Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove both a 6i 5spd and a 6s auto before ordering my 6s 5spd and here are a few things I noticed:

1. Steering is excellent on both with a defined "center" and quick and linear response.
2. The 2.3 motor sounded better than I expected and while not what I would call fast, it was very entertaining to drive.
3. I do not like the auto with sportshift one bit. It takes WAY too long to change gears on upshifts, and if it doesn't think you should downshift it won't let you.
4. Both cars were very stable at 100-110 mph.
5. Both cars cornered very flat and were well damped with little or no oscillation. Both were very nimble feeling like much smaller and lighter cars.
6. Both cars rotate the rear end VERY well for a 4 door FWD vehicle. Using either lift off throttle or trail brake.
7. Both cars remained suprisingly neutral up to their limits where they both exhibit understeer. Mild 0n the 6s and moderate on the 6i. This suprised me because I thought the extra weight of the 6s would cause it to understeer more, but it seemed to grab better where the 6i would actually push and slide the front tires under heavy cornering. Could be the tires..? I didn't look to see if they were the same or not.
8. Both cars had very good brakes.
9. The 6i 5spd was louder and growled more than the 6s auto. Is this a the same on the 6s 5spd? I hope not.
10. The 5sp of the 6i was nice...light, smooth and just a little notchy.
11. The clutch on the 6i 5spd was light but the engagement zone seemed to be odd to me at first... perhaps I would get used to it over time.

Well that's my thoughts. I love this car and I think I'm going to be very pleased with my 6s 5spd if it ever comes...:sarc

Jon

·
Registered
67 Posts
Reading Topic: Testdrive: 6s auto and 6i 5spd

I haven't driven a 6i myself, since I want a V6 (I'm currently driving a 2002 4-cylinder manual Camry). I've driven both the manual and automatic 6s, though, and I agree with you about the automatic. I found that there was a noticable lag between when you flick the shift lever up or down, and when it actually shifts. Plus, it seems unnatural to shift without a clutch. :) I've go t a 6s manual on order... waiting... waiting... :)

·
Registered
376 Posts

i think both manual and auto are good choices.

Who do you think this car was designed for? i'm asking that cause the m6 is compared with both Accord and Camry... to me owning a Camry means you are around 40 and have children so automatic trans must be a more popular choice... so if the 6 compares to those cars, the long term value of an automatic would suffer less...

but then you drive a nice car without the fun of shifting...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Testdrive: 6s auto and 6i 5spd'

hi regarding how the auto shifs i couldnt find the stick so i got the five speed auto fully loaded s all you have to do is take off trackion controle and take first gear up to about 5,000 rpm and shift into second and then take second thrught fith to 6,000 rpm and it is just like a manual:)

·
Registered
446 Posts

Originally posted by Jonnyspeed6s
4. Both cars were very stable at 100-110 mph.[/b]
LOL, you got to 100mph on your test drive?!

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

Mazda 666, I'm not sure of the demographics, but if it helps I'm 29/Male/Married with no kids (yet)...

CVette, Yep.. I sure did. You can do things like that when the dealer lets you take the car for a test drive by yourself :) Btw.. I was also taking 35 MPH curves at 70 MPH...That's how I know that the front pushes on the 6i ;)

Jon

·
Registered
305 Posts

Mazda666,

Don't stereotype. :) I'm going to be 38 in July (aaargh!); just had my first kid, and I wouldn't dream of driving something as dull as a Camry. Love the 6!

·
Registered
32 Posts

I'm glad to see that this car appeals to different demographics. I just turned 21 and I love this car (though I'm still waiting for mine, two weeks!?). I think that because this was designed to be the successor to the 626 and Millennia, Mazda though it would appeal to the demographic that owned/owns those cars. I'm glad that they seem to be wrong, but it certainly isn't helping me get what I want!

·
Registered
231 Posts

Originally posted by Jonnyspeed6s

Mazda 666, I'm not sure of the demographics, but if it helps I'm 29/Male/Married with no kids (yet)...

Jon[/b]
Me too. I guess we're both dinky's (double income no kids). I wouldn't be surprised if this made up a solid 1/3 of M6 owners.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts