Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So today I started to test fit the new front bumper. Some small problems with fitting on the sides, but other than that I just need to drill holes where it will attach and grind some spots down and it will be good to go for painting on Monday. At first I was a little worried when I was trying to attach it, but I'm not so much now.
Only problem I have is attaching the side skirts. Anyone have any suggestions? I imagine that I just need to drill holes on the end and place them where the mud guard sits on the front and just on the liner on the back, then attach with double sided tape along the sides of the car?? Any suggestions or tips are appreciated. Anyway, here is a couple pics before the painting:

I took the mesh out of the center during fitting. It did come with all of the mesh

As you can see here, there are some small fitment issues, but I just need to grind down some thick spots and it should fit fine...

I cant wait to get it painted... it's going to look good. The weird looking spots are just tape residue... gotta love packing tape.

·
Registered
978 Posts
wow! that's going to look so much better! congrats and hope all goes smoothly! let me know when it's done...i'd like to see what it looks like.

·
Registered
488 Posts
tasty, is this baby damn low? i rememeber a member here who had version 1 fitted and couldnt get around very conveniently at all...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hopefully it will be all ready to go for a springs install mike. :)

So far thats my favorite kit and would get if i new it wouldn't crack.
[/b]
We will see how this one goes. It's the new Thermo Flex Fiber and seems to be fairly flexible. I can only cross my fingers that it won't crack very easily

tasty, is this baby damn low? i rememeber a member here who had version 1 fitted and couldnt get around very conveniently at all...
[/b]
It sits about 1.5 - 2 inches lower than the non sports factory bumper, so it's not too much lower. I plan on dropping the car another inch or so, but it shouldn't be too low to manuver. :D

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, anyone have any suggestions or help on how to install the side skirts? There arent mounting brackets like on the OEM and some other aftermarket sideskirts. Like I said above, I am thinking that I have to attach it on the ends and then double sided tape along the side of the car, but I am not 100%

Thanks!!

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Unfortunatly you are going to have to do youre best and drill into the side of the car. That is the way they are held on. If you can surround the areas with tape and drill throught he tape. It may be a challenege but it is the only sure way they are going to stay on. I would be affraid the tape would come off over time.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Unfortunatly you are going to have to do youre best and drill into the side of the car. That is the way they are held on. If you can surround the areas with tape and drill throught he tape. It may be a challenege but it is the only sure way they are going to stay on. I would be affraid the tape would come off over time.
[/b]
Hmmm, thats where I'm running into the biggest problem. There are no spots to mount with, except on the very ends where it tucks into the wheel well. Do you mean that I will need to drill along the very top edge of the skirt?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Hmmm, thats where I'm running into the biggest problem. There are no spots to mount with, except on the very ends where it tucks into the wheel well. Do you mean that I will need to drill along the very top edge of the skirt?

Thanks!
[/b]
You will need a template then you will have to drill in to the side of the car about 8 holes per side all the way down. ....It sucks ass. Use the spots at the end in teh wheel wells to attach the bumper so tha tyou can line everything up correctly while marking where the holes need to be drilled down teh side of the car..I had to drill mine when I got the lip kit. Luckily Sabrina provided a template with it so that helped alot but it was still nerve wrecking as hell drilling. I highly suggest getting more then one person on the job. I had to do it myself and it was a real pain getting everything lined up perfectly... Then you want to make sure to seal and paint the edges so you don't get rust.

·
Registered
1,871 Posts
Im not sure which sideskirts you're running but if they came from that group buy and are the Kenstyle ones then you have to screw them in on the front and rear.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im not sure which sideskirts you're running but if they came from that group buy and are the Kenstyle ones then you have to screw them in on the front and rear.
[/b]
Yeah, thats what it looks like I am going to have to do... there really is no other way and thats fine by me

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That bumper looks like it BARELY needs to be prepped for paint. Looks good.
[/b]
It actually fit without any modification (other than holes where it attaches) I know I said above that I needed to grind some spots, well I actually just needed to remove some white clips where the stock bumper attaches and it fits perfectly. My bodyshop friends were amazed at how well it fit. Its getting painted and should be out by friday, Monday at the very latest. I will not hesitate to get it put on and take pictures, I can assure you of that. I am also picking up a factory sport rear bumper (hopefully Friday) to have it painted as well. I can't wait to get it all completed. Very high quality bumper... I'll give that to Accolade

But I noticed those things don't come with side markers eh?
[/b]
Correct... No more side markers. I dunno if its a good or a bad thing...

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
how much did you end up paying for the kit?
[/b]
paid $700 shipped for the kit (front and sides) and $190 for a sports rear bumper from Ron Tonkin Mazda here in Portland. I paid $600 for the painting (neighbor is a body shop)

We need to meet up so I can see that thing in person once it's done painted.
[/b]
I'm installing it tomorrow (finally) so whenever man! I'm going to be installing springs soon and also getting new wheels/tires. Then HID, leather seats.... then???? :D

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
paid $700 shipped for the kit (front and sides) and $190 for a sports rear bumper from Ron Tonkin Mazda here in Portland. I paid $600 for the painting (neighbor is a body shop)
I'm installing it tomorrow (finally) so whenever man! I'm going to be installing springs soon and also getting new wheels/tires. Then HID, leather seats.... then???? :D
[/b]
What time? I'm planning on going to the "Draft the Stache" rally at 10:50 in Tualatin. I'm free in the afernoon.

I can help you out with the sideskirts if you haven't done them yet.

What are you gonna do with your old wheels?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
that kit
on my car
NOW

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
About this Discussion
25 Replies
15 Participants
Zm_Zm_Saint
Mazda 6 Forums
Mazda6club.com is a forum dedicated to the Mazda6 / Atenza. Come and discuss reliability, performance, modifications, and more!
Full Forum Listing