Mazda 6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I test drove a 6i today. The dealer said he wouldn't have a manual tranny until May or June! I said I'd have to buy one elsewhere then :)

Anyway, he let me take the 6i out for a spin knowing he wouldn't make a deal, which I thought was nice. Acceleration with the 6i w/ auto is no better than a CamCord- and less torquey than the Camry. Since I want the i4, I was disappointed, but hope the 5spd helps out. Then again, I was nice, and wasn't pushing the card too hard.

Everything else I could say we've heard before, except a few points. (I'm trying not to be redundant)

There was a rattle beyond the steering wheel. I am not the first to report this. We can ask Steve 6er what the dealer says when he brings his car in.

The base stereo does have the speed sensitive volume.

The base stereo sounds hallow just like the Bose option, but has sufficient volume. Aftermarket speakers alone would probably be sufficient for audio enthusiasts.

The sport package is way sexier than I thought possible. This was my first time seeing them back-to-back. It's a larger difference that I thought.

The brakes catch REAL quick. Braking was strong, but not class-leading without ABS. I wish ABS was standard, cause I'm forced to choose between that or the sport package with the current options.

If I had one complaint, though, it would be that the car was too refined to be fun. The engine wasn't loud enough and bumps were absorbed so well that I felt disconnected with the road. I like knowing when I'm stressing the engine or ruining my suspension. I think the Protege may have been a more fun experience for me, but I had a very bad (highway driving) test drive loop. I'll definately reserve judgement for a PROPER test drive :)

So, those are my nit-picks. Overall, an awesome car, but you all already knew that, and I didn't want to repeat everyone else's words.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Replying to Topic 'Test drove my first 6!'

I guess everyone has a totally different opinion... other people said the car was "too loud" when reving the engine... won't be a problem for me because I'll have my BOSE pumping some tunes out!! :p :p :p

·
Registered
24 Posts

after i test drive the 4cyc and 6 cyc yesterday. I like the 4 cyc more than the 6cyc because the 4cyc give you much nicer tone of the engine. Yes, the 6cyc is more quiet but this is a sport sedan. We are not driving the luxury car. It is a good handling car more like European car. The interior is nice and easy to use. We also test drive the new Accord as well. The interior of the Accord take time to get use to it, look more confusing. I think if you compare with Camry, Altima, Accord. The only come close is Accord overall. The Camry and Altima both are cheap plastic interior but they are bigger.

·
Registered
58 Posts

I finally got a test drive! There are not many 6s in Seattle - I think I found 2 manual transmissions on the locate vehicle section of Mazda USA web site.

Tested car: silver 6s, 5sp, the works (sports, bose, comfort, premium packages).

Steve - finally realize why you've been raving about this car!!

Suspension was perfectly taught, steering nice and tight, seats comfortable, everything perfectly at hand. Acceleration on the v6 was very powerful all along the tach (of course, I'm used to my 110 hp 626). Interior was pretty quiet too with just the perfect amount of engine growling coming through.

Unfortunately, i4 5sp probably won't be here until early January :-(

On the positive side, seems like the Bose audio package will be able to be ordered with any combination of other packages - it may just take a while to get.

Now I just have to see if I'll have a job - parent company is merging in Japan so not sure what's going to be happening in the US. If it looks like I'll be employed, I'll be ordering a 6i for sure!

MM

·
Premium Member
5,097 Posts

Yeah, MM, I guess my raving didn't make sense until you got to try one yourself. I understand that. But it sure is a great car. Love every minute of mine.

Hope you get to keep your job so you can have one too. I'll have my fingers crossed for you.:)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts