Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I had another thread started, but it was more on the topic of certain options/warranty situations. This is a write up of my first time in the driver seat of an MS6, tell me if any of this sounds normal... If it's normal, I won't waste my time driving others this weekend in Minneapolis.

For the record, I will NOT even consider this particular ms6.

Man... I was disapointed guys... I reallly reallllly hope it was that particular car. For real. I mean, this is a 14.0 second car if I'm not mistaken, and it felt just like a 1.8t jetta my roomate has.... if my eyes were closed that's what I'd think. It only has 35k miles, so I honestly hope something was wrong, but I don't know what? Boost leak?! I don't know.

Worst yet, let me know if this is normal, but when I'd floor it through first, there was a clunky-ish, almost a grind sound coming somewhere through the drive train. "rick jr" the dealer (driver of the car for the past 9 months (abuse?)) claims he never heard it although my friend and I both couldn't believe what we were hearing. He claimed, yeah, it's just because it's wet outside and that's the tires spinning. NO... that was not tires spinning, it honestly did kind of sound like when you're in a 4WD jeep and it's locked and your turning on wet pavement... BUT.. it did this going perfectly straight, twice, and while turning... so it's not the rear diff locking or something as we were turning... nope... IS THIS NORMAL!?!?!

Like I said, I plan to test drive a few others in Minneapolis this weekend while I'm up there to compare and contrast and see if it's just THAT particular car.

And not to be "that guy" who always talks about some other brand or something something, but I drive my dad's Lexus is350 quiet a bit, which is a very mean car, but I feel like the MS6 would've been simply eaten alive 10 times over by it. It took a good long time to get to 80... I think he was hiding something from me, and conveniently the drive train warranty was JUST up, so as to prevent me from going to a dealer, getting it checked out, and then them saying, this wouldn't be covered under warranty anyway.... THOUGHTS? ABUSED?

Whatcha think guys?

·
Registered
3,751 Posts
Not sure why the repost, but I'll repost my response then as well:

Sounds like a piece of junk. Avoid it.

My car is far from stock so 80 comes very, very fast, but if I remember correctly from 3 years ago it wasn't particularly slow stock either.

I think you've answered your own question whether or not clunking noises in the drive train are normal or not. Move on, drive another.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Doesn't sound normal at all. I'd be driving another one if for no other reason, at least to make sure.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Everybody knows I'm pretty critical of the MS6. But, if you're really interested in the car, I suggest you try to drive another. There's no Kraut 1.8t that can hang with me, even when stock.
My car has pissed me off in the past, and while alot have had PTO, tranny, and diff/diff mount problems, my car has always been reliable for heavy thrust.

Reactions: Japan8 and Spazdog

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
PTO? All that's ringing a bell is PITA...? haha What's PTO? I think tractors have a PTO, but it's an output shaft for augers, bailers, etc etc... doubt too many MS6's have that option...

Yeah... I'm really hoping it was this car... according to my simple math, a car with 280 tq, and a SHORT gear ratio should've PULLED MORE than an is350 which has 277 tq and a taller gear ratio... My butt dyno again told me that of half of what I should've experienced...

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
im sure the rear diff mounts are shot. There crap new so any car you buy you should replace them. Might want to do some research, thou all the FAQs are gone sense this "(down)upgrade" to the forums. And any car you buy you need to get under it.

·
Registered
3,415 Posts
PTO? All that's ringing a bell is PITA...? haha What's PTO? I think tractors have a PTO, but it's an output shaft for augers, bailers, etc etc... doubt too many MS6's have that option...

Yeah... I'm really hoping it was this car... according to my simple math, a car with 280 tq, and a SHORT gear ratio should've PULLED MORE than an is350 which has 277 tq and a taller gear ratio... My butt dyno again told me that of half of what I should've experienced...
PTO is the transfer case. You probably test drove a car that's been beat to death. The sales people don't sound honest and seem like they're trying to just get rid of a car that's been fucked up. You can definitely find one in good shape. Keep checking Autotrader, Craigslist, your local newspapers and news stations web pages, etc. They all have classifieds.

·
Registered
5,342 Posts
Sounds like you're making a fine choice. Don't give up just yet.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Grinding noise isn't good, lack of power could be due to many things wrong, but my guess is the guy was running 87 grade gas and not 91/93... So for safety it de-tuned itself automatically. I got mine with 34ish K miles, at about 47K now, not one problem. Just check out the threads here thourougly, lots of good info. Biggest things: Keep it out of boost under 3K-3.5K, and shift smoothly until you can get engine/rear diff mounts, don't launch either. Good luck.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It wasn't really a grinding, more of a vibration or thudding quickly... I don't know.. I guess if it's the diff rocking around that'd make sense.. but why only under full throttle in first?...

Yeah... crappy gas could be it, I don't know, I don't trust that one at all.

·
Registered
4,099 Posts
because the diff mounts suck.
OR the diff mount is broken more likely.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Just an FYI also, these cars are very sensitive to fuel octane levels.
Most dealerships put in cheap 87 octane or whatever the lowest in your area is. These cars need at least 91 but 93 is reccomend, lower octane gas actually kills the performance of this car... Almost like goes into limp mode.

Aww crap, looks like Blaise already said the same thing above, I really need to refresh my page before I post...duh

·
Risickulous
4,862 Posts

The MS6 actually does have a PTO instead of a center diff. The output shaft is driven full time with the front axles. The rear diff has an electronic clutch pack that turns on and off to engage the rear diff and make the car AWD in various amounts. The most it can do is 50/50 which would be a fully locked clutch pack.

·
Lowspeed
6,280 Posts
sounds like knock retard kicking in or rear diff- could be either based on the description

regardless- main answer is the same as everybody elses above- move on from that dealer.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yeah it was a small independent dealer. His lot is flooded with luxury performance cars. He's obviously got classy taste, a nice lot, but clearly he knew something was up with this car. Unless the car sells, I'm gonna test drive another one for sure this weekend though. I also have a guy who's selling one privately, that I do wanna check out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you just visiting the twin cities for the weekend? I live here, and noticed there are about 4 on craigslist over the last week or so. Prob worth checking out. I bought my 06 MS6 from craigslist back in October and had a good experience. Much better overall than the dealers I looked at.
Also, the one thing I remember about the test drives was the torque. I wasn't used to driving an IS350 previously, but the ones I drove (bone stock) kicked me back in my seat pretty good and got to 80 very quickly.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts