Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Swedish Auto motor & sport, as I have showed you before the rank was:
BMW320-Audi A4-Volvo S60-Ford Mondeo-Saab 9-3-Mazda6-Alfa 156JTS.

Points in Emotional Quality and Intelligence Quality parts as follows:
BMW 27-23=50
Audi 24-24=48
Volvo 23-22=45
Ford 20-24=44
Saab 24-20=44
Mazda 18-25=43
Alfa 22-14=36

EQ parts=Fun to drive, Comfort, Engine/transmission, Quality feeling, Image, Design.
IQ parts=Economy, Safety, Roominess, Luggage, Relyability, Driving safety.

Mazda6 EQ in order like above=4,2,3,3,1,5
Mazda6 IQ in order like above=3,4,5,5,4,4

Mazda6 got a low place because of Image and road noice.
The test took place in sweden and covered 14 pages in the magazine.

2. Swedish Teknikens Värld:
Tested following cars : Volvo S60 2.4T, Saab 9-3 175hp, Audi A4 1.8T, BMW 325, Alfa 156JTS, Mazda6 2.3sport, Mercedes C-klass.

Outcome:
They didn't rank all cars but top spots is like this:
Saab 9-3 - Volvo S60/Audi A4 - Mazda6 and then the rest.

Mazda didn't win because of:
Road noice -again! :(
Interior feeling not up to Audi class. (I think Audis interior is dark and boring though)

The test covered as I remember it 16 pages and took place in Sweden.

3. German Auto Motor und Sport:
Tested cars were Mazda6 1.8, Opel Vectra 1.8 and VW Passat 2.0

Outcome:
Mazda6 won by a rather large margin.
Road noice were here 4 times higher than Opel Vectra, 71dB against 65dB at 100km/h.
3dB = double sound pressure, 3+3 = 2*2 =4 times higher sound pressure.
But a human ear need 10dB to feel like it is a double sound volume.
Funny enough they didn't find the noice higher in reality all cars got nearly same points in this part.

I really hope they will fix the problem with road noice before I get my Mazda6 in february!
The car will beat any other car if they fix that! :p

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Test result from three car magazines'

Originally posted by junkan

1. Swedish Auto motor & sport, as I have showed you before the rank was:
BMW320-Audi A4-Volvo S60-Ford Mondeo-Saab 9-3-Mazda6-Alfa 156JTS.

Points in Emotional Quality and Intelligence Quality parts as follows:
BMW 27-23=50
Audi 24-24=48
Volvo 23-22=45
Ford 20-24=44
Saab 24-20=44
Mazda 18-25=43
Alfa 22-14=36

EQ parts=Fun to drive, Comfort, Engine/transmission, Quality feeling, Image, Design.
IQ parts=Economy, Safety, Roominess, Luggage, Relyability, Driving safety.

Mazda6 EQ in order like above=4,2,3,3,1,5
Mazda6 IQ in order like above=3,4,5,5,4,4

Mazda6 got a low place because of Image and road noice.
The test took place in sweden and covered 14 pages in the magazine.[/b]
What can I say? They have understood that Mazda6 has a marvellous design! They gave 2 for comfort - that's really not fair. And image 1 - okay Mazda let their image drop quite a bit. But to actually weight that score as equally important to any other factor like safety, reliability etc. is ridiculous!! In reality, Mazda wins this test bigtime if you over-look the stupid parts of the EQ. Note that in IQ Mazda beats them all (what have I told you all the time?)

2. Swedish Teknikens Värld:
Tested following cars : Volvo S60 2.4T, Saab 9-3 175hp, Audi A4 1.8T, BMW 325, Alfa 156JTS, Mazda6 2.3sport,  Mercedes C-klass.

Outcome:
They didn't rank all cars but top spots is like this:
Saab 9-3 - Volvo S60/Audi A4 - Mazda6 and then the rest.

Mazda didn't win because of:
Road noice -again!  :(  
Interior feeling not up to Audi class. (I think Audis interior is dark and boring though)

The test covered as I remember it 16 pages and took place in Sweden.[/b]
I didn't read that test. But the same magazine said Mazda6 2,3 sport was "best buy" in comparison with Alfa 156, Audi A4 Avant, BMW 320, Ford Mondeo 2.0 and Volvo V40 T4...

3. German Auto Motor und Sport:
Tested cars were Mazda6 1.8, Opel Vectra 1.8 and VW Passat 2.0

Outcome:
Road noice were here 4 times higher than Opel Vectra, 71dB against 65dB at 100km/h.
Funny enough they didn't find the noice higher in reality all cars got nearly same points in this part.[/b]
Of course it wins with that competition! As to fulfill your excellent explanation about sound pressure, also notice that 3dB is the lowest pressure change the human ear can hear. And 71dB isn't very loud...

I really hope they will fix the problem with road noice before I get my Mazda6 in february!
The car will beat any other car if they fix that! :p[/b]
Well, I wouldn't worry if I were you. The noise in Mazda6 isn't bothering... I have no problem driving around in my present 626, and Mazda6 is WAY more quiet and comfortable...:D

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Test result from three car magazines'

Outcome:
Funny enough they didn't find the noice higher in reality all cars got nearly same points in this part.

Of course it wins with that competition! As to fulfill your excellent explanation about sound pressure, also notice that 3dB is the lowest pressure change the human ear can hear. And 71dB isn't very loud...

The car will beat any other car if they fix that! :p[/b]
Well, I wouldn't worry if I were you. The noise in Mazda6 isn't bothering... I have no problem driving around in my present 626, and Mazda6 is WAY more quiet and comfortable...:D [/b][/quote]

Oh, heck, I forget my chart, but just think - it's real easy to have a car stereo hit about 120Db's (after that it gets a bit more difficult). And remember, you have to multiply wattage by ten to double volume (as eluded to).

If I recall correctly, normal road noise is rated at about 70Db's...So the '6 is right on target...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts