston Rockets owner is donating $10M and donation efforts from JJ Watt from the Houston Texans has raised about $5M. It's all a drop in the bucket versus the inevitable billions that Harvey will cause in total damages but anything helps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I know it’s a old thread but some people have just recovered from Harvey and last month they were flooded out again very sad I’m in Friendswood area and our house didn’t flood thank God but I’m still going to keep buying flood insurance one never knows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts